Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Gamewizard Voodoo II Card For iMacs- Need input!!

Gamewizard Voodoo II Card For iMacs- Need input!!
Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 1999, 01:00 PM

About 3 weeks ago, I recieved a a new Game Wizard for my Rev.B iMac running OS 8.6 with 96 MB of RAM. After nervously, but successfully installing it, I went to turn on my precious gem of a computer. Low and behold, it would not start up. I'd press the power button and nothing. Not a sound. I took the card out, and there was still nothing. The iMac, thankfully still under warranty even after this Game Wizard excursion, has been in the shop for the past 12 days. So far, technicians tell me that the power supply has been replaced, but the it did not fix the problem.
Here is what I am wondering, could Apple have written something in one of their little "bugfix" firmware updates that would completely disable use of the mezzanine slot, and quite possibly, use of the computer? Or could it have been a major error of the installer himself (which would be me)? I am definitely betting on the latter, but given the whole situation with the G4 block in B&W G3's, it wouldn't surprise me if some of Apple's recent greed tactics could somehow play into any of these major problems.
Hoping to hear from anyone who can give some decent input into this whole situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules