Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Oculus outlines Rift PC requirements, stops OS X, Linux development

Oculus outlines Rift PC requirements, stops OS X, Linux development
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 15, 2015, 03:46 PM

The consumer version of the Oculus Rift will require a high-powered PC when it is finally released. Oculus VR has advised of PC specifications recommended for the "full Rift experience," and though it includes some fairly standard components for a gaming PC, including 8GB of RAM and an Intel Core i5-4590 processor, it will also need a graphics card that is at least the equivalent of an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 or an AMD 290.

The Rift will also require a compatible HDMI 1.3 video output, two USB 3.0 ports, and Windows 7 SP1 or newer for the operating system. A blog post from chief architect Atman Binstock advises that this recommended specification will be "held for the lifetime of the Rift, and should drop in price over time."

The Rift's rendering requirements are targeting approximately 400 million shaded pixels per second, higher than what typical gaming systems currently deal with. The head-mounted display will run at 2160x1200 over two screens, running at 90Hz, which the company claims requires three times the GPU power of standard 1080p rendering. The minimizing of "motion-to-photon latency" is also a driver for the more powerful GPU requirement.

One notable item missing from the recommendations list is the option of choosing another operating system other than Windows. "Our development for OS X and Linux has been paused in order to focus on delivering a high quality consumer-level VR experience at launch across hardware, software, and content on Windows," writes Binstock. "We want to get back to development for OS X and Linux, but we don't have a timeline."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 15, 2015 at 03:49 PM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 15, 2015, 05:35 PM

They may as well stop all development... this as Google Glass written all over it.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2015, 05:54 PM

You haven't tried an Oculus Rift, have you?

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2015, 06:42 PM

I'm a "stereoscopic gaming early adopter" (been doing it for around 6 years now, so not *that* early compared to some), and it's definitely the way of the future. The hardware has to get cheap enough before it becomes accepted by a majority of users; but WOW is it amazing.

hayesk
May 16, 2015, 11:23 AM

I don't believe most people will want to strap something to their face to play a game. It makes great demos, but I don't think these will become as ubiquitous as traditional game consoles.

I don't doubt it makes for fantastic demos but I am skeptical of its long term appeal.

broohaha22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2015, 11:25 PM

On the subject of Google Glass, apparently it's not dead. They're hiring more engineers to expand their development team.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 17, 2015, 08:50 AM

So just out of curiosity. How do these devices work for the 50+ crowd that can't focus on anything close. I have to hold my iPhone at least 18 inches away from my face to see anything. I wondered the same about Google Glass.

Or do they just figure there's no market for us older folks so don't even bother?

pairof9s
Senior User
May 17, 2015, 02:27 PM

Ha...I hear you, Atheist, right there with you!

My feeling is if something has to tell you it's the next big thing, then it usually isn't...those things seem to happen on their own inertia. Segway, VR, PC Tablets, WebTV, Google Glass, 3-D printing, perhaps even Apple Watch...it just never seems to match the hype of universal adoption set forth. Often for the reason Atheist points out...it limits itself to being universal. Rift PC may be great, but launching to such a limited market is not a good way to be the "Next Big Thing".

Forum Links
Forum Rules