Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Upgrading a 520c?

Upgrading a 520c?
Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2001, 05:25 PM

My daughter was given a Apple 520c with a blank HD, no system on it or anything. So a few questions, what upgrades are available for this? I want to install a new processor, a bigger HD & max the RAM. In these days of upgrades beyond Apple's specs, what is the maximum I can do to upgrade this? Also what is the highest OS I should install on it?
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

<capuchin>
Nov 30, 2001, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Kon-El:
<STRONG>My daughter was given a Apple 520c with a blank HD, no system on it or anything. So a few questions, what upgrades are available for this? I want to install a new processor, a bigger HD & max the RAM. In these days of upgrades beyond Apple's specs, what is the maximum I can do to upgrade this? Also what is the highest OS I should install on it? </STRONG>
Hmmm....

You might want to try looking on eBay - I think it was Newer Technology who made a 100mhz 603 upgrade for this model. No great shakes these days, but much faster than the stock 25mhz '040. Again, you're going to have a fun time finding RAM and hard drives - the RAM is proprietary and pretty hard to find these days, and the internal drive is a 2.5" SCSI - again, not easily located in these IDE times. OS wise, I'd stick with 7.5.3, which can be downloaded as disk images from Apple's support site (you have to look in the downloads section, and look for a link to "older software")

While you're in there installing RAM, CPU, and hard drive, check out the screws that hold the screen in place. They usually walk the fine line between being a hair too loose, and being ready to split the frame from being too tight.

Nice powerbook, though. I predict eBay will be a big part of your future.

dave

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 01:26 PM

For as much as you would spend on a processor upgrade, new HD and RAM, you could get a PB1400 or maybe a 3400.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2001, 04:39 PM

I have a 520c its a nice machine as it is. Install RAM doubler and Speed Doubler on it and leave it as such. It has built-in ethernet and all the ports you need for a connection to a keyboard/mouse etc. I've retrofitted mine into a picture frame with a wireless mouse and am going to be hanging it in our kitchen for a photodisplay and recipe lookup.

It will be able to handle light web searches (no keyboard).

It is decent for basic work and light work. If you wanna find the upgrade (the processor will probably be easier), then spend the money on a newer machine on ebay. They can be had for surprisingly little.

My suggestion would be to use MacOS7.6 since it has better internet abilities. But if you are really short on ram &lt;16MB then I'd stick with the 7.53. Since you probably already have a mac, you can mount your CD-ROM of 7.6, if you have one, and share it over the network (ethernet or appletalk serial cable) and install that way. No need for anything but a boot floppy with network access.

Enjoy!

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules