MacNN Forums (
-   Tech News (
-   -   Faulty Samsung Galaxy S III battery burns phone, mattress cover (

NewsPoster May 28, 2013 04:20 AM
Faulty Samsung Galaxy S III battery burns phone, mattress cover
A Samsung Galaxy S III suffered a potentially hazardous fault yesterday, according to a <a href="" rel='nofollow'>user</a> of Reddit. <a href="" rel='nofollow'>Photos</a> on the social news site appears to show a phone that started to smoke and an <a href="" rel='nofollow'>inflated</a> battery, with damage ranging from melted and burned plastic on the smartphone itself, a small burn on the poster's finger, and a hole in their foam pillow mattress cover caused through the excessive heat. <br />
<br />
The post that accompanied the images, found <a href="" rel='nofollow'>by</a> <em>New Launches</em>, states that the fault occurred about one hour after the phone was plugged in for charging. A "loud noise and a weird squeaking sound" came from the phone, which was resting on the bed next to the user, waking them up. A glass of water was thrown on top of the smartphone in an attempt to extinguish it, but it did not stop the hot plastic from the melting casing from giving the user a small burn. <br />
<br />
According to comments that follow the post, the phone was a stock device with no after-market modifications or accessories. While phone owner vizionx1208 has not been seriously injured during the event, they are looking for Samsung to replace the phone and the mattress cover ruined during the incident. <br />
<br />
There have been earlier incidents where a Samsung smartphone has suffered some form of electrical fault. Back in February, a man in <a href="" rel='nofollow' target="_self" title="">South Korea</a> reportedly suffered second-degree burns to his right thigh, after the Galaxy Note he stored in his pocket ruptured and caught fire. An incident in June <a href="" rel='nofollow'>last year</a> saw an Irish Galaxy S III owner claim his phone generated sparks and a white flame, as well as an explosion, but it was later found to be due to the owner putting the smartphone into a microwave in order to dry it.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2