Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > LCD Backlight Shutting Off!

LCD Backlight Shutting Off!
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2002, 12:17 AM

I have a curious problem, guys. My year-old 500 MHz iBook's monitor backlight often shuts completely off (just the backlight, mind you...not the whole screen) when I adjust the screen angle towards me. The screen isn't off and the computer doesn't think I want it to go to sleep, but the monitor apparently does (or something) because the backlight goes off until I completely close the lid, wait for the machine to go to sleep, then open the lid again. After I do that, all is well and the light comes back on (except that my dial-up connection has dumped). Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this? I know that a loose connection is the easy answer, but the fact that closing the lid all the way (AKA sleeping the machine) fixes the problem makes me unsure about that. I appreciate ALL input. Thanks!
Apple user since 1987

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 16, 2002, 12:29 AM

I had this exact same problem, and sent it off to be fixed... two weeks ago, and it still hasn't come back... so be forewarned. If your machine is still under warranty, I'd send it off before it expires. But there appears to be a backordered part shortage or something... Week three starts tomorrow.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 08:47 AM

I just started having this problem, too, within the last week or so on my iBook/500/DVD. I have the extended warrenty on my machine for two more years and I'm putting off repair until their backlog gets resolved. It's something I can live with for a little while as I let my AirPort base station do the dialup so I can quickly sleep the machine and rewake it if it does this.

Voch

mkuehn
May 16, 2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>I have a curious problem, guys. My year-old 500 MHz iBook's monitor backlight often shuts completely off (just the backlight, mind you...not the whole screen...</STRONG>
I had a similar problem. It sucked and was annoying. I ended up shipping it off to Apple for repairs. I think it was the "power inverter" which they replaced. It fixed the problem 100%, and took almost two weeks, but this was last November, right before Thanksgiving.

If you're still under warranty, I'd give Apple a call and get it fixed. If not, I'm not sure what a part like that will end up costing you...

HTH,
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

ibook_steve
May 16, 2002, 04:46 PM

It is most likely the inverter cable. Closing the book stresses it then relieves the strain when you open it back up again. The inverter is probably not bad because if it was, you'd have no backlight at all. You can try checking the connector on the motherboard easily by removing the metal cover over the memory (under the keyboard) and looking at the connector in the upper right corner of the hole just above the keyboard connector. See if the cable is not pushed in all the way, and, if not, push it in. If this still doesn't fix it, time for a warranty repair.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules