Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6500 PCI Riser Splitter thing

6500 PCI Riser Splitter thing
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 07:27 PM

The PCI Riser that converts the one PCI card on a 6500's mother board into two PCI slots, does this card work in any mac, or will it only work in the 6500? I've sold most of the 6500 parts i have on ebay, and i'm wondering about this one.

iWolfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 01:00 PM

I'd have to say that it probably can work in just about any Mac - I can't quite remember photographically, but I believe the pin outs are the same on both the male and female ends of the riser (my little C500 UMAX has the same deal). There isn't any circuitry to be seen on the riser either - no little bridges or cache, which would say that it's just a passive pass through device.
The Wolfe
Apple Guru

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2001, 01:02 PM

well then, let me expand my question a little bit then...
you can just "split" up a single PCI slot into many PCI slots? how does this work? I would never have guesses such a feat was possible?

Tristrami
Senior User
Oct 29, 2001, 11:46 PM

Why not try it and report back?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2001, 12:23 AM

Because I have nothing to try it on

Cipher13
Nov 1, 2001, 08:27 AM

So wait... the 6500's two PCI slots are really one, even physically?

I always thought the ONLY difference between a 5500 and a 6500 mobo was the extra PCI slot; this means I can, essentially, give my 5500 a second PCI slot... hmmm.

Very interesting...

It'll work on a 5500, for sure.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2001, 09:21 AM

Well is the motherboard PCI slot on a 6500 just a reuglar PCI slot, or is it somehow special and specifically made to sake the splitter card thing only?

Paul S
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 01:41 PM

This adapter was not so much to give more slots, but to change the PCI card to be parallel to the logic board, so the board would actually fit the case design of the 54/5500 and 64/6500. If there is a difference on the 64/6500 board that allows the right angle adapter to have 2 slots instead of just one on the 54/5500, I don't know about it.

It's more likely the boards are the same, but the 54/5500 adapter only allows 1 slot because you couldn't fit the logic board back into the machine. The card would stick up higher than the opening in the back. Even if you did shove it back in there, there is no opening to reach the connection on the card once it's in there.

I know the right angle adapters are available from Apple Service Providers, but Cipher shouldn't waste his time on it. IOO8com, you probably shouldn't try it either. Even if it does work, the back side of the computer doesn't have openings to reach slots that are 90 degrees off from the originals. In many cases, something else on the logic board would be in the way as well. I don't think this will be the answer to the age old dream of a Mac with 6 PCI slots.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2001, 11:16 PM

the problem is you do not see the computer i envision in my minds eye.... a few of these might be just what i have been looking for! Although I was just asking because I was selling the piece on ebay but i may try to aquire a few more in teh future...

in case anyone wants to know
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1290670641

Forum Links
Forum Rules