Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powermac 6500/225

Powermac 6500/225
bluejeans2
Nov 1, 2000, 07:43 PM

Help! I tried to load OS9 on my computer.....everything was going great until I attempted (I can't imagine why now!) to remove Disk First Aid, as I intended to load a new version of Norton instead. Lo and behold I have the following message:.....the computer starts to boot up....the smiling guy following by the big OS9 stuff and the the hard drive tries to boot up and I see a large yellow exclamation point and: "Your computer did not shut down properly. Disk First Aid is checking your hard drive and will repair any problems. See Mac Help......."
below this: Error, Disk First Aid cannot repair....." which of course I know because I threw it in the trash. Then emptied it like an idiot. This message is just there for a few moments and the cursor clock spins around about twice and freezes.

I have the most recent book "Mac for Dummies" and I have tried all the key combinations they recommend...although I didn't find this exact problem listed anywhere. I have tried everything....trying to boot up to the CD.....floppy disc (original program that was on it)....I get the same message and

The Wolfe
Nov 1, 2000, 11:58 PM

Moving to the Older Systems & Clones topic.....

Cipher13
Nov 2, 2000, 03:32 AM

Still here

Cipher13

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2000, 08:11 PM

Then I'll move it.

Cipher13
Nov 3, 2000, 08:39 PM

Um...
Try resetting the pram (Apple-Option-P-R at startup, and wait for the 3rd chime then let go).
See if that allows you to boot off the CD, from where you can copy DFA back to the HD...
If that doesn't work, does anyone know the location of the CUDA reset thing on a 6500?
Oh well... there should be a little battery on the motherboard of the 6500...
Take it out for 5 mins or so, then put back in, and try again...

Cipher13

bluejeans2
Nov 4, 2000, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Um...
Try resetting the pram (Apple-Option-P-R at startup, and wait for the 3rd chime then let go).
See if that allows you to boot off the CD, from where you can copy DFA back to the HD...
If that doesn't work, does anyone know the location of the CUDA reset thing on a 6500?
Oh well... there should be a little battery on the motherboard of the 6500...
Take it out for 5 mins or so, then put back in, and try again...

Cipher13
Dear Cipher13....thank you so much for your response.....I have tried what you recommend....it doesn't get to the third chime.....I will try that battery idea......will it be easy to access? I have had plenty of experience working on guitar amps.....I've never opened a Mac though....

John Strung
Senior User
Nov 4, 2000, 09:18 AM

Reboot from the OS 9 CD by holding down the c key while booting. Once it has booted, run Disk First Aid from the system cd (it should be in the utilities folder). Copy Disk First Aid back onto your computer's hard drive and reboot.

By the way, don't try to run Norton on an OS 9 computer unless you have the latest version as an out of date version of Norton can do a lot of damage.

If you have to upgrade your disk utility, I would recommend TechTool Pro rather than Norton.

Another alternative to the above (but not as good) is to start with extensions off by holding down the shift key. Once you have booted, go to the General Control Panel and shut off the Shut Down Warning check box. Make sure you run Norton, though, if it is an up to date version.

I would put DFA back on the hard drive, though and leave the shutdown warning box checked. It is not a good idea to run without DFA on your computer.

Cipher13
Nov 4, 2000, 10:21 PM

He said he can't boot from the CD.
Yeah, it should be fairly easy to access... you can't miss it.
I can't say exactly where it is, cause I don't have a 6500, but on every Mac I've opened, its easy to get to.
Doesn't reach teh third chime? What happens?

Cipher13

The Wolfe
Nov 5, 2000, 03:24 AM

Just follow the instructions in your Performa user manual for upgrading the memory - unscrew the two screws on either side of the I/O ports on the back of the machine. Slide out the logic board. It's a little red button (actually, pretty small) near the backside of the board (back near the ports). Press and hold it for about 10 secs.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

bluejeans2
Nov 5, 2000, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by bluejeans2:
Dear Cipher13....thank you so much for your response.....I have tried what you recommend....it doesn't get to the third chime.....I will try that battery idea......will it be easy to access? I have had plenty of experience working on guitar amps.....I've never opened a Mac though....
Cipher13......thank you so much.....I have succeeded with removing the battery and waiting....I have the computer back up and running. The only problem I have now (which I remember seeing before as well) is something that can't be repaired by Disk First Aid....which is why I had thought to install Norton.....the message is as follows: There is a problem which this program cannot fix....invalid sibling link 4,732.

Is this something I can handle.....should I try to see if installing the newest Norton program can repair this or am I at the mercy of the local apple center (which when I called was not only unhelpful....but insisted that I needed to bring this 6500/225 in....minimum charge $45 which I don't have at the moment!)....either way.....again thanks for your help and I will certainly "Pay it Forward".... Stephen Anderson

Cipher13
Nov 6, 2000, 03:35 AM

Hey, no prob, thats what I'm here for
Personally, I haven't come across that error... rather than Norton, you might wanna see if you can get a hold of a copy of FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit or TechTool Pro 3... see what they can do.
If not... search the Apple Tech Info Library for "invalid sibling link". http://til.apple.com
Um... if none of that works, unfortunately you may have to take it to the repair center...
Or, if its nothing too major or dangerous, do nothing about it and continue on...
Or, better yet, back up everything, then format. That will fix the problem most likely.
Good luck... let us know how it goes

Cipher13

andi*pandi
Nov 6, 2000, 03:09 PM

aha!

someone else with the invalid sibling link.

I'll save you some time, bluejeans2.

1) once you get stuff back running, run norton for os9 or tech tool pro. that sometimes gets rid of the error.

2) If it doesn't get rid of it, or if it comes back, YOU HAVE TO WIPE THE HARD DRIVE AND START AGAIN.

3) if this doesn't work, buy a new hard drive.

My sister had this problem, bought norton, it worked for a while (long enough for her to back up vital data) but then she had to wipe the hard drive. All is good now.

BTW, just because you have norton, does not mean you have to trash disk first aid--sometimes it can fix the simple things, and it doesn't take up much disk space. Leave it be.

search the forums, this was discussed a few months ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules