MacNN Forums (
-   Tech News (
-   -   Charity auction for Tim Cook meeting hit with fake bid (

NewsPoster May 1, 2013 12:11 AM
Charity auction for Tim Cook meeting hit with fake bid
A "coffee" with Apple CEO Tim Cook, an offer <a href="" rel='nofollow'>being bid on</a> for charity fundraising, has been hit with credit card fraud. A previous high bid of $605,000 was retracted after it was discovered to have been placed using a credit card that turned out to be stolen. The site, Charitybuzz, said the issue came to their attention immediately was swiftly retracted, dropping the high bid back to $600,000. The Cook meeting is by far the highest-bid item in the auction.<br />
<br />
The money for the meeting with Cook, which is said to take place at Apple's Cupertino headquarters, will benefit <a href="" rel='nofollow'>Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights</a>. Though it closes in just over two weeks, bidding on the meeting with Cook has climbed fast and furiously -- flying past an initial estimate of a value of $50,000 in a day and rising rapidly late last week to <a href="" rel='nofollow'>top $580,000</a>.<br />
<br />
By comparison, the second-highest item has only attracted a high bid of $7,500 (a tour of SpaceX Center with founder Elon Musk). Other auction packages are still available, according to <em>ABC News</em>, including a training camp with NFL star Peyton Manning, and an opportunity to be in a movie scene with <em>Thor</em> star Chris Hemsworth in a film directed by Michael Mann.
daqman May 1, 2013 12:24 PM
I think I'm more impressed by the fact that people have credit cards with $600k+ credit limits and use them online!
Oneota May 2, 2013 02:47 PM
daqman: Presumably the credit card is just used to verify the identity of the person placing the bid - I'm sure actual payment will be done via wire transfer or some other means.