Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook UJ-815 SuperDrive: What firmware do you have?

View Poll Results: What SuperDrive firmware did your powerbook ship with?
Poll Options:
12" AluBook with D0CB firmware 33 votes (22.92%)
12" AluBook with other firmware (please post) 0 votes (0%)
15" TiBook with D0C4 firmware 63 votes (43.75%)
15" TiBook with other firmware (please post) 1 votes (0.69%)
17" AluBook with D0C7 firmware 0 votes (0%)
17" AluBook with DWDB firmware 45 votes (31.25%)
17" AluBook with other firmware (please post) 0 votes (0%)
I've got a non-Apple UJ-815! (please post) 2 votes (1.39%)
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll
PowerBook UJ-815 SuperDrive: What firmware do you have?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2003, 12:13 PM

You may have seen my Matshita DDCB (D0CB) firmware updater thread.

I'm interested in what Matshita UJ-815 SuperDrive firmwares you guys are running. You can find out from the Apple System Profiler:

Apple Menu --> About this Mac --> More Info...

It's under: Devices and Volumes --> CD-RW/DVD-R

It seems that most of the early TiBooks shipped with DOC4 and most of the 12" AluBooks shipped with D0CB. I don't know what the difference is. If you have a different firmware please post.

It is possible that some of the burning problems people have mentioned with the TiBooks could be related to the firmware. I don't hear of as many reports of burning problems from 12" AluBook owners, but I haven't followed it closely. If true, one wonders if upgrading from D0C4 in the TiBook to D0CB would solve some of those issues (although I wouldn't recommend it since the TiBooks are still under warranty, and I haven't had those problems with my D0C4 firmware).
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 15, 2003 at 12:36 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2003, 07:06 PM

Hmmm... 12 votes so far, and ALL the 12" AluBooks shipped with D0CB and ALL the 15" TiBooks shipped with D0C4.

I'm a bit surprised that the more recent TiBooks haven't shipped with D0CB as well, or at least a newer firmware than D0C4.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Hmmm... 12 votes so far, and ALL the 12" AluBooks shipped with D0CB and ALL the 15" TiBooks shipped with D0C4.

I'm a bit surprised that the more recent TiBooks haven't shipped with D0CB as well, or at least a newer firmware than D0C4.
How recent?? you mean after 2002? mine was build last week of 2002 and it's D0C4.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
How recent?? you mean after 2002? mine was build last week of 2002 and it's D0C4.
I was thinking more along the lines of TiBooks purchased directly from Apple in say late February, after people had already started getting their 12" AluBooks.

I'd imagine that when the 2002 TiBooks were built, the D0CB firmware wasn't being used yet.

I wonder what's the difference in firmwares. Media compatibility?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 10:39 AM

Hmmm... 20 votes and so far all still just one firmware each for the 12" and 15".

And no 17" votes yet either...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 03:51 PM

Hmmm.... According to this post, it's DWDB for the 17".

Too bad I can't modify my own poll. Only moderators are allowed to do that.

I guess it will have to be "other" for the 17-inchers.

spdemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 05:30 PM

I have a 1ghz TI I bought around a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving that has the following DVD-R stats:

Revision: D0CB
ID: DVD-R UJ-815
Vendor: MATSHITA

My poll entry did not work for some wierd reason.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2003, 01:25 AM

Eug: I updated the poll mildly. Hope that was what you intended- please email if you want other changes?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

kmingis
Mar 19, 2003, 02:01 AM

Hi eug...finally got in to the poll. Lot of traffic here tonight. Do you know what the different firmware versions mean? Just wondering.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2003, 08:51 AM

Eug: I updated the poll mildly. Hope that was what you intended- please email if you want other changes?
Cool thx. That's exactly what I wanted to do.

Hi eug...finally got in to the poll. Lot of traffic here tonight. Do you know what the different firmware versions mean? Just wondering.
THx. No, actually I don't. I'm just interested in what firmwares are available.

Interestingly though, one guy with a D0C4 firmware with his TiBook was having a lot of problems with CD-R and DVD-R. He updated his TiBook to the 12" AluBook's D0CB and now it works fine for CD-R (but still doesn't work reliably for DVD-R).

This makes me wonder if these firmwares are for media and/or compatibility enhancements. It doesn't seem that the feature set is any different. AFAIK, none of these firmwares support DVD-RW write or DVD-RAM read/write, and none of these support 2X DVD-R burning. Then again, I don't know if any 17" owner has tested these yet however.

The only presumed firmware that would support all of these would be the one with the MCETech upgrade, but that's a non-Apple (presumably original Matshita) firmware, and so far it's not out yet.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2003, 11:03 AM

P.S. I installed D0CB on my D0C4 TiBook. Both work fine, and I don't notice any difference. No change in features, and all programs work the same with the firmwares.

Good CD-R and DVD-R media continue to work well like they did before. El cheapo DVD-R media was always unreliable for me on D0C4 however. Haven't really tested it much with D0CB yet though, but I hear cheap DVD-R are still unreliable for the 12" AluBook owners. So that would suggest no change for DVD-R compatibility. I wonder if DWDB would be any better. (It seems as though that those with the desktop Pioneer A04 burners do better with el cheapo DVD-R than those with the UJ-815.)

DVD-RW reading on D0C4 was OK, but not the always the most reliable. I have not yet had a chance to vigorously test this on D0CB though. (The last DVD-RW I burned on my other DVD burner works fine on both D0C4 and D0CB.)
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 19, 2003 at 11:08 AM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2003, 11:07 AM

Actually, I need to try burning a dvd-r with this 12" to see if it's good or not-

I only have memorex and apple media here right now, although I think I'll buy some khypermedia soon.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2003, 12:50 PM

Things just got a little more interesting...

According to Karim, his 17" with the DWDB firmware does 16X CD-R burning.

I know for a fact that both D0C4 and D0CB support only 8X CD-R burning.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 01:17 AM

I just burned a 597 MB CD of Data on my 17" PB using Roxio Toast 5.2 at 16X and it took 4:15 to make. My drive is a Matshita DVD-R UJ-815 using DWDB

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 04:52 AM

Is there any way to get this firmware somewhere?
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 08:29 AM

So Eug, did you try or are you going to try to put the DWCB firmware on the Tibook?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 08:33 AM

If someone could get it for him I think he probably would, but until we can lay our hands on the firmware itself (as far as I know there's no way to slurp it back off the drives in the 17" machines people have just received) we're unable to put this on any of the other drives out there.

It'd be great if we could find it somewhere. Someone who received an incompletely setup 17" machine might be able to help.

Originally posted by Patcarla:
So Eug, did you try or are you going to try to put the DWCB firmware on the Tibook?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 08:35 AM

Before people get confused, I think the firmware version you mean Patcarla is DWDB.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
Before people get confused, I think the firmware version you mean Patcarla is DWDB.
Yep..typo..sorry..

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 11:33 AM

Cool, the mods have stickified this.

If someone could get it for him I think he probably would, but until we can lay our hands on the firmware itself (as far as I know there's no way to slurp it back off the drives in the 17" machines people have just received) we're unable to put this on any of the other drives out there.

It'd be great if we could find it somewhere. Someone who received an incompletely setup 17" machine might be able to help.
Yep. Patcarla the only reason I was able to update to D0CB from D0C4 is because a kind soul sent me the updater. ivi checked the files, determined it was OK, and then tried it. Then I did too. Worked fine for both of us.

If somebody gets a hold of the DWDB updater, pm me.

I have a 1ghz TI I bought around a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving that has the following DVD-R stats:

Revision: D0CB
ID: DVD-R UJ-815
Vendor: MATSHITA
Cool! That means that if I bring my TiBook in for fixing some time down the road, they aren't going to freak out about my D0CB SuperDrive firmware in a TiBook.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 20, 2003 at 11:46 AM. )

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 11:40 AM

Cool, the mods have stickified this.
Yep..That good!
Yep. Patcarla the only reason I was able to update to D0CB from D0C4 is because a kind soul sent me the updater. ivi checked the files, determined it was OK, and then tried it. Then I did too. Worked fine for both of us.
OK. Hopefully another kind soul will send the DWDB firmware..That would beat great if these would work on a Ti.. I do a lot of CD burning..

Kameel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 04:32 PM

I guess MCE has changed the specifications for their powerbook superdrive upgrade:
: MCE

no more dvd-rw writing I guess...:confused
without the mac users there would be
no macs....

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

I would imagine that this is because Apple will lean heavily on them if they offer anything other than what Apple offer themselves.

There should be nothing that will stop MCE selling the OEM version with the DVD-RAM/RW etc. to other manufacturers. The fact that they're selling that particular one as an upgrade to a Powerbook puts them under Apple's thumb.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2003, 06:47 PM

no, it doesn't.

As long as Apple doesn't have to service or support a machine with that upgrade performed, Apple can't say a blessed thing about it.

Performing such an upgrade automatically means the machine is no longer covered by warranty, and so Apple washes their hands of it at that point.

MCE could have continued selling these drives with all possible capabilities enabled. Why they chose to modify the specifications now is a mystery to me, but it has nothing to do with "being under Apple's thumb."

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
MCE could have continued selling these drives with all possible capabilities enabled. Why they chose to modify the specifications now is a mystery to me, but it has nothing to do with "being under Apple's thumb."
Yeah, I wonder why.

Possibilities and comments:

1) Maybe DVD-RW and DVD-RAM are unreliable, so they got rid of it.
Well, I dunno, but the first DVD-RW I tried was a bit flaky in the UJ-815. It was a expensive Pioneer brand DVD-RW, and burned on a Panasonic drive. OTOH, the second time I burned the same disc (with the same content and the same drive) it worked fine. I'll have to test some more.
I can't test DVD-RAM reliability with the UJ-815 obviously since the Apple firmware doesn't support DVD-RAM, but I'd be surprised if Panasonic made this drive with flaky DVD-RAM support.DVD-RAM is Panasonic's baby and they've built DVD-RAM into their camcorders, DVD players, desktop drives, and now laptop drives. Furthermore, if it works in a camcorder, it should be able to work in a laptop.

2) Maybe 2X DVD-R is unreliable so they got rid of it.
Again, no way of testing.

3) Maybe 16X CD-R is unreliable so they got rid of it.
Well, it works fine in the 17" PowerBooks apparently.

4) Maybe the Panasonic firmware doesn't work properly OS X's Finder and DiskCopy.
My LF-D521 DVD-Multi burner works fine with DVD-RAM in OS X, but neither the Finder nor iTunes nor Disk Copy work with it, probably because it's not a recognized drive. Toast works fine though. However, if the Pansonic firmware in the UJ-815 didn't work with these apps in OS X, presumably the one that did work would have to be the Apple firmware. I'm not sure Apple would be keen on selling access to that firmware to MCE.

All conjecture of course, but I wonder what's going on. This is the second time MCE has changed the specs.

kuzzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 10:35 PM

Too bad about the latest spec change from MCE - didn't think further deletions were coming after the initial change not too long ago. Anyway, I do look forward to further confirmation of 16X CD-R in the 17 inch PB with DWDB firmware. That would be a nice upgrade (potential warranty voiding notwithstanding) for my TiBook if that firmware somehow becomes available.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 03:37 AM

I didn't follow it closely, but I thought that this was part of the reason that there was such a problem with people buying eMacs (or whatever) with after-market Superdrives installed. Weren't whoever it was who was offering these machines providing their own warranty in place of Apple's because of this sort of thing? Apple lent on them to stop selling them regardless.

Maybe I've got something confused, but wouldn't it annoy Apple if all of a sudden it became possible to buy a combo Ti and put a better spec'ed Superdrive (even if only in firmware) in it than Apple provide themselves? ($449 notwithstanding )

Hmmm, I don't know. Just trying to think of some reasons.

Of course it might all have to do with a bit too much optimism on the part of Matshita regarding features before the drive went into more extensive testing...

Ben

no, it doesn't.

As long as Apple doesn't have to service or support a machine with that upgrade performed, Apple can't say a blessed thing about it.

Performing such an upgrade automatically means the machine is no longer covered by warranty, and so Apple washes their hands of it at that point.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 04:37 AM

Hmmmm. My Ti SD arrived 4 days ago, its firmware is D0C4. Strange that another newish Ti (few months old) ships with a newer firmware than my brand new one (no it wasn't sitting on the shelves or anything - direct order to apple, had an assembly time, shipped from their assembly plant etc).

Apple claims the 17" can only do 8x CD-R - if it can do 16x, perhaps someone with a 17" can insert a DVD-R, load up toast, and check what speeds toast lets you burn at (add the files, hit burn, it will list speeds etc and provide you with the final OK - just cancel not to burn). If 2x DVD-R is offered, the 17"'s SD sounds like it was before apple crippled it (remember their initial specs claiming 16x CD-R, 2x DVD-R, 1x DVD-RW)

Interesting

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 04:44 AM

My firmware is DWDB.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 10:36 AM

To the person who has the non-Apple UJ815 - which version of the firmware does it have?

I assume it isn't any of the other ones we've seen before.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
I didn't follow it closely, but I thought that this was part of the reason that there was such a problem with people buying eMacs (or whatever) with after-market Superdrives installed. Weren't whoever it was who was offering these machines providing their own warranty in place of Apple's because of this sort of thing? Apple lent on them to stop selling them regardless.

Maybe I've got something confused, but wouldn't it annoy Apple if all of a sudden it became possible to buy a combo Ti and put a better spec'ed Superdrive (even if only in firmware) in it than Apple provide themselves? ($449 notwithstanding )

Ben
The story on the eMac superdrives was a different matter-

The problem there was that the reseller doing it was an Apple Authorised Service Provider and an Authorised Apple Reseller.

So Apple had leverage over them by threatening to pull those authorisations if they didn't stop selling upgraded eMacs.

MCE has no such authorisation from Apple, so Apple has no such leverage.

(English language commentary: In American English, the past tense of lean is leaned. The past tense of loan is loaned or lent. Never have I known the past tense of lean to be lent.)

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 12:54 PM

Ahhhh, interesting. Well that makes that one clearer for me. It's more of a bummer than I thought regarding specs for the drive.

About lean/leaned/lent:

You're right about American English with lean/leaned.

I pride myself on being anal about writing correctly, but in that last post my spelling was wrong (though read out loud it would have sounded correct ).

People in the UK (and in New Zealand where I'm from) would pronounce the "past tense of 'lean'" so that here:

"Apple lent me a nice Powerbook while mine was being fixed" (not true)

...it would sound exactly the same as here:

"Apple leant on MCE for selling much better DVD burners than they had put in their own Powerbooks."

http://www.bartleby.com/68/94/3594.html

Thank you for pointing it out. I will, however, correct it to be English English instead of American English

I've learnt something new today!

The story on the eMac superdrives was a different matter-

The problem there was that the reseller doing it was an Apple Authorised Service Provider and an Authorised Apple Reseller.

So Apple had leverage over them by threatening to pull those authorisations if they didn't stop selling upgraded eMacs.

MCE has no such authorisation from Apple, so Apple has no such leverage.

(English language commentary: In American English, the past tense of lean is leaned. The past tense of loan is loaned or lent. Never have I known the past tense of lean to be lent.)

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2003, 02:40 PM

I've learnt something new today!
Same here. I didn't know "learnt" was a word, but yep, it in fact is a proper English word. I have always used "learned", however.

BTW, we Canadians mix spellings from American English and British English too freely, often in the same sentence. It drives English teachers around here crazy.

Back on topic:

Who has the non-Apple UJ-815?Is it on a PowerBook? So far I haven't seen any PC laptops with the UJ-815 slot load drive. I hear the UJ-810 (tray load, same specs) has been spotted however, on the PC side.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2003, 04:39 PM

The past tense of loan is loaned or lent.
<nitpick>
No. "Lent" is the past tense of "lend".
</nitpick>

Carry on.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2003, 11:49 AM

D0CB firmware now posted at The Firmware Page. Too bad they've linked to my web space though - eats up space. I was hoping they'd host it somewhere else. Oh well, I'll leave it there for a few weeks for now and then decide what to do with it.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2003, 12:03 AM

D0CB firmware now posted at The Firmware Page. Too bad they've linked to my web space though - eats up space. I was hoping they'd host it somewhere else. Oh well, I'll leave it there for a few weeks for now and then decide what to do with it.
Eug - the d/l link on that page says "DCOB," and the actual firmware d/l says "DDCB" - are these the same as "DOCB" which you refer to?

Thx for your research into this. Let's hope we can enhance our Gigabook's DVD-burning a bit!

iBorg

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
Eug - the d/l link on that page says "DCOB," and the actual firmware d/l says "DDCB" - are these the same as "DOCB" which you refer to?

Thx for your research into this. Let's hope we can enhance our Gigabook's DVD-burning a bit!

iBorg
It's a mistake there on the page. It should be D0CB (not DOCB, DCOB, or DDCB).

The updater actually says DDCB but when you look inside the package it has a D0CB firmware. Furthermore, when you flash it gives D0CB.

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 05:54 PM

It's a mistake there on the page. It should be D0CB (not DOCB, DCOB, or DDCB).

The updater actually says DDCB but when you look inside the package it has a D0CB firmware. Furthermore, when you flash it gives D0CB.
What's my benefit going D0CB from DWDB? Thanks.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2003, 11:38 AM

Eug,

My Tibook is having all sorts of things replaced at the moment (DVD-R assembly included - sounds like it was faulty all that time). It'll be interesting to see if it comes back with the same firmware.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2003, 04:00 PM

For those of you with uncommon firmwares, please post what you have.

Originally posted by tritonus:
What's my benefit going D0CB from DWDB? Thanks.
Faster CD-R write speed, if initial tests are representative. Dunno what other tweaks there are.

By the way, I found this on another site:

Retrieved using xcdroast (X11):

cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: 'IODVDServices'
devname: 'IODVDServices'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (csapuntz-scsi-mac-iokit.c-1.4 '@(#)scsi-mac-iokit.c 1.4 02/10/19 Copyright 1997,2001 J. Schilling').
Cdrecord 2.0 (powerpc-apple-macosx6.3) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 J�rg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'MATSHITA'
Identifikation : 'DVD-R UJ-815 '
Revision : 'D0C4'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:

Does read CD-R media
Does write CD-R media
Does read CD-RW media
Does write CD-RW media
Does read DVD-ROM media
Does read DVD-R media
Does write DVD-R media
Does not read DVD-RAM media
Does not write DVD-RAM media

Does support test writing

Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
Does read digital audio blocks
Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads accurately
Does support Buffer-Underrun-Free recording
Does read multi-session CDs
Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
Does read CD bar code
Does not read R-W subcode information
Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
Does return CD media catalog number
Does return CD ISRC information
Does support C2 error pointers
Does deliver composite A/V data

Does play audio CDs
Number of volume control levels: 256
Does support individual volume control setting for each channel
Does support independent mute setting for each channel
Does not support digital output on port 1
Does not support digital output on port 2

Loading mechanism type: tray
Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
Does allow media to be locked in the drive via PREVENT/ALLOW command
Is currently in a media-locked state
Does not support changing side of disk
Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
Does not support Individual Disk Present feature

Maximum read speed: 2117 kB/s (CD 12x, DVD 1x)
Current read speed: 2117 kB/s (CD 12x, DVD 1x)
Maximum write speed: 706 kB/s (CD 4x, DVD 0x)
Current write speed: 706 kB/s (CD 4x, DVD 0x)
Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
Buffer size in KB: 2048
Copy management revision supported: 1
Number of supported write speeds: 1
Write speed # 0: 706 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 4x, DVD 0x)

Tibook 1 Ghz OSX 10.2.4

P.S. Has anyone made use of the MCE PB SuperDrive upgrade offer? Orders are now being taken.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2003, 12:05 AM

Hmmm... Some people are saying that the DWDB 17" firmware works (sometimes) with DVD-RW.

See this thread.

It seems it works with quickerased DVD-RW discs, and not virgin blanks. If true, this would explain why initial 17" DVD-RW reports said DVD-RW didn't work.

redmac1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 01:24 AM

Faster CD-R write speed, if initial tests are representative. Dunno what other tweaks there are.

Eug,
This changes the CD-R speed on the titanium SD PB? I have the DOC4 version and updater that was posted bumps it up to the same firmware as the 12 AI book (DOCB). The specs on the drive for the TIBook and the 12" AIBook are the same as far as I can tell. Is there a *different* updater to bring it up to DWDB?

As far as I can tell from Apples web site. ALL of the PB superdrives have the exact same specs. Unless I'm missing something.

I guess I am somewhat hesitant to apply the patch if there are no improvements. Especially since my Tibook is still under warranty.

Thanks,
Mike

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by redmac1:

Eug,
This changes the CD-R speed on the titanium SD PB? I have the DOC4 version and updater that was posted bumps it up to the same firmware as the 12 AI book (DOCB). The specs on the drive for the TIBook and the 12" AIBook are the same as far as I can tell. Is there a *different* updater to bring it up to DWDB?

As far as I can tell from Apples web site. ALL of the PB superdrives have the exact same specs. Unless I'm missing something.

I guess I am somewhat hesitant to apply the patch if there are no improvements. Especially since my Tibook is still under warranty.

Thanks,
Mike
Don't upgrade D0C4 to D0CB. There isn't much point AFAIK.

There is no available updater for DWDB. (I wish there were. Faster CD-R, and possible DVD-RW are enough for me to risk my TiBook again.)

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 02:38 PM

PB 15 Ti 1ghz SD

D0C4

hsvgoku
Apr 15, 2003, 09:58 AM

Mine is DOC4

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 11:02 PM

I know I'm hoping in way late on this, but my 17" PowerBook has DWDB.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 12:55 AM

DWDB here too.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2003, 09:18 AM

Got my TiSD back from Apple with the fixed (replaced) superdrive...and DOCB. So it's not entirely dictated by the model of machine, seemingly...

FWIW, it left here with DOC4.

JeffHarris
Apr 24, 2003, 08:19 PM

My 15" TiBook has a DOC4 drive.

Since it recently decided NOT to read or even mount DVDs, I'll be curious to see what Apple replaces it with!

Rational_User
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 08:54 PM

Drive has firmware DWDB / MMC-3

it cannot write to Fuji-DVD-RW or Intenso DVD-RW

It cannot read any DVD+R/+RW I have burned on a DRU-500A. Very disappointing. Hopefully there will be an updater with improved read/write abilities for the uj-815.

Forum Links
Forum Rules