Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version

Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 18, 2015, 09:40 PM

Intuit has released the latest version of venerable home and small business accounting package Quicken. The updated Quicken 2016 includes new features for Mac and Windows users that are designed to further help users to track balances, conduct transactions, and manage their money.

In addition to managing multiple financial accounts in one location, customers can now see, track and pay all bills in one place. After users link bills, Quicken automatically tracks due dates and amounts due, eliminating the need to log into multiple accounts.

Quicken users can easily pay tracked bills using Quicken Bill Pay, newly integrated for OS X users. This lets users pay their bills, transfer money between accounts, see what bills have been paid, and which are coming or are past due so they can manage cash flow.

Taking customer complaints to heart, Quicken claims to have expanded customer support in the United States and improved the reliability and accuracy of bank downloads and transactions. Intuit has noted that it has grown the Quicken product development team to build out the next generation of features.

Packages with Quicken for Mac start at $75. Starter editions for Windows begin at $39.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM. )

Useless Message Poster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2015, 10:55 PM

Last sentence has a typo - "has notes" - should be "notes" or "has noted".

Can't wait to hear a review of the software - this is the only reason I run Parallels on my Mac. Would love to be Windows software free!

nowwhatareyoulookingat
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2015, 11:03 PM

#1 customer complaint: Mac version is crippled compared to Windows version. Still doing jack-all about this.

They actually have the balls to make people pay to upgrade to a version of their software that "improve the accuracy of bank .... transactions". Now I guess it's just more likely to be right, so every single person using this software really has to MANUALLY double-check every single transaction, because Quicken can't do something so basic right.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2015, 08:23 AM

Who cares? I once used Quicken and got shafted when Intuit didn't transition it to OS X. Year after year, I heard the company promise but not deliver a full-features OS X version. I'll never buy a product from them again.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2015, 08:55 AM

Too late. I am done with Quicken. iBank is my thing. Quicken for Mac is never be at par with Windows since day one. I have no hope for any of their upgrade.

pairof9s
Senior User
Nov 19, 2015, 09:19 AM

The mobile offering is where Quicken/Intuit is really dropping the ball. A robust solution for both iPhone/Android as well as tablets like iPad is needed in this day. There are so many alternatives now that provide such personal finance management.

I can live with the inequality of Mac vs Windows (which really is minute at this version), but the lack of a true full-featured mobile offering just keeps me away from Quicken.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2015, 11:36 AM

For what I use it for, I'll stick with 2015. Nice to see just one price regardless of if you're buying new or upgrading - thanks a lot.

daqman
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2015, 05:50 PM

OK, I'm feeling like an idiot here. I patiently waited for Quicken 2016 and a couple of days ago Quicken 2015 offered to upgrade for full price minus a small discount. I use Quicken daily so I took the bait. For me Quicken 2016 is almost identical to Q2015 with a few cosmetic changes. None of my banks support Direct Connect and you can't use the new bill-pay and other features without that. So I paid almost full price to get next to nothing new.

To add insult to injury I got an email today telling me that, as an owner of Quicken 2007 I am entitled to upgrade to Quicken 2016 with a 40% discount. So upgrading from eight year old software gets you a bigger discount that upgrading from last year's version!! The new 40% discount does me no good since I already paid a couple of days ago.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

pairof9s
Senior User
Nov 19, 2015, 07:07 PM

daqman...if you got Quicken 2016 from Intuit, they offer a 30-day money back (or at least they did w/ 2015). So see if you can return it to get your money, or least get the 40% discount.

I know what you mean on the Direct Connect...our main bank, Bank of America, doesn't use DC so no bill pay here.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2015, 12:44 AM

"Quicken 2016 is almost identical to Q2015 with a few cosmetic changes"

Indeed. Welcome to the developer merry go round... Annual 'updates' have been Apple policy post Jobs, yet I try really hard to find anything I couldn't live without from Snow - well I might not miss rebuilding the desktop (El Cap

The more of us that support meaningful feature driven developers (MoneyWorks?) the better?

Forum Links
Forum Rules