Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Pointers: Join a Mac/iOS User Group!

Pointers: Join a Mac/iOS User Group!
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 20, 2015, 09:18 PM

Today's Pointers suggestion is one I've been meaning to make for a long time, and the time is finally right: it's fall and turning quickly into winter, exactly the time when many of us tend to stay inside more often and go out less. So naturally, my suggestion is to get out of the house and join your a local Apple-oriented group. I can say that I have benefitted enormously from my long involvement in several such groups, and I am sure you will as well.

User Groups of the sort we had back in the 1990s have fallen out of fashion, of course, since the rise of the Internet: the former primary function of the groups was to answer very basic questions, provide operating system update (on floppy!), and generally keep people informed about the strange new world of computers generally and Macs or Apple specifically. All that and more has largely been replaced with Internet sources, and for some things that more than does the job -- but there is something of a missing social element that even a Facebook Mac Fans page can't really replace.

Lasting friendships

As any sci-fan fan knows, occasional interaction with people who share a common passion with you about something (particularly if it is something the general public isn't that big on, like funny cars, cult movies, obscure bands, or unusual hobbies) can result in strong bonds that turn into lasting friendships. I'm presently involved as a volunteer presenter and officer in the Mac User Group for my adopted hometown of Victoria, BC -- it's one of the largest such groups in Canada, with over 200 members who meet up regularly, and also one of the oldest -- it got started in 1984 and has met regularly ever since. I haven't been there that long, of course, but I am pleased to be part of the tradition.

These days, user groups of the traditional sort -- dedicated to general Mac and Apple knowledge -- are mostly populated with people old enough to remember the days before the modern Internet arrived, or even before personal computers were a thing. Despite being very wise on a huge number of topics as befits something with an inquisitive mind and a wealth of life experience, not growing up with computers means that some people of those generations struggle more with both the technology itself and the fact that it is ever-changing on us more than someone who has always had it as part of their lives would.

There's nothing wrong with that, and I take great pleasure in finding ways to make new technologies such as the iPad more relevant to the lives of those who, six months ago, could not envision any use for such a thing in their lives. While I'm generally the one imparting what I know to them, I learn a huge amount from them about -- well, practically everything else in the world, both present and past, and I also marvel at their keen levels of interest in still learning something new and useful. I've seen lives absolutely changed, or just more pleasurably enhanced, thanks to Apple devices.

Mac and iOS users really do come from all walks of life, and an in-person meetup group is a great way to meet some of them. I certainly get more out of the club than I put into it, and I put a lot into it. In additional to the traditional Apple/Mac clubs (which themselves have had to evolve to embrace iOS devices and now other things Apple is into, like wearables and services), I've also been involved in less-formal clubs and groups that had more specific focuses, for example an Adobe (pro applications) user group, or a Meetup group of Mac-based business users, and a Friday "lunch bunch" that use their common Apple bond to branch off to other discussions that have no direct relation to the company.

Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby

When you're having an issue with a computer, sometimes talking about it on a forum isn't that helpful because you lack the means to clearly communicate what you're seeing as the issue. Worse still, of course, is that the anonymous kind souls on the web who want to help can't see what you've done or are doing, or what's going on.

Groups like the Mac User Groups (which can generally still be found in most US, UK, and Canadian cities) generally attract a wide variety of people with differing skill areas and knowledge levels, and this makes for a useful "database" you can demonstrate to or check with to get an eyes-on assessment of whether an issue is Apple's fault, your fault, or your cat's fault. You'd be surprised how often cats turn out to be culprits behind common issues, you really would.

User Groups and meetups are often the home of Apple Consultants, people who are certified by Apple to be like the Geniuses in the Apple Store, but can come over to your house or meet you in a cafe so you can show them the issue or tackle learning a specific thing you need to know to accomplish what you want to do. Some of you reading this tend to be ones dispensing advice to others, not seeking it as much, but we all have times when we need to know something that's out of our core area. User Groups and the people you meet there can be more than just colleagues or friends -- they can be a networking circle, a continuing education resource, a customer base for your business, and much more.

