Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple updates iTunes, declares 2009 MacBook Pros obsolete

Apple updates iTunes, declares 2009 MacBook Pros obsolete
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 9, 2015, 06:59 PM

Apple has updated its iTunes music software for OS X separately of its 10.10.3 release yesterday. The new version, 12.1.2, adds support for the OS X Photos application that was included in 10.10.3, though it also still supports iPhoto. The update brings sync support for Photos to sync to iOS devices. It has also added support for syncing with iOS 8.3, and made general "refinements" to the Get Info display in iTunes, as well as improving overall stability.

Apple has been gently weaning users off needing to use iTunes as a hub for syncing information such as photos and music, preferring either iCloud syncing or other iCloud-related services, like the existing iTunes Match service -- which offers to store users' entire libraries of music (up to 25,000 non-iTunes tracks) in the cloud for streaming access -- or the newly-emerged-from-beta iCloud Photo Library, which offers to store users' entire photo libraries at full resolution, with device-optimized versions streamed on demand to devices. The two services, both of which will require users to pay modest fees, are designed to free up space from the limited capacities of iPhones, iPads, or the iPod touch.

The company also updated its official list of products it considers "vintage or obsolete" on Thursday to now include all models of the 2009 MacBook Pro. The reclassification falls into the general timeline of products becoming "obsolete" for support purposes after a period of four to five years.

The change has little meaningful effect on users of those models, as any AppleCare warranties on them would have expired at least a year ago. It may have some impact, however, on owners who have certain parts failures for which Apple will no longer make replacements, making them much harder to find in years to come.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2015, 07:20 PM

...old stock & refurbs can have applecare added, so dates can shift...
The vintage list seems impressively long, leaving me asking about the sustainability claims that Apple seems to base at least some marketing on...? Where do all those rare earth metals end up, anyway...?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2015, 08:11 PM

http://www.apple.com/environment/finite-resources/

http://www.apple.com/environment/toxins/
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2015, 08:18 PM

www.ifixit.com/Info/environment
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...nerals-warning
http://www.businessinsider.com/solar...te-2013-2?op=1
http://www.kcet.org/news/redefine/re...s-e-waste.html
It does not seem a black or white consideration...

Personally I have a mint 'older' Macbook Pro on Snow Leopard/Yosemite & Applecare to 2016...
I expect from a hardware perspective it could/should offer many years of use beyond that?
Should software offer functionality beyond annual support sunsets as well?
Of course there is always a pencil & paper - no solar panels, coal or nuclear power required...
And historical documents from 2000 let alone 20 years ago can be read with ease...
Apple didn't offer an Appleworks import in Pages? It took the LibreOffice community to create that?
I keep asking if all the genius in Cupertino can offer a more unanimous solution...?
Is there much work still to do...?
( Last edited by bobolicious; Apr 9, 2015 at 08:47 PM. )

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2015, 10:02 PM

While I'm not opposed to Apple "officially" no longer supporting older models, I admit to finding it galling when they simply pretend perfectly good hardware is "obsolete" for the purposes of selling new hardware. Sometime the product they obsolete is for valid reasons, such as certain older video-chipsets being unable to support modern graphics APIs. Often, however, the reasons are completely fictitious and solely for the sake of gouging consumers out of more money. My personal "powerhouse" Mac is still an extremely quick Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded with a modern video-card. It runs Yosemite perfectly and definitely isn't obsolete in any way, despite what Apple claims. I've also installed ML on countless older MacBook and iMac systems which were officially "obsolete" with Lion, and these systems also run extremely well and reliably with no issues. It's a shame that Apple, with all the money they have, can't hire programmers as skilled as the unpaid "hackers" who have gotten these abandoned systems to function perfectly. Way to alienate your fans Apple!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2015, 05:10 AM

How long do you suggest the maintain spare parts inventory for all of their machines?

AppleCare has long expired for these machines. You can still get them repaired elsewhere.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 10, 2015, 10:41 AM

What I find interesting is this:

Apple previously had an easy excuse to drop support for older models... they kept changing architectures. I really don't see them doing this again for another 5-10 years. The only possibilities would be if they adopt ARM as their main desktop/laptop architecture. Or if Intel makes a major advancement with their x86 platform (e.g. Core duo vs. Core 2 Duo, or even 128bit processors).

