PDA

View Full Version : USB mic and OSX, will any mic do?

Sophus
Dec 17, 2001, 06:24 AM
I am about to try out ViaVoice, to see if its usable for my work. I need an USB mic for my G4 with OSX. I can get one from the Applestore, but its very expensive. I can get "Labtec Axis -712, Digital Stereo Headset AXIS712, USB" for half the price. Will this and other usb mics (not-built-for-mac) work with OSX
BTW any experiences with ViaVoice 3.0 for OSX? Good/bad. Is it really helpful or a pain in the a$$?

Sophus
:confused:

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Sophus ]

namannik
Dec 17, 2001, 06:37 PM
I have the iVoice from Macally, and it works in OS X audio apps. I have not tried out ViaVoice, though. If I were you, though, I'd go with Griffin's iMic. It's better quality, and is probably compatible with OS X.

ckohler
Dec 17, 2001, 07:30 PM
I just picked up a USB mic made by Labtek and it works in OSX. No drivers or anything.. just plug and play. It worked flawlessly with OSX's "Speakable Items" gizmo so I assume it will work with ViaVoice just as well.

Since we are on the subject of USB microphones.. I have a question. Is there no place in OSX to configure the recording level of a USB microphone? There was something like that in OS9, but I can't find anything in OSX.

I tried creating a screen capture video using Snapz Pro with voice over and while it did record my voice, it was barely audible because the recording level was too low. Since Snapz Pro has no place to adjust the recording level, what am I supposed to do?

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: ckohler ]

Sophus
Dec 18, 2001, 07:18 AM
I think there is a problem with SnapzPro and USB mics. Plaintalk seems to be the only alternative. check out this link: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum45/HTML/000032.html

Sophus

typoon
Dec 18, 2001, 10:20 AM
I think ViaVoice comes with a Mic.

Brit Ben
Dec 18, 2001, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Sophus:
<STRONG>I think there is a problem with SnapzPro and USB mics. Plaintalk seems to be the only alternative. check out this link: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum45/HTML/000032.html

Sophus</STRONG>

I remember reading somewhere else that the plantronics one is not supported by ViaVoice, so be careful going down that route.

Ben.

Brit Ben
Dec 18, 2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>

I remember reading somewhere else that the plantronics one is not supported by ViaVoice, so be careful going down that route.

Ben.</STRONG>

DOH !

FWUE. (Translation available upon request, but impolite :))

I thought he said plantronics, not plaintalk.
Never mind, advice stands.
Ben.

Brit Ben
Dec 18, 2001, 10:46 AM
And whilst on the subject of Mics, does anyone have any way to use the funky wireless bluetooth ericsson headset with OSX, maybe with a PCMCIA bluetooth adaptor, or even a USB - bluetooth device.

Cheers,
Ben.