Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple updates Watch support page, admits tattoos may be a problem

Apple updates Watch support page, admits tattoos may be a problem
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 1, 2015, 10:00 AM

In a response to complaints about tattoos affecting the heart rate sensor, Apple has updated a support document to admit that it may be a problem. In a new update to the document, Apple now says that "Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings."

The Apple Watch detects heart rate by flashing green LED lights hundreds of times per second. Measuring the reflection back to the sensor, the Watch picks up the amount of blood in the skin which varies depending on the part of the heartbeat "cycle." Based on that information, on the heart rate can be determined. For those with uniformly-colored skin of any race, the Watch automatically increases the LED sensor brightness and sampling rate, but the difference in contrast across the small skin section on those with tattoos is posing a problem for the technology. High-contrast colors in tattoos appears to be unable to be overcome at this time.

Apple's workaround for inconsistent reading is to "connect your Apple Watch wirelessly to external heart rate monitors such as Bluetooth chest straps." However, exercise measurement will still take place using an appropriate sensor, such as the accelerometer for running, or the GPS for cycling.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM. )

prl99
Senior User
May 1, 2015, 10:13 AM

This doesn't surprise me about tattoos. I imagine heavy skin lotions (sunscreen?) might have the same impact on the sensors. Normal skin pigment isn't opaque, it can just be light or dark or anywhere in between. If someone has burns, scars, or other changes to the wrist area where the watch is worn, I can see the possibility of obstructions that hamper the successful reading of blood flow so I don't believe Apple is singling out people with tattoos.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2015, 10:22 AM

Too bad...so sad...for the millennials who view ugliness as beauty

Grendelmon
Senior User
May 1, 2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Strat View Post
Too bad...so sad...for the millennials who view ugliness as beauty
What a ridiculous and narrow minded thing to say. Makes sense coming from you, though.

climacs
Senior User
May 1, 2015, 10:55 AM

I do not understand how a tattoo could be a problem, but dark skin isn't?

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 1, 2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by climacs View Post
I do not understand how a tattoo could be a problem, but dark skin isn't?
I've been wondering the same. My fiancé has very dark skin... could that be an issue?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 1, 2015, 11:08 AM

It's not an issue of reflection from dark pigment, regardless of source, its an issue of uneven reflection over the monitored surface, and expected response to the flashing LEDs.

Dark skin isn't a problem, as the reflection is even, and not altered by the varying reflection that tattoo pigment induces.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 1, 2015, 11:26 AM

Also, skin tends not to be composed of dense ink made with metals. Not all tats are a problem, just dark solid-color one with strong subcutaneous density, which is a hallmark of metal-based inks.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 1, 2015, 11:28 AM

For the record, I'm not anti-tattoo, though I've chosen not to have any myself. I've never quite understood the appeal of "sleeves" however, and of course a wrist tattoo is going to give wrist-worn optical sensors problems. That's just logic. It's not Apple's fault, its not your bad life choice, its just a natural consequence of changing your skin composition in a particular place, and thus not something you can use. Oh well.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
May 1, 2015, 05:10 PM

Apple will have to eat this one... some people with tattoos may want to return their watches having just realized the tattoo issue, and that means Apple would have to stock the returned watches as used wearables...just like their earbuds.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
May 1, 2015, 05:28 PM

Maybe this will be a lesson for future tattoos, leave space for a watch....

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 1, 2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Apple will have to eat this one... some people with tattoos may want to return their watches having just realized the tattoo issue, and that means Apple would have to stock the returned watches as used wearables...just like their earbuds.
I bet the return rate isn't that high. If for no other reason right now, then the watches can be flipped on Ebay.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 1, 2015, 06:07 PM

If you're the sort who's chosen to add tattoos to areas of your body where they would be visible in business clothes, then you've already made a choice to put some limitations on what kind of job you will be able to get, who will hire you, and the sort of work you'll be doing. So finding out that a certain kind of tattoo, in a certain place, interferes with optically-based sensors is probably not a major concern, and I would think only a very, very tiny number of people with the issue would be concerned or disappointed.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Apple stocks used EarPods? I highly, highly doubt that. Do you have a source for that information?

Ham Sandwich
May 2, 2015, 07:39 PM

The emphasis in italic is that the earbuds would be a used wearable. What Apple does with returned used wearables is beyond me...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2015, 08:26 PM

There are hygienic considerations that make stocking returned EarPods illegal in many countries.

Forum Links
Forum Rules