Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 466, 320MB of ram, is ram worth it?

iBook 466, 320MB of ram, is ram worth it?
slider
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2002, 07:20 PM

I suppose first I should ask if I can put a 512MB chip in, I do have an Airport card. I am running OSX on it now with 320MB and I am planing on installing Jaguar on it as soon as I get it. But every machine comes to the point were you should just stop. I think the iBook is getting to that point and I am only installing Jaguar because they claim it will boost speed. Is 320MB enough, or should I install more. The first commandment is "thou can never have too much ram", but this iBook is only used for M$ word, excel, iTunes, internet, and very rarely VPC. Will I get a performance boost with more ram?

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2002, 11:10 PM

320 MB is probably enough for almost everyone. Unless you are doing serious video work or editing extremely large graphics, most applications won't be able to use more than that. It isn't going to make your machine faster for everyday use (like going from 64MB to 320MB did).

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2002, 01:27 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking, thanks.

KingOfSomewrHot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2003, 05:03 PM

So ... I'd still like to hear an answer to the question.

Will a 512MB ram chip be accepted by the iBook SE (466) ???

I have been pondering this same upgrade, but the apple specs claimed 320 MB max. But 512 chips were not widely available when the machine was sold. So maybe they will work ?

Has anyone tried it ?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2003, 06:37 PM

yes, the chip should work, provided you get a cl3 (3-3-3) module.

and with jag and ram, if you can stand the 800x600 in OS X, it's probably worth it. jaguar definitely is.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 08:09 PM

I went ahead and did the upgrade, I would definitely recommend this upgrade along with Jaguar. I got the chip for around $90. Huge improvement. Do it now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2004, 05:54 AM

Could you tell us where you purchased the memory from, slider?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 07:10 AM

Zombie thread.

/sorry, not helpful.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2004, 08:52 PM

I apologize - I didn't realize that the last post to this thread was from January of last year. I thought this thread was from a month ago!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules