Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple releases OS X 10.10.3, Photos for Mac, iOS 8.3

Apple releases OS X 10.10.3, Photos for Mac, iOS 8.3
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 8, 2015, 02:15 PM

With today's release of OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, Apple is officially releasing its iPhoto replacement program Photos for the Mac. While the program has already been in use on iOS for some time, the new program sits alongside existing iPhoto or Aperture libraries with its own copy, and adds new abilities and features we have previously reported on. The update, leaked earlier today, also brings a non-beta version of iCloud Photo Library and new emoji, while the iOS 8.3 release shares the emoji improvements and adds wireless CarPlay support, along with new Siri accents and languages.

The iOS 8.3 is considered the more minor of the two releases, but includes dozens of bug fixes for screen rotation issues, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disconnects and much-improved performance all around, including notably better Control Center, Messages, Wi-Fi, third-party keyboard and launching performance, as well as better-behaved Safari tabs.

Passbook on iOS has been upgraded to separate Apple Pay content from other forms such as tickets to events or airline boarding passes. The App Store now allows users to turn off a password requirement to download if the content is free, and Messages can now optionally keep conversations from known contacts and others separate. Siri has added new accents and languages, and many new emoji characters (and the ability to customize them for different skin tones, for example) have been added. Support for the forthcoming Apple Watch has also been added.

For OS X, Photos is the major addition to the existing OS, though as with iOS there are numerous bug fixes and "under-the-hood" improvements. The new Photos app is intended to eventually replace iPhoto, but does not overwrite the app or change existing iPhoto libraries, but offers to create a separate Photos library based on an existing iPhoto or Aperture library so that users can work with the program before moving over full-time.

Related to the arrival of Photos, the optional iCloud Photo Library has also left beta, giving users the option to buy storage on iCloud.com to hold their photo libraries. This makes the entire collection of photos and videos accessible to mobile devices without the libraries taking up any space, since images are streamed to the device through a cellular or Wi-Fi connection on demand. Photos offers a number of new features, but does not include every feature found in iPhoto. MacNN has previously published a detailed guide to the changes, plusses and minuses of Photos in its current form, though Apple plans to expand the program over time.

The bugfixes in 10.10.3 largely deal with Wi-Fi performance (particularly for public Wi-Fi hotspots, also known as "captive networks"), Bluetooth device connections, screen sharing, and compatibility with the new Force Touch-equipped devices such as the current 13-inch MacBook Pro and the forthcoming 12-inch Retina MacBook. Safari has been beefed up with better security and stability, including privacy enhancements to Private Browsing mode.

Both updates went through a lengthy process of both developer and public testing. OS X 10.10.3 saw seven beta releases to developers, while iOS 8.3 went through four iterations across

The two updates can be found and downloaded from Apple immediately. OS X 10.10.3 is available from the Updates section of the Mac App Store, while iOS 8.3 can be downloaded through the Software Update panel in Settings, under General. Devices should be plugged into power before the download and install is attempted, and iOS users should ensure that they are on Wi-Fi before upgrading. As usual, a full backup is recommended prior to any system update on either platform.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 9, 2015 at 01:27 AM. )

cvbcvb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2015, 02:43 PM

A link to this would be great:

> MacNN has previous published a detailed guide to the changes, plusses and minuses of Photos in its current form,...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2015, 03:00 PM

I can't see myself putting all my photos in the cloud. My library is 140GB.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 8, 2015, 03:29 PM

So far so good.
Four OS X 10.10.3 updates performed without problem (including 1 production machine).

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 8, 2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flying Meat View Post
So far so good.
Four OS X 10.10.3 updates performed without problem (including 1 production machine).
You update a production workstation the same day the OS update is released???

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 8, 2015, 04:47 PM

Yep!
I work in an IT department, and I'm somewhat responsible for determining if updates break things.
I have a long history of Apple support and various certifications throughout the years.
Nothing broken so far, and since I'm working on creating images for the Early 2015 models to be deployed at this location, I might as well kill a couple birds with the one minigu, er, stone.
10.10.3 "should" be a unified release, so the 10.10.2 custom builds for the Early 2015s shouldn't be required any more.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2015, 08:23 PM

Photos...disappointing. I know, I know...version 1.0. But, Places? Basic info/metadata editing? Note: KEEP YOUR APERTURE, a pray someone buys out the rights to it from Apple and develops it further. Affinity Photo may be the closest but they have a long way to go in file management. Can't/won't go Adobe subscription...not worth it. So KEEP YOUR APERTURE!!
--
Stuke

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2015, 08:59 PM

Don't just keep you Aperture, keep your iPhoto! In keeping with Apple's recent moves with their other products (iWork, for example), "Photos" is a functionally limited product by Mac standards. The options for organization are more limited (Events are gone as far as I can tell), and in 30 minutes of playing around I was unable to find a Sharpness control or the ability to reveal a photo's actual location on the hard-drive. Now it's possible those features are there, but if I couldn't find them in 30 minutes then something is fundamentally wrong with the UI. I was also unable to find a way to show text under buttons on the toolbar, something which I prefer (I like to know what buttons do without having to bother figuring out what the "wonderful new icon of the week" is suppose to signify). Hopefully, as with iWork, there will be a huge outcry and Apple will be forced to replace many of the missing features. One would think, however, that with all the negative responses they have had so far to their policy of dumbing-down Mac apps to match their iOS versions, that they would have learned by now that people want something fundamentally different on different platforms. Keeping my fingers crossed for a better versions soon, but for now all that extra Photos library is doing is taking up space (I'll be deleting it).

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2015, 09:16 PM

OK, so I finally found the sharpen tool. It's hidden under a small "Add" button when you are in adjustments. Hope that helps some of you! (This is a great example of the types of changes that the users I support absolutely HATE, and which I dislike to a lesser degree while understanding their frustration: This is one of the most common features used when working with Photos, but for some reason Apple's decided to hide it away and make it harder to get to.) I finally Googled it and found a screen-shot that directed me to the proper place. But why? There just doesn't seem to be any good reason for it to be that way.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2015, 12:43 AM

@Stuke: you don't need "Adobe subscription" if it's Lightroom that you're after. And seeing that you're talking about Aperture here, this seems to be the case. Lightroom is still available as as "normal" purchase, without subscribing to Creative Cloud.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2015, 12:45 AM

MacNN, your headline is misleading. It appears as if Apple released OS X 10.10.3 *and* Photos for Mac, the latter being a separate download and not part of the aforementioned 10.10.3. One might assume that Photos could be downloaded independently from 10.10.3.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2015, 01:02 AM

I was greeted by no keyboard because "Bluetooth Unavailabe" Running the diagnaostic tool got it back. (late 2013 27")
45/47

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2015, 01:03 AM

ATT LTE still seems faster on my iPad than WiFi after updating to iOS 8.3.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2015, 01:07 AM

cvbcvb: my apologies, I thought I had linked that. I will add a link to our report on Photos in that spot.

Driven: For a collection that size, it would cost $4 per month for the 200GB tier of iCloud storage. If you're willing to put up with ads and such, Flickr offers 1TB of cloud storage for free.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2015, 01:32 AM

I can report that 10.10.3 appears to have solved a long-standing "Instant Hotspot" bug that was causing that feature to work very sporadically when connecting a MacBook Pro to an iPhone 5s. I believe it was an OS X issue because iOS-to-iOS (say iPhone to iPad) worked perfectly every time.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Apr 9, 2015, 06:55 AM

Dear me what an ugly icon. First it was a sunset view, then they made the colors all wrong and blue (sunsets are not blue), but this icon looks just like Game Center, and it's the same awful icon on the iOS.

Hey I just realized something, Launchpad's icon is all wrong, it should be a purple bubble, just because.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 10, 2015, 06:49 AM

Shortly after updating to 10.10.3, my computer had a freak out, and it takes an extra 30 seconds for my computer to boot up. I already tried repairing permissions, but it didn't help. I get a gray screen on boot, and it just sits there, and then finally the Apple logo pops up. How do I fix this?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2015, 03:30 PM

Go into system preferences and re-select the Startup disk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules