Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple Music, iOS 8.4 update are on the air; servers hammered [u]

Apple Music, iOS 8.4 update are on the air; servers hammered [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 30, 2015, 10:59 AM

[Updated with correction, lightening of server load in US] As expected, Apple has launched iOS 8.4, with an accompanying OS X 10.10.4 update. Alongside the software release, Apple has also fired up the Apple Music service and Beats One. Apple Music provides access to some 30 million tracks in the iTunes catalog, both for streaming and offline listenings. Music curation includes recommendations for songs and albums from experts, with playlists for various activities and song genres.

While the streaming service costs $10 per month for a single user, all users will be able to access Beats One, a 24/7 radio station headed up by former BBC1 DJ Zane Lowe. Rather than relying on data to drive what songs get played, the playlist will be made up of music selected by the disk jockeys themselves -- how much of it is pre-recorded and how much of it is live is as of yet unknown. Music videos will also be available to view, with tens of thousands now viewable, ad-free. OS X, iOS, and Windows PCs will be able to use the service from launch, with Android users gaining access this fall.

At present, the Apple servers are very slow for the 8.4 update -- it is unknown when this will lighten. Before downloading the patch, users should make sure they have enough space for the 174MB file, as well as some additional space for the installation itself. MacNN will update this post as access speeds improve. An evaluation of the offering in its first day is underway.

Update: The original version of this story included the news of a new version of iTunes -- this was incorrect. The actual update was for OS X to 10.10.4.

Update 2: The server load appears to be lightening somewhat in the US. Sporadic reports from other countries are still indicating some load problems, particularly across Canada.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 30, 2015 at 03:37 PM. )

a1a23696
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2015, 11:25 AM

Servers are speedy for me... Download for iOS 8.4 took less than a minute.. 3 devices upgraded and working well.

wireboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2015, 11:38 AM

Same here. Fastest I can remember.

aroxnicadi
Jun 30, 2015, 11:46 AM

What other fixes are they throwing in. Not interested is the music app, just more wasted space.

lockhartt
Jun 30, 2015, 12:09 PM

Well, the replacement/removal of discoveryd to alleviate the networking weirdness it created is worth the price of admission in and of itself.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2015, 12:26 PM

Yeah, DiscoveryD is gone in the iOS. When I get a more comprehensive list other than "Some stability changes" I'll let you know.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2015, 12:40 PM

Plenty fast here. The 10.10.4 download was 1.2 GB. It was downloaded, restarted, and halfway through the install in the time it took me to take a leak.

prl99
Senior User
Jun 30, 2015, 12:47 PM

I tried connecting through iTunes at 8am pacific time and it couldn't connect, so I did what most sane users would do and waited for the initial group to get through updating and didn't have any issues by 9:30. My 10.10.4 update just finished as well. So far everything went smoothly.

pairof9s
Senior User
Jun 30, 2015, 02:08 PM

Add me to the "That was fast!" list...took my iPhone 3 minutes and my iPad 1 minute to d/l the updates. Everything is working fairly well, although I've yet to put Apple Music thru the paces.

PJL500
Jun 30, 2015, 02:41 PM

@pottymouth 1-800-URO-LOGY

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2015, 04:17 PM

Ok, so on iOS 8.4, there's Music.app to use Apple Music. Any word on how it's gonna work on Mac OS X? One would assume the new iTunes version (supposedly 12.2) was included in OS X 10.10.4, but alas, that's not the case.

And so we wait.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2015, 09:42 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules