PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot into OS 9

linefeed
Dec 17, 2001, 10:57 AM
I would like to boot back into OS 9 to do some CD burning with my sadly unsupported USB Que! Drive, but OS X doesn't seem to want me to.

I have Mac OS X 10.1.1 installed on one partition, and Mac OS 9.2.1 installed on another.

When I select my Mac OS 9.2.1 system folder in Mac OS X's Startup Disk prefences, the computer appears to save my change. However, when I reboot, Mac OS X immediately starts up. No blinking system folder, etc: it doesn't even seem to be searching for my OS 9 system folder.

I even tried booting from an OS 9 startup disk and setting the Startup Disk from there, but still no success. The computer boots into the CD's copy of OS 9 fine, but the computer still restarts into OS X.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: linefeed ]

Jelle Monkmater
Dec 17, 2001, 12:29 PM
Depending on the computer you're on, you can try to hold down the option key while starting up -- you just might be presented with an options list of which System Folder to use.

That is, unless you have a B&W G3, as far as I've heard.

sssnjr
Dec 17, 2001, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by linefeed:
<STRONG>I would like to boot back into OS 9 to do some CD burning with my sadly unsupported USB Que! Drive, but OS X doesn't seem to want me to.

I have Mac OS X 10.1.1 installed on one partition, and Mac OS 9.2.1 installed on another.

When I select my Mac OS 9.2.1 system folder in Mac OS X's Startup Disk prefences, the computer appears to save my change. However, when I reboot, Mac OS X immediately starts up. No blinking system folder, etc: it doesn't even seem to be searching for my OS 9 system folder.

I even tried booting from an OS 9 startup disk and setting the Startup Disk from there, but still no success. The computer boots into the CD's copy of OS 9 fine, but the computer still restarts into OS X.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: linefeed ]</STRONG>

sssnjr
Dec 17, 2001, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by sssnjr:

My 266 beige G3 did exactly the same thing. I held down the C key and restarted from a techtool (that's similar to Norton) CD. Then I defragged the partition containing OS 9.2.1. Fixed.