Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple at Montreux

Apple at Montreux
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2001, 10:13 AM

I just went over to the Montreux Jazz Festival to see the brilliant David Gray (even better live), and when I was wandering around looking for the venue (Miles Davis Hall), I knew I had found it when a huge poster of Miles Davis appeared in front of me with the words "Think Different" as the caption, and of course, and Apple logo.

Inside the main hall, Apple and Canon had a joint display set up with an iBook surrounded by various peripherals, mostly Canon.

BUT, the Apple logo was almost invisible, printed white on clear, while the Canon logo was a brilliant red, and made the whole thing look like a Canon only display.

Even at the top of the display, the words "your life, to go" in French were clearly legible, and then... the Canon logo! It looked like the iBook was a freaking Canon product. Horrible, horrible logo placement on the part of Apple. The promotions manager should be fired for that kind of sloppy work.

Nevertheless, there was a small table set up with an iBook and a TiBook hooked up, running 3d rendering and the like. They looked great, though I have to admit now that I'm used to the TiBook, text on the the iBook display looks really small. I've used a PC with 1024x768 resolution before (AIers will remember the gorgeous Mitac I bought for my wife), so I thought I was used to it... but not. I don't think I would want 1600 wide resolution on my Ti.

It's great to see Apple sponsoring major international events. There wasn't a PC company's logo to be seen anywhere.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: tonton ]
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2001, 05:19 PM

Is it in your opinion the greatest Jazz festival in the world.

It must have been really and incredible experience to listen to the best Jazz in the world.

So far the best Jazz I have seen in person is Pat Methany. In Blues Johnny Lee Hooker.

And in October I am going to see Diana Krall.

This is the main reason why I would go to Europe MUSIC everywhere.

tonton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2001, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Monique:
<STRONG>Is it in your opinion the greatest Jazz festival in the world.</STRONG>
Speak for yourself! In MY opinion, it's a pop festival. There were some great jazz musicians there this year, especially taking into account the Brazilian legends Jo�o Gilberto, Milton Nascimento and Gilberto Gil, jazz greats such as Pat Metheny and George Duke, and Blues king BB King. However, 3/4 of all acts this year were pop, dance and hip hop. Of course, for many of us, it is definitely worth seeing Dylan, Van Morrison, Sting and Neil Young. For me it easily was worth the 2 hour train ride just to see David Gray (unfortunately, I'm working, and didn't have the chance to see any of the legends mentioned above).

<STRONG>It must have been really and incredible experience to listen to the best Jazz in the world.</STRONG>
Sorry, I missed it. Instead, I listened to one of the best, and until he toured with Robbie Williams last year, least known singer/songwriters of the past decade.

<STRONG>So far the best Jazz I have seen in person is Pat Methany. In Blues Johnny Lee Hooker.</STRONG>
Fantastic! I love small jazz clubs better than big concerts, though. I used to go to this place in Venice Beach called Monica's, and i would be in heaven the whole night through listening to a simple trio (guitar, piano, drums) with my love by my side. Ah, the memories.

<STRONG>And in October I am going to see Diana Krall.

This is the main reason why I would go to Europe MUSIC everywhere.</STRONG>
No kidding. Of course, being from LA, I was always able to see great acts in any genre during my early twenties. Even met some greats like Phish, the Tragically Hip and the Inspiral Carpets back stage at a few shows (I was a record label intern). But when I went to Hong Kong... ugh! There's such a lack of live music it's sickening. Did manage to see Sting and Suede there, though.

Here's to great music and great musicians!

Cheers!
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules