PDA

View Full Version : Serial Printer to USB for OS X?

Xhabbo
Dec 17, 2001, 12:50 AM
Hi guys-

I have a beige G3 266. I've really enjoyed working with OS X since the public beta. However, there is one last thing holding me back from going OS X full time. I have a serial printer. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that only USB printers are compatible with OS X. I was wondering if there were any suggestions out there floating around on how I could joyrig this "obsolete" Epson 740 serial printer up and working with OS X. I would appreciate any help - cables, adapters etc...

P.S. Please don't tell me to buy another f*cking printer. As you can see, I've had enough of that.

KidRed
Dec 17, 2001, 03:32 AM
Well, 2 choices-

1) Hold out and hope Epson releases a driver for a very old printer and lose money because you won't buy a new one

2) You buy a new printer but not buying it from the company that left you shafted- Epson.

I was in your boat and I bought the HP 940c and OMG is it quiet!! Prints just as nicely as the Epson but at a faint hum and it's got X drivers out.

lgerbarg
Dec 17, 2001, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Xhabbo:
<STRONG>Hi guys-

I have a beige G3 266. I've really enjoyed working with OS X since the public beta. However, there is one last thing holding me back from going OS X full time. I have a serial printer. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that only USB printers are compatible with OS X. I was wondering if there were any suggestions out there floating around on how I could joyrig this "obsolete" Epson 740 serial printer up and working with OS X. I would appreciate any help - cables, adapters etc...

P.S. Please don't tell me to buy another f*cking printer. As you can see, I've had enough of that.</STRONG>

The 740 has a serial port and a USB port. Just buy a $20 USB PCI card and a USB cable.

Louis

Spheric Harlot
Dec 17, 2001, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>I was in your boat and I bought the HP 940c and OMG is it quiet!! Prints just as nicely as the Epson but at a faint hum and it's got X drivers out.</STRONG>

The Epson Stylus 740 has OS X drivers - been using it since March.

Xhabbo
Dec 17, 2001, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I already have the USB card so I'll probably just look for a USB printer cable. Thanks