Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Attention Macnn: iPod and Audio forum request!!!

Attention Macnn: iPod and Audio forum request!!!
fado
May 8, 2003, 01:44 PM

Hello,

Just became a member and decided to join after twenty years it seems and "zumbro" brought up an interesting point. Why isn't there a iPod forum or atleast now an Audio forum. I even hesitated last night about where the iPod forum was located... I just assumed there was one available.

I am sure there are plenty of others that are thinking the same thing.

fado

P.S.
If you guys are already doing it and the server hasn't yet been updated, more power to you.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 01:53 PM

it s ZUBRO but never mind! ;o*

Yo! It is indeed a need!

A need to follow up apple z life! ;o)

Demonhood
Administrator
May 8, 2003, 01:57 PM

iPod = Periphs

Audio = Digital A/V

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2003, 02:08 PM

Demonhood thanks for your ever so helpful response...

How about an "Apple Audio Forum" ?

This forum would have posts relating to the iPod, iTunes and the iTunes Music Store...

Is the iPod really JUST a peripheral?

And isn't the iPod really tied into iTunes as well as the music service?

Makes sense to group them all together.

M2

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
iPod = Periphs

Audio = Digital A/V

Quite dry.

Well I would say, wrong and wrong...

The iPod is present under "hardware" on the apple website and It would justify its presence in your "Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion".

I CAN NOT BE WRONG THERE or I am real drunk! ;o)

Yo!

Demonhood
Administrator
May 8, 2003, 03:56 PM

um, Peripherals IS under the hardware category.

we don't want to create too many forums because that can spread things too thin. i'll ask the other mods if they like the idea, but i think that itunes and the ipod can remain where they are for now.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 04:34 PM

there is a buzz with itunes and the ipod and the music store right now, but that will die down, there's no need to make another forum

slider
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 05:16 PM

Actually the iPod, iTunes and the Music Store have become a very intergrated group. I think the iPod deserved it's own forum a while back, but if not then, then certain now. I mean there are two iPod websites and both have multiple topic forums, I don't understand why the can't be a forum dedicated to Apple plunge into music. The only problem with calling it the Audio Forum is it might be somewhat ambiguous. I like iPod-iTunes-Music Store Forum, can't really miss that.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2003, 05:42 PM

the iPod is a peripheral therefore it lives in the Peripheral forum. Geez just because there is some iPod discussion people want a new forum.
we don't have time to stop for gas

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2003, 06:09 PM

Peter...

The idea is that the iPod is not just another peripheral...

And iTunes is not just another piece of software...

Also, where does the music store fit into this?
Do we consider it a part of iTunes?

What if I want to talk about a problem with downloading a song from the music store, and transfering it to my iPod?

Do i post it in the periph. forum?
Do I post it in the A/V forum?
Do I post it in the software forum?

Of course its up to the big wigs here to decide...maybe we should just wait and see if the discussion dies down?

Although maybe it will die down because its too confusing trying to figure out where to post?

M2

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by m2bored:
What if I want to talk about a problem with downloading a song from the music store, and transfering it to my iPod?

Do i post it in the periph. forum?
Do I post it in the A/V forum?
Do I post it in the software forum?
the ipod is just another peripheral, like any other company's MP3 player. don't let the advertising convince you that it isn't just a peripheral.
  • if you can't download it, put the topic in the software forum.
  • if you can't play it on your ipod, put it in the peripheral forum.
  • if it sounds funny, put it in the AV forum.

-r.

slider
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 07:28 PM

OK, there was a thread for this in the Peripheral Forum, were of coarse people interested would post and reply, and there was a link to this thread (which is how I found it) it was locked with no explanation. This is BS, if they were really interested in was the readers wanted it would be a sticky and a polling of the software and peripherals forum to gag interest in it. This makes more sense than some of the serious flops of forums I have seen come and go in this thread. These forums, at times, and be more for administrators and moderators. Oh well

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 09:42 AM

Demonhood thanks for your ever so helpful response...

How about an "Apple Audio Forum" ?

This forum would have posts relating to the iPod, iTunes and the iTunes Music Store...
Agreed.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 12, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
iPod = Periphs

Audio = Digital A/V

Come on 'hood. You gave those theming weirdos () their own forum. the periphs forum has a good number of iPod topic..probably enough to warrant an audio forum.

plus, like you said, if it doesn't work, you can just integrate it back with the periphs forum.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:

Come on 'hood. You gave those theming weirdos () their own forum. the periphs forum has a good number of iPod topic..probably enough to warrant an audio forum.

plus, like you said, if it doesn't work, you can just integrate it back with the periphs forum.
because GUI is all sorts of things, themes etc. Whereas iPod is very specific, and is a Peripheral...

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2003, 03:34 PM

because GUI is all sorts of things, themes etc. Whereas iPod is very specific, and is a Peripheral...
Not to beat the subject to death but....

That's why I suggested an Apple Audio Forum including posts relating to iTunes, the Music Store, AND the iPod...

M2

P.S. my last post in this topic...seriously.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2003, 05:09 PM

Not to beat the subject to death but....

That's why I suggested an Apple Audio Forum including posts relating to iTunes, the Music Store, AND the iPod...

M2

P.S. my last post in this topic...seriously.
Why can't iTunes go in the software forum, along with the music store as it is part of iTunes?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
Why can't iTunes go in the software forum, along with the music store as it is part of iTunes?
Why are you so against an iPod forum?

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2003, 09:20 PM

It should be, and is treated like any other Peripheral. If we made a new forum for every new peripheral from Apple, we would have a keyboard forum, a mouse forum etc etc.

iPod = Periphs

Audio = Digital A/V

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 12:38 PM

Steve,

With the release of the mini and the flood of ipod posts, would it be possible to take another look at the idea of creating an iPod forum?

Thanks,
Echo
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 03:52 PM

I don't see a flood. And if, there would be a reason for a separate printer forum first.

-

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:
I don't see a flood. And if, there would be a reason for a separate printer forum first.

-
Yeah, we need pages of nothing but Epson bad, Canon cool posts.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by echosphere:
Steve,

With the release of the mini and the flood of ipod posts, would it be possible to take another look at the idea of creating an iPod forum?

Thanks,
Echo
if you had a look at the software forum prior to the GUI forum being created, you would see a "flood" of posts about one subject. it was dominating the board. other users who didnt give a rip about themes and crap were annoyed.

the ipod is a peripheral. i mean hell. its almost the only thing that gives that forum any meaning at this point. prior to the ipod it didnt really get too much attention.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 7, 2004, 02:11 AM

I think it would be good if the moderators can tell us what is the policy of creating forums, in relation to the volume of the messages in the topic concerned.

I would like to point out that, there is a sub-forum created on War/Politics etc within the MacNN Lounge forum already, due to the amount of messages on those topics in the MacNN Lounge forum.
( Last edited by veryniceguy2002; Mar 7, 2004 at 02:48 AM. )

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 7, 2004, 02:41 PM

We don't make these decisions numerically. We just do it by ear.

A few points.

First of all, there's not enough discussion on the iPods to warrant an entire forum here, and secondly, there's not enough other discussion in peripherals to warrant splitting it up. It is fine as is; there's no real benefit that comes from splitting it up. We have a LOT of forums already and frankly we try to consolidate rather than split up when possible. If a new forum would really add something for a unique community of people, we consider it (for example, GUI Customization).

Also, you're making it seem like it's very confusing to figure out where to post these topics, but it simply is not. The iPod and iTunes work well together, but that doesn't mean you can't easily distinguish between the two. If you want to know which iPod you should buy or possible problems with iPods or whatever, post in the Peripherals forum. If you're having trouble with iTunes or want to know how other people organize their libraries or something, post in the Software forum. The iTunes Music Store is part of iTunes, and as such, is appropriate discussion for the Software forum.

HOWEVER, considering that there seems to be so much interest in this forum, we will at least have a discussion about it even though I'm not sure how much sense it makes. Please be patient.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 03:09 PM

Perhaps just add something about iPods in the description and everyone is a little happier.

-

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 01:03 PM

I want an iPod forum

this thing is more important to me than a "peripheral"

i can't help but think my question in the peripherals section only has 10 views becuase it's not concentrated and attracting iPod users

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 8, 2004, 02:10 PM

i've added a sentence about the iPod into the description for the periph forum.
we'll see if that has any impact.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 05:16 PM

For everyone else, there's Mastercard

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Why are you so against an iPod forum?
Why are you so for an iPod forum? I want an Apple Mouse Forum!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
Why are you so for an iPod forum? I want an Apple Mouse Forum!
yes. we can discuss why apple doesnt want to release a multibutton mouse until our heads explode.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
...until our heads explode.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 09:47 AM

I was on record as initially being against an iPod subsection. Recently, however, my opinion has changed.

Not only is Apple selling more iPods than computers these days, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, the peripherals area is like 90% iPod posts. Trying to find information about a printer or monitor ... well, I end up scrolling past what seems like tons of iPod threads.

Is there no way that a sub-forum could be set up for the iPod under the peripherals heading - sorta like how the Politics/War area is under the Lounge?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
I was on record as initially being against an iPod subsection. Recently, however, my opinion has changed.

Not only is Apple selling more iPods than computers these days, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, the peripherals area is like 90% iPod posts. Trying to find information about a printer or monitor ... well, I end up scrolling past what seems like tons of iPod threads.

Is there no way that a sub-forum could be set up for the iPod under the peripherals heading - sorta like how the Politics/War area is under the Lounge?
This weeks latest answer on this tiring request/subject.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Steve (Moderator):
Final answer. There is no reason to clutter the forum with yet another area.
Yeah, I know how to browse the forums myself... thanks, but I'm cool. And I'm sorry my "tiring request" has exhausted your mind. Maybe you should start taking vitamins, or exercise. Increase that endurance, or just skip the topic in the future.

As for the "Final " answer, I think it's the lamest explanation I've ever heard. It's an explanation born out of laziness. I doubt even a shred of thought process was utilized on the way to that sham of an explanation.

Any logical thinking effort would undoubtedly result with the conclusion that setting up an iPod subsection of the Peripherals forums, or even its own main forum, would actually reduce clutter.

It's a concept known to most of us as ORGANIZATION.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
It should be, and is treated like any other Peripheral. If we made a new forum for every new peripheral from Apple, we would have a keyboard forum, a mouse forum etc etc.

iPod = Periphs
Apple iPods outsell Apple computers. People line streets around the world for iPods. Demand is so high that delays are frequently experienced. The iPod and music stores account for 25% of Apple's overall brand value. Surely the iPod is not just any old mouse, keyboard, or printer in these respects.

I suggest you maybe read an article or two about the impact and populatiry of the iPod. Spend a moment looking through the peripherals lounge. You'll likely see the ever-growing plethora of iPod threads and topics.

Furthermore, nobody is suggesting or asking for a mouse forum, or for a keyboard forum. Yet another explanation that reeks of laziness.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Yeah, I know how to browse the forums myself...
Really? In that case, you should have seen this before and stopped yourself from ranting/whining in the first place...

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 05:59 PM

-Apple now has it's own seperate iPod Store
-The iPod is more than just digital music now. iPod Photo
-There are now more than 10 iPod configurations available to the consumer and growing...
-The iPod is more than just any "Peripheral"
-iTunes & iPod appears to be what Apple is all about these days...

I'm sure there are many more reasons why it makes sense to create an iPod forum. Now more than ever, it seems to be the right time for someone to take the initiative.

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Oct 27, 2004 at 12:09 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules