Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple Watch: Pre-orders live, delays, Apple Care+ prices revealed [U]

Apple Watch: Pre-orders live, delays, Apple Care+ prices revealed [U]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 10, 2015, 04:11 AM

Apple Watch pre-orders are now live in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK and the US, but only after a delay of several minutes past the scheduled go-live time. Despite renewed warnings that shipments would be constrained, some users may be disappointed, even shocked, to learn that some models may not be available until as late as August, according to live shipping information from the Apple Store. Users who seek an aluminum or one of the steel models might be getting theirs in a reasonable time frame -- but those hankering for a gold Edition could be waiting until August.

Based on a random selection of models picked by MacNN and Electronista during the online pre-order checkout process, customers who want the aluminum Apple Watch Sport models are already being advised of a minimum 4-6 week window for shipping -- seemingly, few if any customers who pre-order can expect their Apple Watch to arrive on or near the official availability date of April 24. Although it is likely that Apple is holding back some stock for walk-in customers on launch day, the company has been pushing customers to pre-order their device online.

Buyers who are after a stainless-steel Apple Watch model in silver with the matching link bracelet are currently seeing a 4-6 week shipping window. However, if one wants the space black stainless-steel Apple Watch model with matching link bracelet, they'll have to wait it out until June -- this nearly two months away at time of writing. Apple did previously say that the 18-carat gold Edition models would be available in limited quantities -- but even then, trying to pre-order one today will find that it will not be available until August at the earliest, according to the online Apple Store.

Also revealed for the first time is the Apple Care+ pricing for each of the Apple Watch models. The entry-level Apple Watch Sport model can be purchased with Apple Care+ protection for an additional $49. This covers buyers for two incidents annually for two years at a cost of $69 per incident. The Apple Watch (steel) protection plan will run you $69, while each repair/replacement will cost $79. When Apple Watch Edition customers can obtain their model, they can expect to pay an eye-watering $1,500 for Apple Care+, with each incident adding an additional $1,000 to the cost of ownership.

Additionally, some, but not all, Apple Watch bands are available for pre-order. Ironically, some are available to ship in as soon as 2-4 weeks, while the other bands that are available for pre-order won't ship until May.

Update:Apple has confirmed with MacNN and Electronista that the Apple Watch will only be available online "during the initial launch period." This means that there will be no Apple Watch models available in store for purchase on launch day or in the immediate period after launch. Further, despite some sites reporting that initial launch day orders sold out within the first hour, this does not align with our own experience of trying to pre-order an Apple Watch. The list of models we placed in our cart, as pictured below, were all placed in the cart within the first 2-10 minutes of availability -- the shortest wait time we found was 4-6 weeks. This would place any of the earliest shipping models well beyond the April 24 official drop date. It remains to be seen if any regular customers will receive their Apple Watch on or near April 24.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 10, 2015 at 07:40 PM. )

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2015, 07:22 AM

Ordered one for my wife and for me - both stainless steel. One small with Milanese loop, one large with link bracelet. Both estimated delivery between May 13 and May 27.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2015, 08:52 AM

Looking forward to your comments on how you and your wife like them!

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2015, 08:58 AM

I went with the Sport one, figuring I could save a few hundred bucks by getting a 3rd party band. I couldn't care less about looks; I just don't want rubber. Delivers 4/24-5/8

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 10, 2015, 10:15 AM

Yeah, there's going to be loads of third party bands, and adapters, very very soon.

davidlfoster
Apr 10, 2015, 11:59 AM

The April 24 date is pure fantasy. I logged into the site seconds after it opened and immediately ordered the watch configuration I desired, and was informed it would arrive sometime in June. And only by standard delivery, no in-store pickup (which for me is incredibly easier and more secure). Checking on ANY other model (a minute in now) and none were available in less than 4-6 weeks. So Apple really doesn't have much of anything to ship anytime soon, and even less to ship a lot later. I removed the item from my cart and went to bed holding onto about a grand I almost spilt away. Really, Apple, its sort of fraud to do this. At least when I bought almost every iPhone I've ever purchased, the devices were physically available on a certain date. They weren't hype wear like this thing is. This is almost a whimsical, fantasy release.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2015, 12:12 PM

I had mine ordered within 30 seconds of the store coming back online, so we shall see if 4/24 actually happens.

davidlfoster
Apr 10, 2015, 01:09 PM

Pottymouth (really? pottymouth? Is it descriptive):

Did the Apple site promise your purchase in 2 weeks (which would be the 24th) or 4-6 weeks which would be sometime in mid-May or later?

Just curious.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2015, 04:41 PM

There will definitely be some (perhaps plenty of certain models) available on 24-April -- but in stores. Apple only sets aside a percentage of its inventory for pre-order, and apparently it did better than expected. Despite all its efforts, Apple did not know in advance how well this device would sell, even among the Mac faithful.

If you need one in the immediate future, you will definitely have better luck at an Apple Store -- particularly if you want the gold one (though even at stores supply is EXTREMELY limited). The steel and aluminum ones look to be much more plentiful.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Sanjiv Sathiah
Apr 10, 2015, 07:19 PM

Bad news everyone. I have just confirmed with Apple that the only way to buy an Apple Watch "during the initial launch period," is through the online pre-order/order process. There will be no Apple Watch models available in store for purchase on launch day...
Electronista Staff

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by davidlfoster View Post
Did the Apple site promise your purchase in 2 weeks (which would be the 24th) or 4-6 weeks which would be sometime in mid-May or later?
I don't remember what it said when I clicked the order button, but the order confirmation email said "Delivers: 4/24-5/8". I went with the 38mm Space Gray Sport model, BTW

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2015, 02:21 AM

I hope that those of you who are among our regular readers and have ordered the Apple Watch will be willing to send in or post your impressions and experiences with it on our forums or in emails to [email protected]. We would love to hear about not just our reviewer's experience, but yours as well.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules