PDA

View Full Version : concept about getting OS X to speed up.

Millennium
Jun 16, 1990, 07:45 PM
booboo is right.

There were three components to Speed Doubler. The first was Speed Copy, which added some major issues with copying at the time (most notably threading it right). These were rolled into OS9 and OSX.

The second component was Speed Emulator. It was a better 68K emulator than the one OS8 had. This is a nonissue with OSX, which no longer emulates the 68K processor anyway.

And unfortunately I don't remember what the third component was. But I'm not sure it's an issue either anymore.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Apr 5, 2002, 07:03 AM
do you guys remember Speed Doubler for OS 8. it was never updated for OS 9 but boy oh boy was it a phenomen. it literally worked wonders. It sped up the operating system considerably. the eptimoe of 'snappy'

sometimes I remember OS 8 would vary in speed, out of the blue for some unknown reason it would be exceptionally fast with no Speed Doubler installed. I'd be like, wooah! then after about an hour or so it'd go back down to its 'usual' speed.

two things to think about, I am not a programmer or a computer engineer.

[I used to run OS 8 on a beige 266Mhz G3 with 6GB of storage and 256Mb of RAM]

booboo
Apr 5, 2002, 07:36 AM
Speed Doubler - as far as I remember - improved various aspects of OS 8 that ceased being an issue in 9, let alone X - namely file copy speeds, both disk based and network. This is the main reason why the product was discontinued - as time went by, and Apple optimised the OS, there was less and less that Connectix could improve upon.

Speed Doubler also offered some 'intelligent' overwrite/replace options, and may have improved 68K emulation on first and some second generation PowerMac's

But these are all non-issues with X. 68K emulation is as fast as it needs to be -and isn't really part of X's domain, and file transfers are much, much faster than 9...

X's speed problems are much more about the (lack of) responsiveness of the UI (window resizing in general, the Finder in particular) i..e perceived speed - rather than X's actual speed - how fast the number-crunching is going on behind the scenes...

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: booboo ]