Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple rolls out Force Touch 15-inch MacBook Pro, new Retina iMac

Apple rolls out Force Touch 15-inch MacBook Pro, new Retina iMac
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 19, 2015, 08:52 AM

Apple today updated the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display with the new Force Touch trackpad, faster flash storage, longer battery life and faster discrete graphics, delivering even more performance and capabilities to the MacBook Pro line. Apple also today introduced a new $1,999 configuration of the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, quad-core processors and AMD graphics, and lowered the price of the top-end iMac with Retina 5K display to $2,299.

As expected, the updated 15-inch MacBook Pro includes the recently-introduced Force Touch trackpad. The new MacBook Pro with Retina display model features the same 2x PCIe SSD technology as found in the 13-inch MacBook Pro, and offers an additional hour of battery life, with up to nine hours of wireless web browsing and up to nine hours of iTunes movie playback. In addition, the revision includes discrete AMD Radeon R9 M370X graphics.

The new $1,999 iMac with Retina 5K display features a 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost Speeds up to 3.7GHz and AMD Radeon R9 M290 graphics. The new iMac also includes 8GB of memory and 1TB of storage, as well as four USB 3.0 ports and two Thunderbolt 2 ports. The top-end iMac with Retina 5K display now starts at $2,299, and features a 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9GHz, AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics and a 1TB Fusion Drive.

The updated 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is available today through the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers with a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.4GHz, 16GB of memory, 256GB of flash storage and Intel Iris Pro graphics starting at $1,999; and with a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.7GHz, 16GB of memory, 512GB of flash storage and AMD Radeon R9 M370X graphics starting at $2,499. Configure-to-order options include faster quad-core Intel Core i7 processors up to 2.8GHz, with Turbo Boost speeds up to 4.0GHz and flash storage up to 1TB.

The new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display is also available today, with a 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost Speeds up to 3.7GHz, AMD Radeon R9 M290 graphics and 1TB of storage starting at $1,999. The top-end iMac now starts at $2,299, and features a 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9GHz, AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics and a 1TB Fusion Drive.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 31, 2015 at 03:25 AM. )

vintagegeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2015, 10:24 AM

Nice Specs but Apple to REALLY ripping people off for Jump tp 512GB Flash from 256GB. They want $300 more. Jeez, you can buy a new 512GB for less than that. At most it should be $150 more.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2015, 10:39 AM

Hopefully, Apple is working on a desktop keyboard that's like those on its newer laptops, including that Force-Touch pad. Quite a few people like to have their desktop have a keyboard like their laptop.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2015, 01:24 PM

Does the new MBP have the "Butterfly" keyboard?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2015, 03:18 PM

Yesterday I used the new MacBook keyboard for the first time and to say the least I was underwhelemed...

I was able to quickly move from the MacBook to a MacBook Air and then a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro. (I own a 13" MBP...) I would characterize the MacBook's keyboard to be no better than typing on an iPad's screen keyboard. I cannot imagine doing serious typing on a MacBook; I'd want to shoot myself in the head after 30 minutes.

The MBA is a little better... I never thought I'd see the day when I found the MBA keyboard to be acceptable but it is after using the pitiful MacBook. The MBP keyboard is OK but I still yearn for the keyboard sported by my 2008 15" MBP.

So don't include me among the "quite a few" people who want their desktop keyboard to be like their laptop... I use a high-end Leopold mechanical keyboard connected to my Mac Mini. It's a serious keyboard designed for people who actually know how to touch-type. We appreciate the responsiveness that only a mechanical keyboard can provide.

Apple's keyboards have been going downhill for some time now... If the so-called "butterfly" keyboard is where things are heading I see nothing to celebrate. it's just another example of Apple's obsession with form over function... I can see a day when an Apple Event will include rail-thin fashion models parading the latest anorexic Macs to the delight of the Apple Faithful.

Grendelmon
Senior User
May 20, 2015, 10:04 AM

So this is the third iteration of the Pro that is still using Haswell and Iris 5xxx. Not good, Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules