Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is OS X 10.1 REALLY a free upgrade?

Is OS X 10.1 REALLY a free upgrade?
dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 07:04 PM

I never was able to get my "free" upgrade for OS X at CompUSA, so last week I ordered the upgrade from Apple. They came in this weekend, and I must say that 10.1 is much better, all around, then 10.0 was.

Now that I can see Linux Disks (using Netatalk) from OS X, I'm once again going through the process of looking for a buyer for my old Blue & White G3. I plan on selling it with my full, retail copy of OS X 10.0

Can I legally include a copy of the upgrade from the OS X Update Package? The license included with the OS X Upgrade is the standard boilerplate license that doesn't even reflect the "Right To Copy" additions for my other copy of OS X that I claimed on the Upgrade Order Form. I've read all over the Web that you could obtain one upgrade and use it on all of your computers, but nothing in the license reflects that.

I'm so confused! I know if I get this wrong, the EBay police will flay me. Since when did selling software second-hand require a Law Degree?

Am I the only one that thinks that Apple botched this whole upgrade affair big time? And who feels like a tool for buying 10.0 (which was, IMHO, incomplete) in the first place? Oh well.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

dreilly1  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 11:53 PM

Well, I made a random trip to the CompUSA today for something else, and noticed that they did get new upgrade packages in, even though they told me emphatically a few weeks ago that they would not be getting any more, and that I would "have to get them directly from Mac" from now on. No biggie. I grabbed one and I'll put it in with the OS X disks.

I'm still confused by the fact that the friggin' upgrade CD had the full license documentation along with it. There's nothing that says it's a kosker thing to use the upgrade on more than one computer, although since the upgrade CD requires OS X to be already installed, it shouldn't matter.

Am I the only person who reads these license thingies, and who gets concerned when they don't appear reasonable, or even sensible?

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules