Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Tile Bluetooth Object Tracker

Hands On: Tile Bluetooth Object Tracker
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 19, 2015, 07:53 AM

If you're like us, there's probably a time or two (or 10) that you've misplaced an item. Maybe it's been in your house. Maybe it's been at work or in a restaurant. Maybe you've left something on a bus or a plane. What if there was something that had your back? Something small, something that stuck with whatever it is you keep losing, and kept an eye on it for you? Well, released today there is -- and it's called Tile.

Tile is a small, unassuming plastic square that you can attach to your keys, your bike, your purse, your laptop, your car -- basically, if you lose track of it, you can Tile it. Once you've placed Tile on an object, Tile is ever-watchful, keeping you alert of where your object is at any given moment: but how does it do this? Well, Tile has a few tricks up its sleeve. Tile pairs with an app on your phone (both iOS and Android devices are supported), which allows you to see your object on a friendly map interface. The Tile app is sleek and easy to navigate, so almost anyone can pick it up and begin using it immediately.

Because Tile is Bluetooth Smart (BT 4.0), if you're within about 100 feet of Tile, it'll give you helpful hints on where you can check, as well as how far away it is. You'll also be able to have Tile play a cheerful little tune to say "Hey, I'm right here!" which is especially helpful for those times when you lose your car keys in your house. We really liked the tune -- it's loud, it's cheerful, and it could easily be mistaken for a phone ringing, so it's a lot less jarring to people around you if you are trying to find your things in a public place.

But what if you're not in that magical 100-foot range? No sweat -- Tile shows you on a map the last place it saw your stuff. Instead of driving all over the city to find out where you left your wallet, the Tile app will give you a close approximation to where you lost it. We tested this out, and thought it was pretty awesome, and perfect for people who tend to leave items over at friends' houses or at the office.

"But what if my stuff gets stolen or I lost it in a busy area?" you ask. While it might not be completely reliable, Tile has a plan for that. Go into your app and mark the item as "lost." Then, if someone else is running the Tile app and passes within 100 feet of your missing object, you'll get an alert on your phone, letting you know the exact location.

"But what if I'm always losing my phone!" Well, chances are you already know about iOS's Find My Phone feature, but maybe you don't have that option, or maybe you don't like it, or maybe you own a phone that doesn't have some sort of device tracking. Whatever your reason, it's worth knowing that Tile actually keeps track of your phone (or tablet) from the minute it's installed. Simply log into the app from a friend's phone on your Tile account, and it'll track where your phone was last seen, as well as allow you to send a push notification asking anyone who finds it for help.

It's worth noting that you can't replace the battery in Tile -- it's sealed up tight inside. After a year, the manufacturers suggest that you replace Tile completely. You can send your Tile to them, and they'll send you a brand new one of the latest model for a discounted price. It sounds a little pricey, and it is, but it's less pricey than cancelling all your credit cards, getting all your keys remade, or ordering a new Social Security card (which you shouldn't travel with, anyway!)

What's our verdict? It's not a perfect system, but it's a cheap and cheerful solution to a problem that plagues a lot of us. We like the fact that Tile is small, portable, and easy to take along, and if it catches on, could be a great crowdsourced lost-and-found. The physical Tile can be purchased from the Tile website for $25 for a single unit, and there are discounts on larger quantities. Tile's app is available for free from the App Store.

Who could benefit from Tile:
If you're absentminded, or if you want a little extra security when you're traveling.

Who might not need Tile:
If you're not the type to misplace things frequently, the expense might outweigh the benefits a bit too much.

-- Amber Neely (@SurferAmber)
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2015, 11:58 AM

Any plans on doing a TrackR vs Tile review?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

bphagan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2015, 05:36 PM

When I saw the picture of the device I thought about it being used as a pet tracker for lost animals.
Instead of issuing annual tag licenses, issue one of these devices.
Then any lost animal can be easily identified with a free smartphone app without having to approach too closely.

bdog

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2015, 05:58 PM

I think it would attract more sale if battery is replaceable. Don't understand why not?

macnscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2015, 06:13 PM

Way too expensive, especially considering the battery life and not being user replaceable. And, while I like some of the features of the TrackR, their uncontrollable urge to SPAM (some days I get 4-5 email SPAMs for their product) is a serious non-starter for me.

OkieDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2015, 08:43 PM

First of all: how long did it take to finally get this thing off the ground?
I've been seeing invitations to pre-order the Tile for at least 2 years.
It seemed really cool when first demo'd, with their (apparently Sandwich Video) slick ad.

The coolest thing was the idea that someone else's phone with the Tile app installed could notify Tile that your "lost Tile" was found, but I wonder how many people would actually buy this and install the app.

Expensive/premium product " for what you get"? Sealed-in battery? Sounds familiar. I really think that APPLE should release something like this--and make it a core functionality of iPhones AND laptops that you can "opt in" with when you set up your mac/ipad/iphone/ipod. Then you'd have a MUCH higher chance of getting a "hit" on a lost Tile.

Only caveat would be that it would be much easier to track someone. Think of the police attaching a Tile to someone's things and being able to track them without a built-in GPS

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2015, 08:32 AM

iPhone's sealed-in-battery is more forgiving because it's rechargeable. Tile is like those free keychain LED flashlight with sealed-in-battery that can be tossed after the juice is out. So they shouldn't charge us $25. It should be free or a few bucks (enough to cover manufacting cost) and raise the app price to $25 with one-year free subscription. After that, it's $10 per year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules