Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple takes lid off 64-bit A8 iPod touch, now up to 128GB

Apple takes lid off 64-bit A8 iPod touch, now up to 128GB
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 15, 2015, 11:26 AM

As expected, Apple has taken the wraps off a new iPod touch. Predictions for the device were generally correct, with the new version getting a new 8MP rear camera, 64-bit A8 processor, and M8 motion coprocessor. The new iPod touch is available in five colors: space gray, silver, gold, pink and a darker blue than the previous offering.

In addition to the three normal 16, 32, and 64GB versions, a 128GB version has been added. All four versions ship with iOS 8.4. All colors and capacities are available at Apple.com and at Apple retail today. Prices are $199 for the 16GB version, $239 for 32GB, $299 for 64GB, and 128GB for $399. A (product) RED version is available as well.

The iPod nano and shuffle lines were refreshed with the new colors, but no notable specification changes.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jul 15, 2015, 04:23 PM

Cool... like the iPhone 6 that should have been. I want one, but am hoping a better phone is coming... otherwise, it's 6th gen iPod and a cheepie phone for me.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jul 15, 2015, 05:49 PM

I just bought a 5th gen... Curious to see what the benchmarks are for 5th gen vs. 6th gen

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jul 16, 2015, 03:44 AM

@Grendelmon - Another article that did some initial benchmarking said about 6x performance.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Ham Sandwich
Jul 16, 2015, 07:09 PM

Think about this... you can go to Staples and get a 128 GB flash drive for maybe $49.

Meanwhile, the iPod Shuffle, in 2015, is still stuck at 2 GBs, so you basically can't listen to more than a few hour-long podcasts without running out of room. And the cost: also $49.

I really liked the lighter blue and the lime green. Why is Apple not selling the old colors?

=

Also if Apple is going to release an iPhone with haptic feedback, and this iPod touch doesn't have it, then maybe it would be better to get a refurb model if you need an iPod or wait for an iPod with haptic feedback.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jul 20, 2015 at 11:10 AM. )

JeffHarris
Jul 21, 2015, 04:03 PM

WHEN will Apple offer a 256GB iPod touch to replace the sadly abandoned 160GB iPod Classic?

What would it take, Apple?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Think about this... you can go to Staples and get a 128 GB flash drive for maybe $49.

Meanwhile, the iPod Shuffle, in 2015, is still stuck at 2 GBs, so you basically can't listen to more than a few hour-long podcasts without running out of room. And the cost: also $49.
You've struck upon the obvious, but fail to make the conclusion:

You're not actually paying those $49 for storage when you're buying an iPod.

Congratulations.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 21, 2015, 06:12 PM

We don't know what Apple's margin is on the Shuffle. If you assume up to 40% (which is way too high, I think), then the iPod still costs $30 to make, market, and sell.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 21, 2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You've struck upon the obvious, but fail to make the conclusion:

You're not actually paying those $49 for storage when you're buying an iPod.

Congratulations.
My point is: They could have updated the capacity to something more than 2 GB (like, go up to 8 GB). I bet that wouldn't really hurt their profit margin, but really 2 GB is small for iPod capacity in 2015.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 21, 2015, 07:39 PM

2GB for iPod capacity with non-just shuffling access is too small. For what the shuffle does, its positioned very well.

And.reg, do you have one? What do you use it for? Maybe I'm not seeing a use case.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 22, 2015, 12:54 PM

I have a 1GB and a 2GB. I used to have 30 minute to 120 minute long podcast-type tracks along with general collections of similarly-themed tunes sewn together as a single file. These I can store and play in the background or on road trips. Each of these at high quality can be as much as 100 MB, so that limits me to a few dozen before they become repetitive. I have to keep reminding myself to remove older casts to make room for new ones.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 22, 2015, 01:25 PM

Yeah, that's a good use case for a larger Shuffle.

I think, however, you may be in the minority on Shuffle use, though. I just don't see Apple making a bigger shuffle, ever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules