PDA

View Full Version : Epson driver hacks...

Millennium
Dec 13, 2001, 12:44 PM
I remember seeing a page out there that explained how to hack Epson printer drivers, to get support for the printers that they're holding back for no good reason whatsoever. Only problem is, it seems to have dropped off the face of the Net, and I can't find it again. Even Google isn't turning up anything.

Anyone else remember this page, by any chance?

xdck
Dec 13, 2001, 04:58 PM
epson solutions (http://www.xdck.com/ss2500.html)

if it's not online, please email - I have some views to xchange with my internet provider

DZinfo
Dec 13, 2001, 10:19 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for the info I have a Epson Photo Stylus 1200 that I have been trying to make work in OS X. I'm not a programmer and never worked with HexEdit or BBEdit before. If you can give me any additional info or lead me to a site that has a step by step list it would be much appreciated. This is a great printer , has amazing color, but I just don't want to fork out another 500 bucks for another printer to work in OS X.

Thanks Again

mrchin
Dec 14, 2001, 03:12 AM
OK, I did this Epson Solutions Hack on my Photo 1200. I used both a 1270 and 1280 driver plugin. I edited, and deleted and moved everything properly within the packages of the EPSON Printers Library files.

The good: The printer did finally show up as supported and either the 1270 or 80. It just won't print. I tried the different settings and using 1440 dpi or 360. Anything. But after a job spools, I hear the printer hesitate then Epson Queue comes up with a Communication error with the printer. Not working! I can go through every step of setup. But the printing and even checking any diagnostics or ink levels gives me this same error. What's gotta be corrected to get this to work?????

Help!

Dec 14, 2001, 04:00 AM
i followed the directions on the page listed for my 1200, and it works - at 1440 DPI (as the page mentions in the red text).

just install the 1270 driver, copy the driver file to the desktop or home folder and change the three instances listed on the page from 1270 to 1200 and put it back in the macos folder it came from.

you might want to reboot...

while i'm glad it works (a bit) undex x, it proves to me that they could release a driver (support the usb port if not serial or parallel under x, please) and makes me 'miffed' that they don't, and won't comment on the topic when called on the phone. a little to apple-like, no?

KidRed
Dec 14, 2001, 04:09 AM
That's why I said screw Epson and bought a $149 awesome HP 940c!! It's sooooooo quiet. Epsons are loud harley davidsons and this HP is barely heard.

JeremyS
Dec 14, 2001, 05:10 AM
So am I dreaming trying to get my Epson Stylus COLOR 600 to work?

Radman
Dec 14, 2001, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>That's why I said screw Epson and bought a $149 awesome HP 940c!! It's sooooooo quiet. Epsons are loud harley davidsons and this HP is barely heard.</STRONG>

How's the print quality on the HP? I was very pleased with the quality on my Epson 750, although it was noiser than I would have liked.

BTW, I did try the printer hack on a 760 driver and got the 750 to print, but only at 1440 DPI (very slow) and in economy mode. This suggests that it wouldn't be that difficult for Epson to produce a working driver.

Millennium
Dec 14, 2001, 01:14 PM
Yeah; this disturbs me.

I've never seen better print quality out of an inkjet than what Epson's Photo line provides. That's why I bought a Photo 750. But even though that may be true, I refuse to be treated like a second-class citizen concerning a product (printer drivers) they they give out for free anyways.

I'm trying to hack an Epson Photo driver, to try and get better print quality out of my 750 than the super-slow 1440 Economy mode. So far, no success. I'll keep people posted, though, just in case I have some kind of success.

DZinfo
Dec 14, 2001, 05:45 PM
Millennium,

Could you let me know about your progress? Do I use BBEdit to get the job done? Do I have to change the name of all the files from the 1270 driver download, also do I need to open up each one of these files through BB or HexEdit. Once the files are changed internally do you change the file name as well? 1270 driver now becomes 1200 driver? I just downloaded these (BBEdit, HexEdit) apps never used them before does one do a better or different job from the other?

Thanks in advance.

Also I have to agree I've have not seen a better Photo print. The 6 color printers are amazing, I have had many people in the Graphic/Photo industry ask me what kind of print my portfolio is made from they can't believe it's from a $500 printer.

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>Yeah; this disturbs me.

I've never seen better print quality out of an inkjet than what Epson's Photo line provides. That's why I bought a Photo 750. But even though that may be true, I refuse to be treated like a second-class citizen concerning a product (printer drivers) they they give out for free anyways.

I'm trying to hack an Epson Photo driver, to try and get better print quality out of my 750 than the super-slow 1440 Economy mode. So far, no success. I'll keep people posted, though, just in case I have some kind of success.</STRONG>

barney ntd
Dec 14, 2001, 06:26 PM
I got my 1200 to work! (1440dpi only)

Note:

* You don't need to change any of the filenames
* You only need to change THREE instances of the printer name
(leave the rest alone, as explained in http://www.xdck.com/ss2500.html)
* I had the Communication Error problem, but I got rid of it by
connecting the printer directly to one of the computer's USB ports,
instead of via a hub.

Barney.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: barney ntd ]

mrchin
Dec 17, 2001, 10:24 AM
Barney, I've got my 1200 connected directly into the back as well. I only changed those three instances. I've restarted since. I've tried both the 1270 and 1280.plugin drivers. Hmm, wonder what it could be. Would you be able to send (idisk or email) me a copy of your driver. Maybe if I replace mine, it'll work.....

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: mrchin ]