PDA

View Full Version : OS X and 80 Minute 700 MB CD-Rs

lngtones
Jul 5, 2002, 12:05 AM
Sorry if this a well known fact, but does OS X not suppoert the 80 minute 700 MB CD-Rs?

Specifically talking about the Finder and Disk Copy. Any other program that DOES?

schep
Jul 5, 2002, 12:11 AM
yes

TheMosco
Jul 5, 2002, 12:15 AM
I have never tried to burn with those cds in the finder but i have used them in itunes with no problems. I know toast works with them.

BTP
Jul 5, 2002, 12:18 AM
They work fine for me in Finder, iTunes and Toast.

Only problems I have ever had with them turned out to be crappy media. I bought better stuff, problem solved.

Detrius
Jul 5, 2002, 12:48 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by lngtones:
<strong>Sorry if this a well known fact, but does OS X not suppoert the 80 minute 700 MB CD-Rs?

Specifically talking about the Finder and Disk Copy. Any other program that DOES?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I have an Iomega ZipCD 650. When burning these CD's with Toast, I get errors, and they won't burn. Toast thinks the burner doesn't support that CD. However, disk copy, and iTunes work just fine. Finder burning is just disk copy, so I assume the same. OS X does support burning that size. Your CD Burner might not.

macrob1n
Jul 5, 2002, 02:55 AM
I have been burning my way through a cheap spindle of 700mb cdr's and Toast knows the full size of the discs. disc burner only registers them as 650's, but when finder asks to format them ( if I forgot to open toast first) selecting iTunes format gives the full 80 minutes - All a bit mixed up in the finder ( remind me why do people critisize finder again )
The upshot is use toast.

edit - couldnt spell "use" - need more coffee

<small>[ 07-05-2002, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: macrob1n ]</small>

edddeduck
Jul 5, 2002, 06:28 AM
Always used 700MB CD's in OS X never a problem..

(Toast even lets you "overburn" to some degree at least)

Cheers Edwin

Zadian
Jul 5, 2002, 09:13 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by macrob1n:
<strong>disc burner only registers them as 650's</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Disk Burner burns the CDs as hybrid disks for Mac and Windows.
It seems as if that hybrid format needs about 50 MB of disk space. If you burn 650 MB CDs the finder will only use 600 MB.

If you want to burn a Mac only CD use Disk Copy. Create a disk image formated as HSF+ only, copy all your files to that image and burn it.
This way you can use the full 700 or 650 MB of the CD-R.

<small>[ 07-05-2002, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Zadian ]</small>

Mediaman_12
Jul 5, 2002, 12:27 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Zadian:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by macrob1n:
<strong>disc burner only registers them as 650's</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Disk Burner burns the CDs as hybrid disks for Mac and Windows.
It seems as if that hybrid format needs about 50 MB of disk space. If you burn 650 MB CDs the finder will only use 600 MB.

If you want to burn a Mac only CD use Disk Copy. Create a disk image formated as HSF+ only, copy all your files to that image and burn it.
This way you can use the full 700 or 650 MB of the CD-R.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That sucks why can't we have a '700MB HFS+ (MacOS only)' option in the prepare CDR OS popup window?

MorMac
Jul 6, 2002, 10:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Zadian:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by macrob1n:

This way you can use the full 700 or 650 MB of the CD-R.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The hybrid option under OS9's Finder CD burner allowed 690 MB. Toast allows the full 700 MB to be written to for a hybrid. I still see no good reason why OSX's Finder burner only sees 650 MB, in light of these examples.