Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Review: FileMaker Pro 14 (OS X, iOS, Windows)

Review: FileMaker Pro 14 (OS X, iOS, Windows)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 13, 2015, 12:22 PM

Here's the thing. FileMaker Pro is a quietly spectacular app: it's for creating databases but for three decades now it has also created careers. There are people whose entire working lives have been devoted to creating databases in FileMaker Pro and they do it for lone freelancers, corner shop businesses and even corporations. Now a new FileMaker Pro 14 has been released for the app's 30th anniversary and, with one caveat, it is hugely recommended. Check our full review to see what we liked, and what we didn't.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2015, 02:04 PM

Filemaker Pro's been the most irritating app I've owned since I became a Mac user in 1990. It's grown the app far beyond anything I need and yet demands that I buy pricey upgrades for features I don't need. At the very least, the company could create a basic flat-file database that's left unchanged and modestly priced.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

djbeta
May 13, 2015, 02:16 PM

@inkling if you need a flat file database, use Excel. If you want an awesome database platform that allows you to build VERY powerful applications for your business, quickly, FileMaker can't be beat. It's expensive, but in my opinion, worth every penny.

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2015, 04:38 PM

Excel is a spreadsheet, not a database in a normal sense. I too am looking for a modern flat-file database.

Paulrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2015, 12:39 AM

I would HIGHLY recommend you look at Panorama by Provue. Also not cheap to start, but very powerful and blazingly fast. It's one of the first 3rd party programs for the Mac.

hayesk
May 15, 2015, 02:19 PM

@Inkling, FileMaker did create a flat file database called Bento. Not enough people bought it, so I doubt they're going to try it again.

If you want a flat file database, try iDatabase: http://www.apimac.com/mac/idatabase/

Forum Links
Forum Rules