Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google cuts YouTube support for older Apple TV, Google TV, iOS devices

Google cuts YouTube support for older Apple TV, Google TV, iOS devices
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 21, 2015, 08:00 AM

Google is preparing to cut support for its YouTube apps on a number of aging devices. An announcement on the YouTube support pages notes that select devices manufactured before or during 2012 will lose support for the video app, with the list including smart TVs and Blu-ray players, older Google TV devices, earlier models of the Apple TV, and some iOS devices.

The ending of support for older devices stems from changes being made to the YouTube Data API. At the same time as bringing in "more features" to the API, Google is taking the opportunity to cut support for older devices, starting from this week.

For iOS devices, those running iOS 7 or later can still download and use the YouTube app, with those on older devices forced to use the mobile site instead. Third-generation Apple TVs will also be able to continue using the app, but second-generation and older versions will not, with no workaround available.

Google TV devices running version 3 or later of the software will be able to continue using it by running a software update, though version 2 and older will not be able to access it. Smart TVs and other devices can potentially work around the issue by using the built-in browser, so long as it supports Flash or HTML 5.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM. )

macnscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2015, 05:09 PM

So they are cutting off devices that are barely more than 2 years old. VERY customer friendly Google! NOT

alpich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2015, 05:36 PM

I have an Apple TV 2. The work around for YouTube is simply what I already do. I use my phone and I AirPlay it to the Apple TV. I won't even miss the App. Sure this won't work for Apple TV 1 but I beliveve that has been hacked to death and you could use OpenELEC to instal XBMC and do your YouTube through its web browser. MacNN needs to take a chill pill instead of fear mungering.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 21, 2015, 08:17 PM

Oh please. If Apple did this, everyone would say "Makes sense. You really should upgrade your device. Apple can't support those old devices forever, you know."

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2015, 10:01 PM

I have AppleTV gen 2. Don't care if YouTube is missing since half of stuffs from YouTube are not viewable anyway due to some non-sense legal issue on "this" device.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2015, 01:32 AM

It should be noted that Google is only cutting YouTube *app* support from devices like older Apple TVs and Google TVs, and that Google is also cutting support for YouTube apps on older Android devices -- everything still running 2.2 (Froyo) or earlier, in fact.

And yes, if you think Apple is sometimes quick to stop supporting hardware that is barely five years old, Google is far more mercenary about this -- I can't think of any Google hardware older than three years that is still supported.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

nowwhatareyoulookingat
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2015, 02:04 AM

This is entirely about ads. The older software doesn't have as much support for tracking ads, or displaying video interstitial ads.

This is basically "please buy new hardware so we can show you more ads".

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2015, 11:55 AM

nowwhat: yes, you've hit the nail on the head. That is Google's entire raison d'etre.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2015, 02:14 PM

Just release updated YouTube apps for the affected devices. Install and go on.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 23, 2015, 12:42 PM

Might as well cut Youtube support on retina displays... the lag going in/out of full screen is completely outrageous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules