MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Tech News (http://forums.macnn.com/tech-news/)
-   -   Review: Adonit Jot Touch pressure-sensitive stylus (http://forums.macnn.com/113/tech-news/491706/review-adonit-jot-touch-pressure-sensitive/)

 
NewsPoster Aug 26, 2012 04:37 PM
Review: Adonit Jot Touch pressure-sensitive stylus
In the last year or so styluses seem to have gone from an afterthought for iPad owners to highly desirable, if still not quite essential. Some of it probably has to do with the growing number of illustration and notetaking apps, but I'll bet that the third-gen iPad's Retina display is a factor as well -- suddenly, art and writing looks good enough that precision matters. Whatever the cause, precision is the raison d'etre for the Adonit Jot series of styluses. The Jot Touch goes yet a step further than the rest, using Bluetooth to transmit pressure data and shortcut commands to apps. <a href="http://macnn.com/rd/266031==http://www.macnn.com/reviews/adonit-jot-touch-pressure-sensitive-stylus.html" rel='nofollow'>We'll test</a>, though, if the product is genuinely handy or just a gimmick.
<br><br><br>
 
Sabon Aug 27, 2012 08:42 AM
For ***most*** people a stylus is a waste of plastic or whatever it is made of. Only a few types of programs gain anything at all from a stylus. I would equate it to putting a tow hitch on every vehicle sold. Only a small amount of people actually tow anything with their vehicle so for most people it would be something added that they never use.

Having said that. If you are a artist that paints/draws that kind of thing, or you need to write your signature more than once, a stylus would definitely be desirable.
 
blahblahbber Aug 27, 2012 01:37 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Sabon (Post 4186517)
For ***most*** people a stylus is a waste of plastic or whatever it is made of. Only a few types of programs gain anything at all from a stylus. I would equate it to putting a tow hitch on every vehicle sold. Only a small amount of people actually tow anything with their vehicle so for most people it would be something added that they never use.
Having said that. If you are a artist that paints/draws that kind of thing, or you need to write your signature more than once, a stylus would definitely be desirable.
I wonder if the 10 million Galaxy Notes sold have anything to do with this. Hmmmm Things that make you go Hmmmmmm..... That sure is a lot of potential doodlers, artists, signers, etc...... look for the unboxing event by Samsung in Germany on August 29th...
 
Sabon Aug 27, 2012 03:10 PM
I'll tell you what. Do a poll six months (or even two weeks) after they get their device and see how many people haven't lost their stylus and really don't care.
 
Sabon Aug 27, 2012 03:11 PM
That should be "have lost" not "haven't lost".
 
blahblahbber Aug 27, 2012 10:25 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Sabon (Post 4186603)
I'll tell you what. Do a poll six months (or even two weeks) after they get their device and see how many people haven't lost their stylus and really don't care.
I am not saying they care or don't care, I am saying that there will be more use out of these niche products due to the sales.... which in turn means increasingly useful apps, and then so more demand and now you have an emerging ecosystem just for these little tag-a-long multi-purpose, cross-platform compatible stylus with built-in pens. nice ehhh?
 
Sabon Aug 28, 2012 12:59 PM
Microsoft thought that was true for over ten years. Get how far that got stylus apps. They are only used in very few select jobs and the rest of the people either lost by accident or on purpose, those styluses.
 
blahblahbber Aug 28, 2012 01:33 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Sabon (Post 4186906)
Microsoft thought that was true for over ten years. Get how far that got stylus apps. They are only used in very few select jobs and the rest of the people either lost by accident or on purpose, those styluses.
You can't expect Microsoft to succeed in everything or anything. Recent implementation of technologies have changed the landscape. Remember the Apple NEWTON?... Takes you back even further than 10yrs; Timing is everything, the phablet is now.... and touchscreens are around the corner for desktops in the mac line... the iPhone iOS and Mac OSX will eventually converge in usability to bring a unison experience across all platforms. OSX pours out with clues.
 
Sabon Aug 30, 2012 11:46 AM
Look above and check to see if I said they were ever going to succeed at everything. Put words in your own mouth (fingers?), not mine.

It's plainly clear that for most people a style is worthless.
 
blahblahbber Sep 2, 2012 11:15 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Sabon (Post 4187441)
Look above and check to see if I said they were ever going to succeed at everything. Put words in your own mouth (fingers?), not mine.
It's plainly clear that for most people a style is worthless.
Not making much sense here. YOU need to read your response again. Moving on....
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2