Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple updates OS X to 10.10.4; includes networking, Mail, Photos fixes

Apple updates OS X to 10.10.4; includes networking, Mail, Photos fixes
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 30, 2015, 11:16 AM

Updated with Trimforce inclusion in new version. In an update flurry this morning, Apple has also debuted OS X 10.10.4. In addition to Apple's general fixes included in every update, the revision includes the excision of DiscoveryD and replacement with its former technology, mDNSResponder, for improved networking reliability, a fix to an external monitor issue, and a rectification of a JavaScript exploit in Safari.

Other fixes noted by Apple include improved Migration Assistant reliability, iPhoto and Aperture library migration improvements, iCloud photo sync fixes, a Photos crash fix when importing Leica DNG files, and a Mail fix resolving an issue with a delayed email send.

At this time, detailed patch notes for the 1.09GB patch are not yet available. Should the Apple information document include any more significant changes, we will note them in an update to this post.

Update: The "trimforce" terminal command has been implemented in OS X 10.10.4. This allows for TRIM maintenance to be performed on other than Apple-provided SSDs, given that the user implementing the routine approve a lengthy caveat by Apple, warning of the potential for data loss, and the necessity of a backup. Despite Apple's concern, the vast majority of modern consumer SSDs are TRIM-supported.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 30, 2015 at 01:48 PM. )

daehl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 PM

Any futher details on the "fix to an external monitor issue"?

I sure hope this finally fixes the long standing problem with Yosemite and external displays connected to older MacBook Pros, where the Windowserver process increasingly hogs the CPU over time.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2015, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with that bug, but we don't know for sure yet. Working on it!

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jun 30, 2015, 01:04 PM

That's a pretty impressive list of security fixes there.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2015, 03:31 PM

...mail is now almost completely dysfunctional for me (repeat force quits) suggest proceeding with caution...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2015, 04:06 PM

bobolicious, no issues amongst the staff here, but a quick perusal of the Apple forums suggests a corrupted Mail database may be the culprit.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2015, 04:08 PM

TRIM support for 3rd party... that's pretty huge for the Hackintosh community, among others. It's coming a bit late, but better late than never.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeronimo2000 View Post
TRIM support for 3rd party... that's pretty huge for the Hackintosh community, among others. It's coming a bit late, but better late than never.
Yeah, I'm running it on a third party SSD on this RMBP. I'll let you know if any issues manifest, but I'm not expecting anything.

daehl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2015, 11:27 PM

I've been running 10.10.4 for about 28 hours now, and so far, no signs of the "Windowserver" process getting out of control on my 2009 MacBook Pro with an 1920x1080 external display. It seems stable at around 10-15% CPU, whereas under all prior versions of Yosemite, it would usually creep up to about 50% CPU by now. Here's hoping the leak is finally fixed! only time will tell cause Apple's release note doesn't shed any light on what they specifically fixed with this release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules