Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trackpad Button Problems

Trackpad Button Problems
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2001, 01:11 AM

I remember some talk a while back about problems with the new iBook's trackpad button being higher on one side than the other. Well, mine's been like that for a while and I didn't think anything of it, but recently, I started hearing a different sound when using the button. Now it has a kinda "wet" sound to the click. And if I just lightly press on the left side of the button (not like I'm trying to click it; just a light press), I hear this "wet" sound. Basically, the button seems weirdly-constructed and I can't figure it out. Anybody else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix it? Help!
Apple user since 1987

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2001, 01:27 AM

Funny you should ask this. I just called apple today for this very problem. My trackpad button is higher on the left than on the right. When I push the left side of the button lightly, it will depress a bit without registering a click, and I have to push harder for it to register. It's really annoying. I also noticed that if I click on the left side while pressing to the left, it will seem to catch on something and make a loud, and somewhat disturbing sound. Anyway, the Apple guy said they would send out a box and likely replace the trackpad.

If you take out the battery, you can actually see the right side of the "clicker" in the empty battery compartment. I tried putting a thin piece of cardboard in the compartment to prop up the right side, but that just made it so I couldn't click at all on the right side. If it bothers you (and it bothered me quite a bit) you should probably call Apple.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2001, 01:29 AM

I also found a couple of entries on apple's discussion boards from people with this problem, and of course there was someone here with it as well, so this isn't an isolated thing.

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2001, 03:40 AM

Actually, I thought at first it was a feature.

If you click on the right side of the button, it's quiet and you don't press hard.

While on the left is for the person who likes feeling the click.

Got me why I thought this.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2001, 01:47 PM

anyone with a malfunctioning trackpad button should call apple support and tell them about the problem. they'll replace the entire top piece of the housing under warranty.

-r.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 02:11 PM

unfaded, do not tell anyone your theory! Word may get out and then this will become Apple's official rationali...err, explanation.
you are not your signature

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2001, 05:53 PM

Also, upon further inspection via the battery compartment (thanks for pointing that out, Icruise!), it appears that the reason the right side of the button sags lower is because the battery well is below it instead of some other heavy hardware. I examined (as best I could) how the button works and it has a long metal hinge that allows it to click. I think that things will be OK, so I may just sit tight for a while.

But I'm not sure I can just send it in because I changed the color of my Apple logo, so will tech support have a problem with that (something about voiding the warranty)? How will that factor in? Thanks.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: STAT ]
Apple user since 1987

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2001, 08:40 PM

I changed the color of my logo as well, but I undid it before sending it in. I don't think they will be able to tell that anything has been "tampered with". I will try and let you know what happens, though.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2001, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
<STRONG>I changed the color of my logo as well, but I undid it before sending it in. I don't think they will be able to tell that anything has been "tampered with". I will try and let you know what happens, though.</STRONG>
Ewwwww! Sounds like I'm in luck! However, I might have a little more trouble since I cut away the white plastic that's in front of the logo light. It just kept the light too muted. I guess I could find a substitute and slip it in there. As long as they didn't take the lid apart, they wouldn't notice.

Also, as some of you may remember, I had some trouble with one of the [soft] screws Apple uses in the lid. The head got stripped and I ended up replacing all four of the screws. If I sent it in, I guess I'd have to put three of the four original screws back in and leave one out (if they ask, I'll just say that it came missing a screw...after all, I called Apple and told them that was the case, but they still wouldn't send me an extra screw). Any more thoughts, guys?
Apple user since 1987

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2001, 09:48 PM

Well...I sent in my ibook for the trackpad button repair around August 1st, and Apple still has it. However, according to the website the repair is finished and it is in "burnin" so I imagine I will have it in a couple of days. A 3 week wait for this kind of thing really isn't acceptable, though. I called halfway through and they said that they were waiting for a part, so that was apparently what caused the dely. I was quoted 5 - 7 days on the phone before I sent it in, so I wouldn't trust what they say.

I imagine that having opened up the ibook won't be a problem (I'll post again when I actually receive the machine). However, I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have my Pismo to pinch-hit. I don't know if I would recommend you sending it in or not. It depends on whether you can do without it for a few weeks. Personally, it's not that big of a deal, since I am now on vacation and I have an extra computer, but if my only computer was gone for that long I would have been livid.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2001, 03:08 PM

Well, I have the ibook back now (it arrived before the repair status page even said it had been shipped). They replaced the "upper assembly" which is the palm rest and trackpad area. The button is better, although it is still slightly uneven. I think this may just be a part of the design. There were also a number of scuff/scratches on the case, although it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure it would have happened sooner or later in normal use. Still, it's a little annoying. Overall, not a great experience, but at least having opened the book up didn't seem to make any difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules