PDA

View Full Version : Rev A. ibook battery life in 10.1

rogerkylin
Dec 14, 2001, 09:07 AM
I tried posting this in the ibook forum, but there were no takers..

How long are Rev A. (or any clamshell) ibook batteries running off a single charge under heavy use in 10.1?

boma
Dec 14, 2001, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by rogerkylin:
<STRONG>I tried posting this in the ibook forum, but there were no takers..

How long are Rev A. (or any clamshell) ibook batteries running off a single charge under heavy use in 10.1?</STRONG>

Not long at all. With maximum brightness and an inserted cd the battery sometimes don't last an hour. At maximum I get 2.5 to 3 hours without cd and a dark screen. In os 9 can get up to 5 hours.

Michael T. Doyle
Dec 16, 2001, 01:24 AM
I concur. Battery time in OS X is only at most 60% of what you'd get under OS 9. This makes X, for now, useless for mobile users.

ARENA
Dec 16, 2001, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Michael T. Doyle:
<STRONG>I concur. Battery time in OS X is only at most 60% of what you'd get under OS 9. This makes X, for now, useless for mobile users.</STRONG>

Not true.
Useless for mobile users?? You're crazy man. Mac OS X is much better for mobile users that Mac OS 9 (well, actually it is better in every single aspect). For instance, networking and locations works perfectly in Mac OS X. In 9 it was a paint to move the PowerBook from one place to another with different network settings.
Another thing, the instant wake up is great.

The battery indicator is great, the brightness and colors in the screen are by far better than in 9, and like those things. I find Mac OS X to be a much more "Mobile-ready" OS that Mac OS 9.

And about the battery life thing, i get about the same time in X than i got in 9 with my Pismo.

...Useless for mobile users..yeah right. :rolleyes:

The Evener
Dec 16, 2001, 02:37 AM
Arena,

"Useless" may have been too harsh on the surface, but I think the reference was predicated on the downgrade in battery performance from OS 9 to OS X. With my Rev. A iBook running at full steam, I only get about an hour, too. Of course, my battery isn't brand-spankin' new, so maybe the cell itself is responsible beyond OS X power management.

I'm probably going to buy a second battery just to have as a swap back-up. Fortunately, in most places where I mobile compute (ie. local government archive) they provide outlets so I can plug the system in. However, there's always the chance I'll be in a place that doesn't provide plugs, hence the second battery.

Michael T. Doyle
Dec 17, 2001, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>

Not true.
Useless for mobile users?? You're crazy man. Mac OS X is much better for mobile users that Mac OS 9 (well, actually it is better in every single aspect)... </STRONG>

Baloney. None of OS X's great networking improvements do me any good if I have to lug around my AC adapter or a second battery. I really doubt you're getting the same power time out of OS X that you got out of OS 9. If you are, you're the first I've heard of.

I've had X die in the middle of meetings whereas 9 would last til the end of the day used conservatively. Your reply makes it pretty evident you don't use your 'Book in a day-to-day work environment.