Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CD Playback on a G3 All-In-One

CD Playback on a G3 All-In-One
poingferret
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2000, 11:29 AM

OK, we're trying to get the school's G3 All-In-One systems to play CD's, and while they'll mount the CD's and CD programs will read everything out correctly, the thing refuses to play at all. (this is system 8.6)

I've run Conflict Catcher and it says the CD/DVD program is conflicting with the GameSprockets group as well as some USB drivers. The only solution Conflict Catcher can offer is to disable everything, including the CD/DVD drivers (kind of like killing the patient to cure the disease). I've tried upgrading the drivers, the sprockets, everything. Different music programs come to the same failure, and I'm out of ideas. Please, please help and e-mail anything you have to offer...

Chris

The Wolfe
Sep 25, 2000, 01:28 PM

The G3 All-In-One machines had alot of ways to input sound, but if you want to play CD's, you have to go to the Moniters and Sound control panal and change the config to CD imput. Try playing with the. Sounds like this could be your problem.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

poingferret  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2000, 02:35 PM

I've tried this and it checks out, but thanks for the idea. Is there maybe some kind of software workaround that's floating out there (I'm trying UnMute It with no success.)
Thanks.

Chris

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 25, 2000, 04:46 PM

Have you tried disabling the GameSprockets and the USB drivers (without disabling the CD driver)? How about using headphones (maybe the speakers have a problem)? I have used a nice app called SoundRecorder to record things from line input and CD's, which may provide the software workaround you are looking for, but I don't completely understand the problem - so give it a shot anyway, maybe it will work. Download it here What you will need to do is set it up to take CD input, and to set it to play through. Hope that helps!
[edit] dang urls!
------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!

[This message has been edited by MacOS761 (edited 09-28-2000).]
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Cipher13
Sep 25, 2000, 10:30 PM

You have got the Audio CD extension on right?

Cipher13

poingferret  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2000, 07:50 AM

Ok, I'll try disbaling the extensions and using headphones. I guess my question is if this is a problem under this model when using 8.6 in general? Would I have a better shot with 8.1 or 9? What do you guys think?

Also, I need some feedback on my new website, www.poingferret.com

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules