Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Noisy PowerMac 5500

Noisy PowerMac 5500
twistedface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2000, 01:37 PM

I have a PowerMac 5500 with a Sonnet G3 L2 running at 400Mhz (the card was originally 300 Mhz but I over-clocked). Recently its started making a loud whining noise although the computer functions are not affected. Has anyone experienced anything like this? The noise seems to come and go and only lasts for short periods.
Any help will be appreciated.

thirtyfootsmurf
Dec 30, 2000, 06:34 PM

how did you overclock?? I thought you couldn't o/c Sonnets....

You should check the fan. Maybe the bearings are getting bad. If it's not the fan, it could be the hard disk. Do you have a cd in? My comp is really noisy when you have a cd in. Hope this helps

------------------
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z. 'X' is work. 'Y' is play, and 'Z' is keep your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

twistedface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2000, 07:13 PM

I over-clocked the Sonnet using a piece of software found at http://hometown.aol.com/tmk12v/home.html
I have no CD in the drive and the hard disk seems alright as it makes a different sound altogether. It might be the fan.
Thanks anyway.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2001, 05:05 AM

I'm personally convinced that it is your fan. You are going to need a whole new power supply. If you feel capable of replacing your power supply, go to http://www.dttservice.com/powermacs.html

They are really good and have always provided me with great service.

[This message has been edited by jeromep (edited 01-04-2001).]

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2001, 10:34 AM

Don't jump on the new power supply bandwagon just yet. That fan if probably very dusty. Take some compressed air, and maybe some of that dust cling cloth (although normal cloth will work, just not as well). Clean the blades of the fan, and blow out all of the dust you can (try to take out the power supply if possible so you can get the dust completely away fro mthe computer). Many noisy fans are fixed by simply cleaning them.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 05:03 AM

Don't get me wrong, I absolutly agree with giantmike, but if blowing out the powersupply according to his directives does not remove the noise I would suggest just paying for the power supply. In the long run, it isn't that expensive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules