Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Linksys, IP, Mac Dynamic DNS client help!

Linksys, IP, Mac Dynamic DNS client help!
bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 07:16 AM

I have been using the DynDNS client for some time on the same setup as you describe (LinkSys. G4. etc) and it has worked fine for months. Then all the sudden starting last month I started having problems with it. For one thing the beta MacDynDNS client that runs as a background never seems to update when the IP changes. Am I correct in assuming it is supposed to watch the IP and change it when it notices a change? The only RELIABLE method I have found for keeping my IP updated is with an AppleScript that runs every X hours and launches the older (non-background) MacDynDNS client. Other than that I am also having oddities with the actual IP number showing up properly. For example - if I use the CGI at DynDNS to detect my IP it always shows up as "209.26.234.10" the first time, then each subsequent run displays the proper IP. Any ideas? I also used to use a little ustility called "IP Addresser" which returns the WAN address in a dialog and puts it on the clipboard. Now whenever I run it - it returns the strangest thing:

style="mso-list: none; mso-list-ins: '' 19991102T2025">�

Looks like the crap you see when you view a web page created in MS Word. That one just baffles me.

I have written the DynDNS people and they are stumped. I have tried several options to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here?

Note I keep my router updated with the latest LinkSys firmware - currently at 1.38.5.

- thx

Forum Links
Forum Rules