Fame, wealth, prizes, praise!

In addition to simply attending meetings, there are also often opportunities to connect with people on other levels, from dating to professional engagements. If you're one of the knowledgeable ones in your local group, offer to sit on the committee or board that leads the group, or if you have a flair for teaching, volunteer to do demonstrations at Special Interest Group (SIG) meetings (subsets of the more general main meeting where a smaller group focuses on one area -- I lead groups for "novice" users, business/professional users, and formerly helped lead a photography group (boy did I learn a lot in that one -- mainly how little I actually knew about traditional and digital photography).

Our group has experts in lots of fields -- one guy loves to let us know about the latest cool tech gear, while another has recently put together a book of his artwork, thanks to the level of technology needed getting simpler for people to use. The two middle-aged ladies who are hard-core on World of Warcraft. The old-school photographer slowly giving in to the digital world. The gadget buffs and the road warriors. The insatiably curious. It's a great bunch and I'm proud to know them all, and sometimes pass on a useful tip or two.

Like this one: join a Mac or Apple-related user group, meetup, or discussion group. Or, if there isn't one, start one. They're fun, they have prizes (and sometimes cake!) and you'll get an experience you can't -- at least not yet -- really replicate on the Internet. So give it a night off once in a while, and argue with people about trivial topics in person for once. You might just love it.

-- Charles Martin

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2015, 10:08 PM

I used to lead the Utah Macintosh user Group. Like your article said, we found ourselves less and less relevant over the years. Why wait a month to hear about the latest software when you can read reviews on the internet immediately. Attendance went from the 60-70 range in the 90's to 4-5 near the end. It was the stalwarts then - those that didn't really care what was being demo'ed - they just wanted the social interaction with like-minded people. When we lost our meeting place at the U of U due to construction, we never really recovered. Now it has been replaced with Facebook and in-person meetups at local Apple Stores. I guess like all things, even user groups had to change with the times.

But oh, was it ever great "back in the day" with events during MacWorld; Terry showing off Adobe's latest at the User Group Breakfasts, and Chris Breen entertaining us with his musical abilities while Woz walked around and shook hands. Sigh. Good times . . .

climacs
Senior User
Nov 21, 2015, 01:10 PM

In Phoenix the Mac Users Group http://www.amug.org is run by a bunch of old-timers who get some sort of power trip over running something, anything. A few years back I joined, was appalled by the lack of relevance to real-world users (and complete absence of any professional users or students aspiring to be media professionals) of the Mac platform. When I tried to make some suggestions, well it was greeted with the same reception a priest might give you if you dared to suggest the communion wafer is just a cracker. Look at that website, that should say it all. The basic design has not changed in 15 years, I bet.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2015, 03:36 AM

climacs: if the Phoenix User Group sucks, find some like-minded others and form a new group.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

macjockey
Nov 22, 2015, 10:55 AM

In Huntsville Alabama we have our local MUG http://www.hmug.org/ who meets twice monthly and has a really good following. Each session is filled with great information and is an opportunity to learn new things and meet new people. They meetings last about two hours and cover topics from both the Mac OS and iOS. The best part is the group members are your normal everyday people and are not just a bunch of computer nerds. They welcome visitors so you locals please stop in.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2015, 03:07 PM

macjockey: pleased to hear it! My travels are expected to take me to Huntsville in June of next year I believe; I'll see if I'm there long enough for a visit with the group!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

avfolk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2015, 03:19 PM

In Austin Texas our local MUG is CapMac – www.capmac.org
We meet once a month, with guest speakers or members sharing latest news on Mac and iOS.
Membership is an amazing community of students, teachers, geeks, professional people, computer professionals, and switchers who attend to learn, explore, and share. Our meetings are free and open to anyone.
----------------------------
 michael sidoric / austin, tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules