Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I use a Mac Se/30?

How do I use a Mac Se/30?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2000, 03:39 AM

Hi all,

How do I make a bootable floppy to boot in a Mac SE/30? To boot from a Cd I press "C". To boot from a disk, do I press "D"?

runningdog
Jun 8, 2000, 05:20 AM

Nope, there are no keys to push. Just put the bootable floppy in the machine and turn it on. If the Mac is already on and you restart, the floppy will be ejected so push it right back in if you want to boot from the floppy.

The Mac will always try to boot from a floppy first if there is a floppy disk in the drive, if it is bootable and if it includes a working System Folder.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 06:06 AM

Unless the Mac is specifically told to start up from a different disk. (Check the Startup Disk control panel to see if anything is selected.)

Idler
Jun 8, 2000, 06:08 AM

If you have not already got a bootable floppy disk, find a disk image called "Disk Tools" of the system version you want (eg. System 7.5) and use the Disk Copy program to create a bootable floppy disk.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 06:10 AM

Unless the Mac is specifically told to start up from a different disk. (Check the Startup Disk control panel to see if anything is selected.)

shopdowneast
Jun 8, 2000, 03:54 PM

holding down (right after pressing power on button)
option+command+shift+delete
will force the machine to ignore the disk chosen in the start up disk control panel, and scan the scsi chain (including FD) for another valid system folder.
The disk tools floppy should have either the correct "enabler" or a generic enabler that will let the machine boot.
If you have another mac that is working and uses scsi, you can always pull the HD from the Se and temp put it in the other machine to format and load software. Just chaeck what scsi ID the jumpers are set to, and make dif. than drives on working machine.
(just formatted, loaded software, and burned a CD backup of 210 meg drive from IIci with it hanging by the wires from side of my umax tower)
given, tho that pulling drive from SE is alot more trouble than in IIci.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2000, 05:44 PM

Adam, the system boots off a floppy as highest priority, then the specified disk in the Startup Disk contorl panel.

shopdowneast, the floppy drive is not on the SCSI chain.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules