Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Twitter 3.1.0 (OS X)

Hands On: Twitter 3.1.0 (OS X)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 21, 2015, 11:30 AM

Update Sorry, we got our version numbers mixed up while researching countless different Twitter apps. The official one is Twitter 3.1.0, and the following article has been updated to reflect that.

There is only one Twitter, there's only one official Twitter application for Mac, and it's just got an update to Twitter 3.1.0. We've rather ignored it for ages, so in the face of this latest update, we took a look -- and the only new update is that this release adds the ability for you to send Direct Messages of greater than 140 characters. That's it.

We're not fussed about that: we've been sending DMs in 140 characters or, to be more honest, series of 140 character bursts, for years -- and not given it a thought. Maybe we're also a little bit less fussed about Twitter, that could be a factor. Yet we first installed Twitter for OS X at some point, we can't remember when, and we've not opened it since because we've been using Twitterrific and other apps on iOS.

Twitter just seems to suit being read on the go, but we will undoubtedly be having it open on our desktops in the run-up to the next Presidential election. Twitter can be great as a feed of news headlines throughout the day. Like Fox, but with actual news.

The Twitter app, with or without this gigantic new update, is good for that, and it's fine for all Twitter use. It does get mocked for its way of being updated so often with so little, and it does also get derided for lagging behind other apps. That's all true: Twitterrific and Tweetbot both include recent additions to Twitter -- the service rather than the app -- such as a new way of quoting tweets, which the official app has yet to include.

Yes, we would have to say that just about any Twitter app is better than the official one. Tweetbot is $5 on iOS and as of this week $13 for OS X (down from $15). Twitterrific is cheaper, at $5 for Mac, and it is free for iOS, but none of these prices are exorbitant if you're going to be using Twitter a lot. If you're just a dabbler, though, the official app is fine. It lacks features, but we know what those features are, and yet we're struggling to remember them.

We can't flat-out recommend Twitter as the best Twitter app for OS X, but it does what it does and it looks so much like the iOS version that if you know that, you know this. Actually, we'd prefer it if it looked a bit less like the iOS one: that thin strip of Twitterdom looks a bit daft on our 27-inch iMac screens. We'd also love it if Twitter could figure out how to know that, having read a message on our iPhones, we don't want to be reminded of it on our iPads and Macs. That seems to be an issue across every app we try, and it's more tiresome than not being able to quote a tweet in the latest way.

Twitter 3.1.0 requires OS X 10.7 or later, and is free in the Mac App Store.

Who is Twitter 3.1.0 for:
General Twitter users. But if you have multiple Twitter accounts, and spend every other breath on the service, look at the alternatives.

Who is Twitter 3.1.0 not for:
Actually, the official app does handle multiple accounts. You'd just be better off with one of the other options.

-- William Gallagher (@WGallagher)

Readers: do you have an app that you'd like to see us review? Developers: do you want us to take a look at your app? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 22, 2015 at 05:18 PM. )

thoughtsimple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2015, 02:34 PM

That version is 3.1.2. Where did you get 6.34.2?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 21, 2015, 02:48 PM

That's an excellent question. I'll ask the reviewer.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 21, 2015, 03:36 PM

It looks like William used the iOS version number of the app for the version number here. As soon as I summon him back from the infernal pits that writers live in, we'll double check, and get this fixed.

William Gallagher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2015, 03:40 PM

Hi, Mike's right: sorry, I was comparing not just the different official Twitter apps but many permutations of OS X and iOS clients. And I got it wrong. I've corrected the piece now: thanks very much for telling us so that I could put it right.

William

gnawbone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2015, 06:00 AM

"Like Fox, but with actual news."

You know if I wanted political comments I'd go to a political website. What? You think John Stewart was actual news?

There are other Mac sites, I think I'll go to one of those - we'd both probably be happier. Then you could spew your biased comments and I wouldn't read them - perfect.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 23, 2015, 07:57 AM

Here, does this make you feel better?

"Like John Stewart, but actual news."

Lighten up. Wasn't a political comment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules