Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When does your 1Ghz Fan kick on?

When does your 1Ghz Fan kick on?
Tomster
Senior User
Nov 30, 2002, 06:28 PM

Hi,

I bought a 1 Ghz SD Powerbook a week ago. After using it at work for a week, (Filemaker, Photoshop, some shell scripting) I noted the fan would occasionally kick on and shut off a few minutes later. That was to be expected. While playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein, both fans ran continuously under the high cpu and gpu load. That also was expected. This weekend I listened to iTunes while checking my mail. After 5 minutes of iTunes, the fan would kick on and stay on as long as iTunes was playing. That was unexpected.

I decided to run a test. This morning, I turned on my Powerbook from a cold start. Room temp was about 65. The unit was plugged in and set for full speed, not reduced. iTunes was running as well as the terminal running top -us2. I estimate via top that over 80% of the processor was idle. After 5 minutes, the right side fan came on and stayed on. Three minutes after I quit iTunes, the fan turned off. At no time did the machine feel more than slightly warm. The Powerbook is on a podium cool pad and the only other thing plugged in was a usb mouse.

My question to all the other 1Ghz Powerbook owners, is, "Is this normal?" Does the fan kick on under a relatively light, but continuous load, or is there something wrong with my machine, i.e., malfunctioning fan switch? Basically, is this something I should have repaired, or something I have to get use to?

Thanks,

Tom

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 08:58 PM

That sounds about right and what I've experienced with my Ti, but it doesn't really bother me. **shrug**

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 03:49 AM

Hi,

I just tried reducing the cpu speed. From a cold start, I get about twelve minutes of iTunes before the fan kicks on.

No matter what the processor speed, while running only iTunes, the fan will not shut off. Is this everyone else's experience?

Tom

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2002, 05:54 AM

Are you using visualizations in iTunes? Visualizations take up mad amounts of CPU and graphics power...

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 06:38 AM

Nope. No visualizations, just playing mp3's. As I mentioned earlier, over 80% processor idle, which means my fan will come on and stay on with 20% sustained cpu usage. Kinda weird if Apple intended this.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Nope. No visualizations, just playing mp3's. As I mentioned earlier, over 80% processor idle, which means my fan will come on and stay on with 20% sustained cpu usage. Kinda weird if Apple intended this.
Perhaps you should remove it from the coolpad so we can compare fairly consistent settings. Do you think the fan is linked to CPU usage or to temperature? I suspect its temperature gated. Even if CPU usage is at 20%, that doesn't mean that the internal casing isn't heating up.

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 02:55 PM

Yes, I would assume the fan is linked to the temp, not the cpu usage. However, cpu usage and temerature are linked: the more cpu usage, the more heat. When the cpu generates enough heat so that passive cooling will not suffice, the fan will come on. My question is why does such low cpu usage generate enough heat to kick the fan on? My fear is there is something wrong with the fan switch, or perhaps a loose heatsink. Remember the old beige g3's and the clip orientation? I wanted to verify if others had similar experiences with their 1 Ghz Powerbook. The Apple genius I spoke to at the Apple store in my neighborhood said my fan sould not be coming on so quickly, but he was not certain about that. That's why I wanted an informal survey.

wilburguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 03:37 PM

I've been leading a thread on this very topic. FWIW- My 1GHZ PowerBook does the same thing. The right fan comes on for no apparent reason (ie. no heat/low cpu usage) and stays on longer than I think it should. I do no think this is OK and I have sent mine back to be checked out. If this fan behavior is "normal" for this model, it's headed for EBay.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2002, 03:43 PM

Even if it were "normal" for the model, it's quieter than most other TiBooks. The only quieter model was the 400-megahertz TiBook, but even then, its hard drive more than made up for its lack of fan noise.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Even if it were "normal" for the model, it's quieter than most other TiBooks. The only quieter model was the 400-megahertz TiBook, but even then, its hard drive more than made up for its lack of fan noise.
Really?... I think my gz Ti is quieter in the fan dept than my Ti400 was.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2002, 08:14 PM

The 400-megahertz TiBook's fan wasn't active very often. Its fan was louder, though. Basically, I'm saying fans can't make noise if they're not active.

If you gave the 400-megahertz TiBook ample cooling (i.e. don't put it on a blanket or carpet), the fan doesn't come on.

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 02:27 AM

Hi Sean,

I read your other post in another thread on the second run Powerbooks with less aggresive fan controlers. Is that a firmware upgrade or a whole new component? If it is just a firmware thing, I would be happy to wait until Apple releases an update. If it is a hardware issue needing an RMA and some downtime, then I can just return my Powerbook: I am still in my first two weeks of ownership. I had not even considered that option until a genius at the Apple bar suggested it to me.

Thanks for your help with this.

Tom

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 02:46 AM

I'm actually not sure. Seeing as though they're not using a new fan but a new fan controlling script or controller, I think it has something to do with firmware. However, I will ask my source tomorrow for more information as to what's changed.

If you have no dead pixels on your screen, I recommend you keep the notebook regardless of this change in fan scripting.

Remember that these fixes only prevent problems that can come up on the first-run PowerBooks; not all PowerBooks had faulty fan controllers, and not all PowerBooks had the "green line" problem with DVD movies.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2002, 02:47 AM

Tomster,
The right-hand fan on my 1-gig PowerBook also comes on quite quickly, long before the 'Book seems warm, and runs a good deal of the time. Have to admit that it's not overly loud, though. With the volume of iTunes turned up at all, I have to check to see if the fan's spinning.

But the reason I am writing is to venture that Apple is hearing from enough of us that they will raise the threshold in a future system (or firmware) update. At least I am hoping they will, and encourage people send feedback to Apple and let them know what we want and need.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 02:50 AM

I haven't heard anything about a firmware update for the latest machines. I've just heard that they're fixing some problems in later production runs. I've mentioned the two major ones, but there are a few other, minor problems that I can't recall at the moment.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 05:22 AM

I've got my 800DVI and 1GHz SD sitting alongside each other. Have had them copying files over my AirPort network for the past two hours.

As I type this on my 800DVI, her fan has kicked in for the first time (which is quiet as a mouse!) - otherwise it has been dead silent.

My 1GHz SD on the other hand, it's damn turbine has been going since a mere 5-10 minutes after I turned her on and hasn't stopped this entire time. It's outright embarrassing how bloody noising the thing is, it's like a CD is spinning in her... oh f#&k me, another fan just kicked in, first time I've heard that... how much more noisier can she get?!?!?!? Sounds like the wind is blowing inside her!

Funnily enough, my 800DVI has just switched off her quiet little fan. That was, what, a whole two minutes?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 05:29 AM

Just thought I'd add that throughout this entire time the 1GHz SD is stone cold (ie difficult to find any temperature at all) whilst my 800DVI is hot enough to burn (ie damn hot).

Maybe the 1GHz SD is trying to keep some hidden beer cold?

Haegar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 08:28 AM

I decided to go with the Ti 867 and 1GB of Ram. Start working with the machine in my really quite office, I noticed the same behavior.

5 Minutes after start the right fan kicks in and will never stop, even if I do nothing. It's annoying loud compared to my Ti400, even the Ti400 HD was not so annoying, because it went to sleep while typing.

If I use a second display, for text editing too (only ProjectBuilder), the second fan kicks in, too.

Is this a normal behaviour even on the Ti867? Is the Ti867 louder, than the 1Ghz?

My dealer offered my an exchange for a new / other 867 or with paying the difference for a 1 Ghz/combo, what should I do?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 09:18 AM

Sounds identical to my 1GHz experience - now 6 hours later and the fan has NEVER stopped thus far!!!

maxed-out
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 09:38 AM

My fan seems to be on all the time when plugged into my 20" monitor, maybe that's normal if the graphics card is running something like that.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2002, 12:56 PM

Tom,

I can echo everyone's posts here. On my 1Ghz, even with extremely light use of a few minutes, the loud fan comes on and just keeps on churning. Oh well.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2002, 02:11 PM

Based upon seanyepez' comments, this problem with the loud, continuous fan is a glitch of the first-run batch of new Ti's - the other glitch being the "green line on screen" during DVD play.

Have any of you noticed both problems on your new Ti's? It sounds like the loud fan glitch is common, but I've heard far fewer complaints of the other glitch.

Have any of you contacted Apple support to see what they suggest for a fix? I'm waiting for my TiSD (which is currently still sitting in Alaska - at customs, I guess), but if it comes with either problem, it's going back to Apple for repair or replacement. (Sean made a good point about this - if the screen is perfect, i.e. no dead/stuck pixels, getting it repaired would be preferable to replaced, which could result in a less-than-perfect screen!)

iBorg

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 05:55 PM

Well, it was good to know that my Powerbook was not an isolated case. Had it been so, I would have taken it back with regret, as every other aspect of the machine was outstanding. My screen was flawless and there were no other major issues. Since the fans switch seemed to be an issue affecting many others, I wondered how this was to be addressed by Apple. I'm certainly not going to return this now and get another Powerbook with the exact same fan issue and some stuck pixels to boot.

I haven't noticed any green lines in my DVD playback, although I had one strange observation on one single disk. I played The Matrix to check out the new dvd drive and noticed that the color black was not truly black anymore. There was some pixelization in the darker shades. I loaded the same dvd in my old Ti 500 and the color was razor sharp. However, I played Ice Age in the Superdrive and the color was perfect. Weird.

Not sure if that was due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be a ATI Radeon 9000 driver yet. AFAIK we are using the Radeon 8500 driver.

So I guess with the fan issue, I will wait until Apple announces a patch or recall.

blackketter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 11:31 PM

The fan in my 1Ghz TiBook seems to behave like others have mentioned. The system runs silently for about 5 minutes of work, then the first fan kicks in before the system seems hot enough.

Second, louder fan kicks in when you really press the system.

I'm going to bring mine back to the apple store where I purchased it and see if there's anything they can do...

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 01:10 AM

I've been doing more testing and comparisons between my 800DVI and 1GHz SD.

For the first five minutes, ie before the blowdryer kicks in, the 1GHz SD is actually quieter than the 800DVI - it's quite amazing how quiet they've gotten it.

When the fan kicks in five minutes later, it's certainly louder than the 800DVI when it kicks its fan in half an hour later, BUT is understandable given it has a more powerful CPU to keep cool. Of course it could be quietened by slowing it down, but that's not my main concern.

Where the problem is, in my opinion, is that whilst the 800DVI cools itself for a minute or two then switches the fan off (thereby dead silent again) the 1GHz SD NEVER EVER switches the fan off. NEVER. Eight hours last night proved that!!!!

I'd like to think it's a software thing, but given some PowerBooks have the problem and some don't it sounds to me like a hardware fault

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 03:54 AM

Been doing more tests:

1. 1GHz SD is whisper quiet, as I said quiter than my 800DVI

2. If I boot and not open anything what-so-ever (previously would have a page open in Chimera, turns out Chimera chews up 30% or so whilst doing nothing!) the fan doesn't kick in

3. If I wait 40 minutes whilst doing NOTHING what-so-ever, fan still does not kick in

4. Open Chimera, which consumes 30% doing nothing, and within a minute or two the fan kicks in

5. Fan NEVER EVER turns off (even after 8 hours, as above)

6. After allowing plenty of time for the notebook to cool down, yet the fan is still running (as above), shutting down (ie power off) and then restarting causes the fan to turn off

7. Force CPU load up again so the fan kicks in. Again, it will NEVER EVER turn off

8. Unplug the power and run on batteries - fan runs for another few minutes BUT then turns OFF!!!

9. Fan remains off whilst there is no load.

10. Place some load on the system, and the fan kicks in - BUT not the noisy right hand side one, the center fan kicks in (quieter)

11. Haven't yet witnessed it turn off - disappointing as, since it turned on, battery time has dropped by an entire hour.

GRRRR, can't believe I'm wasting time over this - should be enjoying her as I did (and do) my 800DVI...
( Last edited by DVD Plaza; Dec 3, 2002 at 04:17 AM. )

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 05:54 AM

Battery fan never turns off either... ARGH!

Closed off EVERYTHING on my 1GHz SD, idle was 89-92% (ie no load)

Started up several instantces of Chimera on my 800DVI, idle a mere 35-38% (ie high load)

Over a period of 1 hour my 800DVI refused to start its fan, the 1GHz SD had its on the whole time.

Worse yet I noticed that when turbo turbine mode engages, ie both fans full blast, on the 1GHz SD then BOTH will never turn off again...

hippy
Banned
Dec 3, 2002, 06:01 AM

I can live with the fan being on alot, but what I want to know is.... is it doiing any longterm damage to my PB?

...also has anyone tried reseting the power management unit ????
( Last edited by hippy; Dec 3, 2002 at 06:12 AM. )

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 06:26 AM

I've tried doing that twice, but the date and time have been unchanged - so either the date/time no longer affected, or the reset hasn't worked (could possibly relate to the problem - my first Airport Base Station used to lockup all the time, and a hard reset wouldn't work either... had to get it swapped for a new one).

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 07:08 AM

Chris, if you continue posting these depressing results of your tests, I'll probably have to give up on the idea of getting a T1000 SD and selling my T800.
I really like my computer to be silent. Or rather, make that: I want my computer to be silent.

Thanks anyway for the time you invest in this!
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 07:52 AM

I tried running the hardware diagnostics - both fans came on full throttle throughtout that but no problems were found

Hearing numerous reports of silent 1GHz PowerBooks, their descriptions sound exactly how my 800DVI performs and how I expected my 1GHz to run, so I'm going to call the Apple Centre soon and report the fault. First though, I know a (newly) certified Apple engineer and he hasn't seen the 1GHz machines yet so I'm going to get him around to have a looksie.

As I type this I have my 1GHz SD on my lap whilst reviewing a DVD - the PowerBook is not only more noisy than my projector (and has had its turbines running full the whole time) but it has slowly become as hot on my lap as my 800DVI always did... so the blowdrying ain't quite doing what I thought it was...

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 08:08 AM

Chris,

Based on all you've related, it sure sounds like you should show your unit to Apple ASAP. The few units I've seen all run much more quietly than you describe. There's bound to be a defective unit or two in any run of high-tech products by any maker...

...or maybe the fans run in reverse down under...

hippy
Banned
Dec 3, 2002, 11:31 AM

Guy's

I have just spoken to Apple tech support here in the UK and they have re-assured me that it is quite normal and expected for the fan to stay on whilst using the 1ghz powerbook.

Just enjoy the speed...so what if the fan is on !

drop the power of the processor and the fan will disappear...therefore it's unlikely the majority of 'problem' fans are controller problems.
( Last edited by hippy; Dec 3, 2002 at 11:40 AM. )

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2002, 12:24 PM

On the PC side, when there is something wrong with a notebook's power management system (like the fans not knowing when to shut off, etc.) there is usually an updated BIOS release to fix it. I am assuming that the Mac equivalent to this would be a firmware update to address issues like these. Does Apple update the firmware on their systems often? Or are you stuck with what was shipped?

Also, I've said it many times before - so what the fans are always on to cool the system, the real problem for me is that you can hear them. If the 'always-on' fan system in the new PowerBooks was a deliberate design, then I can't help but think of the audacity Apple has by using loud fans when QUIET ones ARE out there and available. My fan in my PC notebook is on just as often, but you'd never know it.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by hippy:
Just enjoy the speed...so what if the fan is on !
Running my 1GHz SD side by side by my 800DVI I haven't found the speed improvement to be "that" great, maybe a second trimmed off here and there.

The biggest improvements are the amazingly bright screen (hardly see why people say to turn down the brightness though, whites are now white - turn the brightness down and it'll be dim like the 800DVI), earthing of the PowerBook (nobody seems to have mentioned this, maybe it's specific to the Australian one, but the power cable has an Earth pin and the powerpack passes it via a metal round knob (the cable now connects via a box rather than straight into the powerpack, the grooves make the earth connection) meaning no more shocks when gentle brushing against/along it) and the amazing silentness of the beast... until the damn turbines kick in and never ever turn off.

So what if they never turn off? If I'm only one of a handful of people experiecing it, doesn't that suggest there is something wrong and (thank god) this isn't normal?

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 07:30 PM

For DVDPlaza:

10. Place some load on the system, and the fan kicks in - BUT not the noisy right hand side one, the center fan kicks in (quieter)

So the right-side fan on your powerbook (the one near where the ac adapter connects, the one that usually comes on when the ac adapter is plugged in) is the LOUD one? On mine this fan runs often but is virtually silent, much much quieter than the fan in the center back. Nothing makes the right side fan noisy on mine-not even long term 100% processor use which makes the back center fan go like crazy.

If your right side fan is anywhere near as noisy as (or especially noiser than) the back center fan, then I suspect it is defective.
( Last edited by jmp998; Dec 3, 2002 at 07:42 PM. )

wilburguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 07:44 PM

I've been battling the exact same problem on my 1GHz PowerBook. Mine is at an Apple repair depot being checked out.

My 550 never got THIS loud with little or no load on the CPU. It only came on loud when I was beating on it! The new fan on the right side by the power switch is a screamer!

If they tell me that the hoover side fan behavior is normal, I will have a 1 week old PowerBook for sale on EBay.

I'm bumming heavily.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by jmp998:
So the right-side fan on your powerbook (the one near where the ac adapter connects, the one that usually comes on when the ac adapter is plugged in) is the LOUD one? On mine this fan runs often but is virtually silent, much much quieter than the fan in the center back. Nothing makes the right side fan noisy on mine-not even long term 100% processor use which makes the back center fan go like crazy. If your right side fan is anywhere near as noisy as (or especially noiser than) the back center fan, then I suspect it is defective.
Interesting!!!! YES the right hand side one is the one that is on PERMANENTLY - it sounds like a combination of reading a CD (which makes a loud whooshing sound) and a high pitched whirl... It is loud and never turns off.

When on battery, which engages the CENTER fan instead, that fan is nearly as loud but is a deep sound rather than a high pitched one. Note that I've compared both my 800DVI and 1GHz SD and the fan that is used in the center of both PowerBooks are completely different looking fans, definitely been a change there.

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Interesting!!!! YES the right hand side one is the one that is on PERMANENTLY - it sounds like a combination of reading a CD (which makes a loud whooshing sound) and a high pitched whirl... It is loud and never turns off.

When on battery, which engages the CENTER fan instead, that fan is nearly as loud but is a deep sound rather than a high pitched one. Note that I've compared both my 800DVI and 1GHz SD and the fan that is used in the center of both PowerBooks are completely different looking fans, definitely been a change there.
Yes the back center fan is a little loud and is a new design-looks like it blows at a right angle to the rotational axis of the fan (better design in my opinion, given the fan's orientation).

The right side fan on mine is quiet enough that I can't hear it if there is any significant background noise-tv, radio etc-but if I put my hand there I can feel it blowing. When the back fan is on I can always hear it and the blowing from the back vent feels much stronger than the blowing from the side vent.

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 09:22 PM

Well, I called Apple Tech Support and we went through the whole "reset the pmu - zap pram" dance. To save anyone else the time, that really doesn't do anything helpful. I was told to bring it to an Apple store to have it checked out. The Genius there told me that what I described did not sound normal at all and to call Apple Tech Support again. I did so and ended up explaining the entire situation to someone new. That person said what I described did not sound normal - low cpu load=endless fan. It looks like my Powerbook will be taking a trip to Austin, Texas in the next day or two.

It is my opinion that the fan is a bug and not a feature. Apple prides itself on design. Look at the bottom of a Powerbook or an iBook. Now look at the bottom of a Dell. Compare the Powerbook AC adapter with one from Compact. Hold an iPod next to, well, just about anything. A company that spends that much attention to detail would not build their top of the line laptop to sound like a hair dryer under a minor cpu load. Bottom line is that this has to be a defect.

The issue at hand is whether or not Apple will admit to this. In certain cases, like the 5300, everyone had the option to send it back for service. (Incdentally, my 5300 was perfect and did not need repair.) In other cases, like the blistering paint problem, a rather blind eye was turned. I guess that I will be among the first group to determine how this issue will be treated. Worse case scenario right now is to get the Powerbook back in a week with a "No Problems Found" note. I will be updating everyone as events unfold.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2002, 11:12 PM

Yeah, the fan problem you guys are describing sounds like the bug Apple is fixing in the second batch of PowerBooks.

I'm glad others notice the aesthetics of Apple computers; the design of PowerBooks is so plain yet so cool. Dell or any other PC manufacturer clutters the sides, backs, and bottoms of their notebooks up with ugly covers and ports.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I'm glad others notice the aesthetics of Apple computers; the design of PowerBooks is so plain yet so cool.
Every single aspect of the PowerBook 800DVI along with OSX itself are what soley made me a switcher. The 1GHz SD is only my second beast (yep, within the same year - that's how hooked I am!), which makes this whole ordeal even more heartbreaking.

My friend (actually, my partner's brother!) is researching the fan issue, in the mean time also advising the Apple Centre I purchased the machine from that I may need to return it as a DOA, so awaiting feedback ASAP on what I am to do.

Glad my fan issue is definitely not normal - I am very VERY proud of my 800DVI but, frankly, I would be embarrassed to use the 1GHz around anyone with the noise it makes

hippy
Banned
Dec 4, 2002, 07:59 AM

Hi Sean

I have been reading with great interest your posts regarding fan activity with the new PB 1ghz.

I recieved mine last week and I am not sure if Ihave the problem or not. My quite fan seems to be most of the time mostly when I am working in Flash my CPU monitor peaks to 100% during export, but the fan does switch off if I leave the PB or reduce the work load. It also seems to come on more whilst plugged in to AC

Does it sound like I have the FAN bug???? and if so do you think there will be anyway of fixing this without sending my PB back. It is perfect in every other respect.

Thanks for your time

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 08:11 AM

I have an 867MHz, but I seem to have similar issues.

It seems really hit-and-miss talking about what programs are running for how long and when the fans start. Shouldn't we be talking about when the fans kick in based on the temperature of the processor. That seems more empirical. Doesn't thermo in dock measure the temp of the CPU? Perhaps we could use that to note:

1) Temperature when right hand fan kicks in.
2) Temperature after 5 minutes of right hand fan.
3) Temperature after 10 minutes of right hand fan.
4) Temperature after 30 minutes of right hand fan.
5) Temperature when center fan blows harder.
6) Temperature when center fan switches back to normal speed.
7) Temperature at which right hand fan switches off.

Perhaps you guys who have studied this more carefully have better ideas as to when to measure and want to modify the table.

hippy
Banned
Dec 4, 2002, 08:43 AM

Hi Sean

I have been reading with great interest your posts regarding fan activity with the new PB 1ghz.

I recieved mine last week and I am not sure if Ihave the problem or not. My quite fan seems to be most of the time mostly when I am working in Flash my CPU monitor peaks to 100% during export, but the fan does switch off if I leave the PB or reduce the work load. It also seems to come on more whilst plugged in to AC

Does it sound like I have the FAN bug???? and if so do you think there will be anyway of fixing this without sending my PB back. It is perfect in every other respect.

Thanks for your time

wolfen
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 09:49 AM

I made a discovery, I think. I'm not sure if it's consistent or not...

Last night the fan kicked in when I worked in Photoshop, and then it wouldn't stop. I even put it to sleep (30seconds) twice and when it woke up it still blew the fan.

I then realized my battery was not fully charged (only 20%) and wondered if charging the battery + using the PB was a heat concern to the engineers. It makes sense, anyway, that they would protect the machine if it was in a vulnerable state (re: heat production). So as annoying as it was, I kept using it (in Word only) with the intermediate fan blowing. It stopped EXACTLY when the battery changed from 98% to 99%. It was silent from that point on.

Sure the fan will come back on after the battery was charged. Now I have to experiment with my usage and battery charging, etc.

Just an observation.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

hippy
Banned
Dec 4, 2002, 10:08 AM

yeah wolfen

similar things happening here I guess it makes sense that whilst charging the fan is on !

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 11:16 AM

Another data point on the fan issue.

My Ti "superbook" (1 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Superdrive) arrived yesterday. It was ordered on Nov. 6 and was one of the batch of machines that shipped from Taiwan late last week.

The screen seems great -- no obvious stuck pixels. I tried 1 DVD and did NOT see any green line during full screen playback.

But I do seem to have high and frequent fan usage. After turning it on the first time it was quiet -- no fans. Then after a few minutes (10-15) the right side fan came on while charging for the first time. When I put the DVD to look for the green line, the middle fan came on.

Neither fan was excessively noisy (not vacuum cleaner loud for sure) but they were easy to hear in the house. This was in the dining room so I could hear the refrigerator running in the kitchen and the hot air heat blowing from the registers and the Powerbook fans were quite audible in spite of this ambient noise.

Once the machine was fully charged, I unplugged the adapter. Shortly thereafter the right side fan turned off and stayed off (while running on battery). The middle fan stayed on over the next few hours while running on battery. I updated to 10.2.2, updated to Quicktime 6.02 and applied the recent security update. After each reboot for these updates, the middle fan was on immediately and stayed on.

I find that the middle fan is actually less noisy and disturbing than the right fan. When the battery warning alert came up (I was intentionally letting the battery discharge as per user manual suggestions), I plugged in the adaptor and within a few minutes the right side fan came on again. It clearly is louder than the middle fan.

After some time charging, I noticed that the middle fan got quieter and may have turned off altogether. The right fan kept on blowing. While I was charging, I ran the Xbench program. Almost immediately the middle fan got noisy again (or turned on if it had been off). When the CPU load lessened, the middle fan quieted down.

While in this charging mode, I put the machine to sleep a few times. When I woke it up the fan(s) were running immediately.

Now this is my first experience with the machine. My main machine to-date has been a Pismo G3/500 with 640 Megs of memory. The fan for this machine almost never comes on no matter what the CPU load is or whether I am running on battery or AC. The hard drive in the Pismo is definitely more noisy than the Ti 1Ghz.

So overall I am disappointed with the fan experience. I will live with it for a few days to see if it gets better and to see what others report on their newly delivered Ti books. But right now I am inclined to ask for a return box and have it checked out.

sigh

Jim

paranopete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 12:42 PM

Got my PB 1Ghz SD yesterday, and have the same strange "powerconnector-thing".

First 2 hours I ran it without the AC-Adapter till the battery was empty. Then I plugged the AC in and nearly immediately the fan came on (don't remember if the center fan was running...). After loading a while and continue configurating the new machine I try to feel how warm it is. And it was surprisingly cool. It was way cooler than my old 667 VGA, but the right fan was blowing at full speed. So I pulled off the AC and after putting the machine to sleep and waking it up - no fan anymore. Putting the connector - fan goes on.

Today I thought, that charging the battery may produce a lot of heat, so probably the fan goes on automatically if you charging. But it don't turn off when the power has reached 100%!!! And I could feel that the blown out air on the right side was not warm! (Really low processor usage at this point)

So I disconnected the AC and after 3-4 minutes the right fan stopped blowing. I reconnected it and: SILENCE... so I decided to make a high processor usage and rendered something in Aftereffects. After some minutes both fans went on and after stopping the rendering process, they stopped after a short while.

My conclusion: There is something quite strange about the right fan and charging or just putting the AC-Connector in. Tomorrow I will phone Apple Techsupport in Germany and ask them what they think about this and if they have a fix for it.

Please keep on posting to this issue, because I think this is a real problem and we all have to share our informations about this!
check out: http://loops.pardeike.net

hippy
Banned
Dec 4, 2002, 01:33 PM

cool keep us posted dude

Forum Links
Forum Rules