Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Study: Apple Watch having material impact on health of users

Study: Apple Watch having material impact on health of users
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 28, 2015, 03:42 PM

The Apple Watch's innovative combination of gentle reminding, motivation, goal setting, and its key visualization of activity and progress is actually working to help users lead healthier lives, a new study from Wristly concludes. Users in a study of Apple Watch early buyers report that 86 percent of them are still wearing the device on a daily basis, with another 12.3 percent wearing it "most days." Only three respondents in the survey of 1,000 users -- 0.3 percent -- said they no longer wear the device.

The survey found a 97 percent satisfaction rate overall, and that most of those surveyed are using at least some of the activity and fitness functionality of the device, suggesting this has been a major selling point and word-of-mouth generator. More than 75 percent of the participants said that they are standing more because of the Watch's gentle "tap" reminders to do so, while two-thirds said they are walking more.

More than half -- 59 and 57 percent, respectively -- said they make better overall health choices, or exercise more than they did previously as a result of the Watch. A total of 89 percent of users were happy with the built-in Activity app, 75 percent said they were satisfied with the Workout app, and 80 percent said that they were satisfied with the heart rate sensor. Users who have wrist tattoos using dark inks in particular have reported that the heart rate sensor is sometimes inaccurate or fails to work with that obstacle.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2015, 04:17 PM

I've never been much for heavy exercise but I don't mind the gentle reminders from the Apple Watch to get up and move my butt once in a while!

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jul 29, 2015, 01:31 AM

I guess it's good that people are more aware to take breaks and maybe get a bit more exercise, but unfortunately, until people understand hormones, proper diet, etc. it's kind of like having a bucket, bailing water from the Titanic. In the big picture, the stuff it's tracking is rather irrelevant... and the stuff that would count could just as easily be done with computer or phone (like tracking water intake, learning about diet, or even setting reminders to get up and move. I suppose the Watch makes that last one slightly easier).

I'm sure these people surveyed *feel* it's having a positive impact, and maybe in some cases, it is. But, much of the whole fitness-app stuff is based on outdated science.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

jmonty12
Jul 29, 2015, 02:26 AM

You pay $349, minimum, before taxes -- well you'd better plan on wearing it every day.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmonty12 View Post
You pay $349, minimum, before taxes -- well you'd better plan on wearing it every day.
People pay a hundred times that on watches and have several they switch between.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jul 29, 2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jmonty12 View Post
LOL... exactly what I was thinking, too.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2015, 09:23 AM

I paid ten times that for my car and I don't even drive it every day. Am I doing it wrong?

Forum Links
Forum Rules