Now that x86 has matured, Apple has to determine where they draw the line. And how they incorporate their planned obsolescence (that started with their mobile products) into their desktop and laptop models will be interesting.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 10, 2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
Or if Intel makes a major advancement with their x86 platform (e.g. Core duo vs. Core 2 Duo, or even 128bit processors).
How fast is 128-bit going to be, and how hard would it be to implement into OS X?

Also, why 128-bit, and why not go up to 256-bit cores?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 10, 2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
How fast is 128-bit going to be, and how hard would it be to implement into OS X?

Also, why 128-bit, and why not go up to 256-bit cores?
Speed is essentially irrelevant when making octal leaps in architecture, it's all about memory address size.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2015, 07:21 PM

Without going into a long post about it, my impression are that:

a. Most people have a very poor understanding of what the term "obsolete" actually means. Chances are it does not mean what you think it means. Look it up.

b. As an Apple user since the late 80s, I cannot think of a single instance ever where Apple dropped support for a product "just to sell new units." Pajandrum, you're going to have to come up with specific examples and some documentation to make that charge stick. Your Mac Pro 1,1 -- or any older model -- can be quick at some specific things still, but is it safe to put on the net? Can it handle, let's say, editing 4K video (which isn't that much of a thing yet, but will be soon enough)? Is it Apple's fault that standards for games and software keep going up, or is that a function of expanded versatility and ability?

All I'm saying is that there are laws that govern, and factors beyond capriciousness, when a given device has support dropped for it, and that it doesn't become non-functional when that point happens -- or (generally) for years afterward. If you haven't gotten your money's worth out of your Mac after say five or six years, that's a comment on you more than Apple, methinks.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

davoud
Apr 10, 2015, 10:49 PM

I had a problem with the keyboard on my "Early 2008" 17" MBP. MacMedics happened to have a brand-new replacement keyboard in stock. With the new keyboard and the 1GB SSD drive that I installed, the machine has a new lease on life. I have two newer MB Pro's, another 17" and a Retina SSD. Apple told me I had to have 17" laptops because I was a "Creative Pro." Then they told me I didn't need a 17" after all. They also told me I don't need Ethernet, FireWire, or more than two USB ports. I disagree. I keep the older machine because it contains some Mac-only astronomical software whose developer a) quit selling the software and b) will not allow it to be transferred to another Mac.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2015, 03:31 AM

Again: isn't that really a comment on the developer? As for ports -- ever heard of a hub? And as for the 17-inch model ... Apple didn't drop it out of a malicious desire to hurt you. They dropped it for the same reason most other manufacturers have stopped or limited their larger-than-15" models ... because they don't sell well.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
What I find interesting is this:

Apple previously had an easy excuse to drop support for older models... they kept changing architectures. I really don't see them doing this again for another 5-10 years. The only possibilities would be if they adopt ARM as their main desktop/laptop architecture. Or if Intel makes a major advancement with their x86 platform (e.g. Core duo vs. Core 2 Duo, or even 128bit processors).

Now that x86 has matured, Apple has to determine where they draw the line. And how they incorporate their planned obsolescence (that started with their mobile products) into their desktop and laptop models will be interesting.
Apple has obsoleted hardware after a five-year cutoff for at leas a decade (and probably several decades).

That hardware older than that is supported by the latest OS software upgrade is a quiet sensation and hasn't happened since the 1990s.

But it makes clear that this obsoleting has nothing to do with software: it's simply a matter of not endlessly producing/stockpiling spare parts and training authorized techs to work on these machines.

Go through independent repair shops - they can still source parts, and will still work on your machines. As always.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2015, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Martin View Post
Again: isn't that really a comment on the developer? As for ports -- ever heard of a hub? And as for the 17-inch model ... Apple didn't drop it out of a malicious desire to hurt you. They dropped it for the same reason most other manufacturers have stopped or limited their larger-than-15" models ... because they don't sell well.
That, AND the fact that most of the (very few) people who bought it, did so not because of the size of the screen, but its resolution.

The retina 15" made the primary purchase criterion for the vast majority of 17" customers irrelevant.

So yeah, maybe you really saw it as Apple "telling you what you need" (which is funny: I tend to KNOW what I need, and just consider offerings according to which is best-fitting/least-inappropriate to my needs), but by and large, they've never dropped anything without an alternative being available for those who really needed it. And yes, in some cases, that meant a different model.

Forum Links
Forum Rules