PDA

View Full Version : Can I login as root from the login panel?

Spliff
Dec 18, 2001, 04:09 AM
Is this possible? And if so, how? I can only enter the password for the users listed in the login panel.

Jelle Monkmater
Dec 18, 2001, 04:28 AM
I don't have access to my Mac at work, but from what I recall you can select from the Login prefs in the System Preferences to list 'other users' (or something along those lines -- might also be guest users) on the login prompt. What will happen is that a new icon will appear which, when clicked, allows you to enter 'root' as user, and root's password as, erm, password.

Scrod
Dec 18, 2001, 04:47 AM
Additionally, you'll need to have enabled the root user in NetInfo Manager. Of course, the ONLY reason you'd need to do this is if you absolutely had to log in as root in the GUI. Otherwise you can do anything else in the Terminal using the sudo command; enabling the root user is 100% unnecessary for that, and it's a security hazard to boot (not literally).

edddeduck
Dec 18, 2001, 08:52 PM
Goto prefs login then the Login Window tab..

Either select "Name and pass entry fields" for a name login/code for everyone or if you want it with icons tick the Show other user which gives an Icon saying other user click and that and it will ask for name pass...

Cheers Edd