Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help with a new CD-Rom drive on a Quadra 630

Help with a new CD-Rom drive on a Quadra 630
rwitham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2000, 09:33 PM

I hope somebody can help me with this problem. My son recently got a Quadra 630 in great shape for free. So we figured that we could set it up to be a begining internet machine. So we bought a 56K Global Village modem, and a CD-Rom drive.(4X) The CD-Rom drive installation was no sweat, however when we went to install the software for the modem we found we had a problem. The drive opens and closes but doesn't recognize or mount the CD. So we are back to square one. Did I do something wrong or do I need a missing piece of software or an extention to get the drive working properly. If so, where can I get or download the right software. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2000, 11:35 PM

Its quite possible that Apple's CD-driver does not recognize your drive... unless the CD-ROM is an Apple branded drive, you're not going to get the drive recognized. You have two options... a third party driver such as FWB's CD-ROM toolkit, or use a hacked version of the Apple Driver (this hack was featured at Resexcellence http://www.resexcellence.com . The second way may not work as well as the first, but its free. If you can't find the hack, email me at [email protected] and I'll email you a copy of it (its worked for my non-Apple CD-ROM drives).

Cheers!
Chris

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2000, 12:10 AM

The second way will work very well. I am on OS 9.0.4 with a PM8500/G3-454 and have been using the hack from ResExcellence for over 2 years on OS 8.1, 8.5, 8.6 and 9.0. It is a very simple hack using ResEdit. Make sure and save a copy for later OS upgrades or System rebuilding/restoring.

Forum Links
Forum Rules