Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Hands On: iOS 9 Preview for iPad Air 2

Hands On: iOS 9 Preview for iPad Air 2
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 29, 2015, 06:43 AM

Although there have been some clues that Apple has been planning to introduce split-screen multitasking on the iPad, it was still something of a surprise to see the feature finally debut at WWDC. The feature will make its debut in iOS 9, which is due to officially land sometime in the fall, likely around the time we see the next generation of iPhones and iPads. Similar functionality can be found in Windows tablets and some Android tablets, so what is it like on the iPad Air 2?

Apple under CEO Tim Cook seems a lot more willing to give user's and the market what it wants; larger screened iPhones is just one example of this. The arrival of split-screen multitasking on the iPad is another example. Apple has long valued simplicity in its approach, particularly with the iPhone and the iPad, which is an approach that has won it tens of millions of customers.

However, those same customers are now very familiar with the technology and are ready for Apple to take it further than it has before -- iOS 7 and then iOS 8 added significant levels of sophistication to the iOS interface that make the latest iPhones more complex, but more functional, than ever before. This is perhaps best acknowledged by Apple in its Tips app, which is aims to point out to users the array of features now offered by the iPhone and iPad.

Although iOS 9 on the iPhone brings with it some great new features like the new News app, its focus is on stability and performance enhancements with a lot of the heavy lifting already undertaken in iOS 7 and iOS 8. Split-screen multitasking in iOS 9 on the iPad, is a more dramatic feature enhancement than is apparent in any new feature so far announced for the iPhone. It is potentially a game changing feature for the iPad and its competition. If there was one singular point of differentiation that is offered by Microsoft on the Surface (and other Windows 8 tablets), or some Android tablets like those from Samsung, is their ability to offer split-screen multitasking.

Both the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and the Surface 3 have larger displays where it is perhaps better suited than on the 9.7-inch iPad. Samsung's Galaxy tablets also offers similar functionality on its smaller tablets, but it is best implemented on its 12-inch Galaxy Tab Pro. The introduction of the Split View on the 9.7-inch iPad seems to reinforce rumors that Apple is working on a larger tablet where this level of functionality will truly shine. Advertising the feature now might also help to lock in current iPad users while helping to stave off those users looking for the greater productivity might otherwise be offered by potentially switching to the Surface.

Split View, as the functionality has been labeled by Apple, works really well on the 9.7-inch iPad Air 2 in casual contexts, perhaps more so than in productivity contexts. For example, being able to browse the web in Safari while watching a movie or TV show at the same time is a pretty liberating experience for those who like to do more than one thing at a time. It is definitely a strength of the Microsoft Surface, even if it is lacking in some other departments.

Perhaps the technology sharing agreement signed by Apple and Microsoft in 2012 helps explain why Apple's implementation is so similar to Microsoft's, as you can control the amount of screen split just as you can in Windows 8.1.

Another neat multitasking feature addition in iOS 9 is Slide Over. For everyone that has been using an app on the iPad to hear Mailbox chime, which then leads you to jump out of that app, into your Mail app and then back again, Slide Over is your dream come true. Now you can just swipe in from the right hand side and choose the Mail app, without leaving your current app completely to see what's new. Similarly, you can quickly jot down a note in the revamped Notes app, if some inspiration comes to mind -- all without having to dive in and out of apps.

Similarly, say you are watching something in the Video app, but you want to do another task simultaneously, tapping on the Home button instantly scales down the video while allowing you to launch another app in full screen view. This is great for when you don't really need to be giving your video maximum attention, or are even just happy listening to its contents, while you do something else with greater attention, like replying to an email. With the Picture in Picture mode active, you can still do two things at once, but your attention is less evenly divided as it would be in Split View.

Although the new multitasking features in iOS 9 add another level of complexity to the iPad interface, most of Apple's customer base is ready for it. Of the new features, only Split View is limited to the iPad 2 -- iPad models going back to the iPad mini can support the additional multitasking features, highlighting the fact that Apple could have introduced this functionality earlier if it was a priority. However, coupled with the rumored larger iPad, we can really see Apple reinforcing its foothold in enterprise tablet market share with the iPad and iOS 9. It is just the tonic the iPad needs after seeing its stellar sales stall slightly over the past couple of quarters.

-- Sanjiv Sathiah
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 29, 2015 at 06:48 AM. )

nat
Jun 29, 2015, 12:36 PM

Until Apple allows for precision input (trackpad/mouse) my iPad will remain on my coffee table for light gaming. Which means I'll never need another one. It's ridiculous that they allow external keyboards but only fingers for editing/copying/etc.

wireboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2015, 01:22 PM

I have to disagree with that, at least for me. I cannot even imagine using an external keyboard, let alone some sort of pointing device. I use my iPad professionally for both visual design work (PhotoShop, Pixelmator, OmniGraffle, etc.) and the music creation/production that I do in my spare time (DM1, iElectribe,Bias FX, Logic Remote, etc.) and have never felt hampered by a lack of precision input except in cases where an app is poorly designed and does not allow you to change your context by zooming in and out to the level appropriate for the task at hand.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2015, 03:08 PM

nat: there is never ever going to be a mouse for the iPad, so I guess you probably sell yours off before it becomes obsolete, or just use it till it dies. Seems like a lot of money to have spent on a light gaming machine to me.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

djbeta
Jun 29, 2015, 08:03 PM

i agree with nat on this one... absolutely no reason for there NOT to be a pointing device. Pure thickheadedness leftover from Stevie Jobs.

Sanjiv Sathiah
Jun 29, 2015, 09:20 PM

I think you will find that Apple has attempted to address the issue you are talking about in iOS 9 through ingeniously turning the iPad display/soft keyboard into a soft trackpad. It's not a feature currently advertised on its it iOS 9 Preview site, but was quickly addressed and demonstrated at WWDC. In practice, I can report that it works really well, and eliminates any requirement for a mouse.

Apple Insider takes a closer look at this functionality here: First look: iOS 9's new cursor-controlling gesture keyboard on iPad
Electronista Staff

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2015, 10:25 PM

Will the split screen be available on the original iPad Air?
45/47

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 29, 2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Will the split screen be available on the original iPad Air?
Nope. Just the Air 2. I think it needs the three-core processor.

thebiggfrogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2015, 01:37 PM

No reason for there NOT to be a pointing device. Holds up ten "pointing devices" attached to my hand. What's the point? If you want a trackpad or mouse get a laptop. As for me my iPad does anything I need a laptop for on the road--hence no laptop? And, nope, ain't just a content consumption device. Different strokes, I guess, but never got the complaint that it was only for consumption and not "real" work. Constantly use it for spreadsheets, word processing, tweaking presentations, delivering presentations and videos, et cetera. And doing it all with an iPad 2 with a Logitech ultrathin keyboard. Can't wait to upgrade to an iPad Air 3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules