Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > The MacNN Podcast, episode 14: I can't talk now, I'm on my Watch

The MacNN Podcast, episode 14: I can't talk now, I'm on my Watch
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 11, 2015, 03:55 PM

It's time for episode 14 of The MacNN Podcast, which this week includes a new guest: Bradley, our music provider for the show, who is also a keen reviewer of Bluetooth Speakers and, now, the Origin PC gaming computer. We also do our usual thing of going over the big tech stories of the week, cracking some terrible jokes, talk about some new features on the site, make gratuitous pop-culture references, and even squeeze in an overview of Apple Watch third-party apps.

Join your host, MacNN Editor Charles Martin, along with Managing Editor Mike Wuerthele, staff writer Michelle Elbert, with guest appearances by reporter Bradley McBurney and reviewer William Gallagher as we reveal how listeners can win a custom Apple Watch, the latest issues giving some users fits in Yosemite, welcome Apple Pay to Home Depot, and pass on some podcast pointers (clearly, a lesson in what not to do).

Here's the show notes for this week:

01:06 Having a little trouble with network connections issues since Yosemite came out? You're not alone. While not every user experiences the issue, a number of users have seen issues seemingly stemming from discoveryd, Apple's replacement for mDNSResponder text. Hopefully it's just teething issues, but we hope it gets fixed soon.

09:43 On top of launching deals.macnn.com, our new dedicated deals site, we also continue with the Daily Deals. Now how much would you pay? But wait, there's more! To celebrate, we are giving away an Apple Watch, customized by the winner to a value of up to $750!

15:39 We take a few minutes to do an audio overview of the recent five-part Wednesday-only Pointers column, which has been featuring a primer on how get your own podcast up and running. It's one of those "it's a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun" type endeavors.

21:58 Earlier this week, some sites erroneously reported that Home Depot -- a chain that had been unofficially accepting mobile payments for some time, and has partnered with PayPal, was going to drop Apple Pay as an option. As it turns out, the company is in fact officially embracing Apple Pay..

26:32 Remember the amazing unboxing video we did for that gaming PC the fine folks at Origin sent us? Bradley has now had a chance to give it a good rundown, and he's impressed. We talk about how the sum of its parts make Origin one of the leading custom PC builders on the web.

36:50 We discuss Microsoft's latest new feature for Windows 10, an ability called Continuum that essentially allows mobile devices to change the presentation of the apps when the phone or tablet is hooked a to a big-screen TV or large monitor. As smartphones get more powerful, is this a glimpse at the future? Has Microsoft out-thunk Apple on the future of mobile devices?

48:38 Our semi-regular feature where reviewers talk about the Apps they liked the most. This time, Michelle shares a very targeted iOS app, while William Gallagher makes a good point abut Apple Watch apps.

The MacNN Podcast can be found every Sunday night or Monday here at MacNN, on its RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes.

The MacNN Podcast is copyright 2015 by MNM Media, with all rights reserved. Opinions expressed by the hosts or guests of the podcast may not reflect the opinions or views of MNM Media, its sites, or advertisers. Original music by Bradley McBurney. Comments and feedback are welcome at our Tips email address.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 12, 2015 at 08:09 AM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 11, 2015, 07:10 PM

Hey there, I loved the brief, "I can't talk now, I'm on my watch" part of the show but enjoyed all the other discussion as well. While I do think phones are going to become powerful enough (if they aren't already) to do many of the tasks a desktop or laptop user does, the UI and interaction are different. So, plugging a phone into a big screen and adding mouse and keyboard kind of work, IF the app were smart enough to switch up the UI and interaction aspects enough. Apple has this built in by having separate eco-systems... that will be Microsoft's challenge (I think they are taking a more 'one size fits all' approach so far).

Also, podcasting tip: We don't really need to know it's "Episode 14"... it would be much better if it were something like "014 - some summary, title, or brief list of topics."
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 11, 2015, 07:12 PM

Oh, and there always will be a big performance gap... the question is at what point the phone-sized one will be 'enough' for 90% of what most people do.
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 12, 2015, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the comments, Steve. We'll consider making some changes to the opening to be more informative. Good suggestion!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 12, 2015, 03:56 PM

Thanks Charles.... just for clarity, I wasn't referring to the audio of the podcast itself (i.e.: you should tell people right up front which episode it is, IMO), but I was referring to the episode title itself in the feed (i.e.: what I see in my episode list when subscribed via iTunes, etc. Just having a big list of 'Episode 1' 'Episode 2' etc. isn't much use to me, nor is it good for search reasons, SEO, etc.)
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules