Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 can't sense the case door is closed

G4 can't sense the case door is closed
jfdonahue
Dec 30, 2000, 09:53 PM

When I try to put my G4 Gigabyte AGP to sleep, I get an error message saying "your computer cannot be put to sleep until the case it closed." I closed the case several times, yet still got the same error message. I searched this board and found a couple messages indicating that there is a magnet on the Airport card support cage. Could someone please explain exactly where this is. I have looked all over the metal frame that the Airport Card slides through, but cannot find any magnet. I guess I might be missing the magnet?

Thanks  

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2000, 12:56 PM

hmmm, ive never heard about a sensor detecting that the case is closed or not, i run my g4 with the case open a lot of times, and put it to sleep with the case open.

cygnusx1
Jan 2, 2001, 05:05 PM

this is interesting. the PCI graphics and Gbit Enet G4's do not have the magnet, but the AGP does. it is stuck to a flange from on the full-length PCI card/airport card support bracket (that thing with the antenna wrapped around it). if you look right by where the "2" is embossed, you should see a magnet hanging there vertically when the case is opened. stick a paper clip on it to see if it's a magnet. the PCI G4 has no brace for the magnet and the Gbit Enet G4 has the brace but no magnet. the AGP G4 will give you an error when you try to put it to sleep with the case open while running OS 9.0 (haven't tried 8.6 or 9.0.4 yet).

make sure that you have the computer you think you have. if you truly have a gigabit ethernet G4, you should see a 1" square shiny aluminum waffle heatsink about 2 inches from the ethernet connector. you should also have a blue power button light on the front (not green like all the others) and you can only run 9.0.4 on it (9.0 and earlier won't run).

this is an interesting one to say the least!

Forum Links
Forum Rules