PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock & indexing entire drive

wallinbl
Dec 13, 2001, 07:03 PM
Why is it that I can't just have Sherlock index the entire HD? I don't want to add folders to index, I want the entire drive indexed.

Is there something I'm missing?

Adam Betts
Dec 13, 2001, 07:13 PM
No, you aren't missing anything.

There is no hard drive indexing in Sherlock X as of OS X 10.1.1

Perhaps in 10.2?

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 14, 2001, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>No, you aren't missing anything.

Perhaps in 10.2?</STRONG>

From my understanding it's a security issue to prevent users from seeing/accessing the contents of other users' accounts.

m2bored
Dec 14, 2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>No, you aren't missing anything.

Perhaps in 10.2?</STRONG>

There is hard drive indexing just not of other users items...

I indexed my entire 60GB firewire harddrive yesterday.
It took a while......

M2

JMII
Jan 10, 2002, 10:16 PM
It refuses to index networked/shared HDs too :(

In fact, on my network it refuses to SEARCH any of the shared WinNT volumes I've got mounted :mad: it spits out some silly "Can't search because drive is not indexed" message. But like I said above, it will not let me index the drives either :rolleyes: Anyone else seen this bug?

BTW I'm running 10.0 only right now and yes these same WinNT volumes are fine... I can drag-n-drop (copy) to and from them with no problems.

- John

Agent69
Jan 10, 2002, 10:53 PM
From what I have seen, Sherlock can't index on entire hard drive for security reasons, and I think that I can see why. For example, on a Mac with multiple users, you might not want someone to be able to index the contents of another person's home folder.

What I really don't understand is why Sherlock is configured by default to index the entire drive if it can't for security reasons? To me, indexing just the home folder would be a better default setting.

Agent60 :)

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Agent69 ]

Agent69
Jan 10, 2002, 10:54 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Agent69 ]

JMII
Jan 11, 2002, 01:24 PM
Thanks :) I understand the deal with local drives (and user folders) BUT...

I am talking about a SHARED Windows volume. I can access (read/write) all the files on the volume just fine but Sherlock will NOT search OR index it :(