PDA

View Full Version : Word crashing in X

t_hah
Dec 19, 2001, 01:16 AM
I have Word X installed (well, Office X). If I click on Word it would not load, it crashes right while launhing. Any ideas? I do not know how to go about this is X.

I am running 10.1.1 on a TiBook 768Mb of RAM.

Thanks.

t_hah
Dec 19, 2001, 03:16 AM
Did anyone else notice this? What can be wrong?
Any ideas?

Thanks

t

JonML
Dec 19, 2001, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by t_hah:
<STRONG>I have Word X installed (well, Office X). If I click on Word it would not load, it crashes right while launhing. Any ideas? I do not know how to go about this is X.

I am running 10.1.1 on a TiBook 768Mb of RAM.

Thanks.</STRONG>

There is a thread over in the 3rd party software forum. I think it boils down to some startup items wreaking a little havoc. Do you have the iTunes helper and "Entourage" (it's called something else, but it is installed by Entourage) startup items enabled?

t_hah
Dec 19, 2001, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I'll check that forums out.

t

b*tchy
Dec 19, 2001, 03:51 PM
Actually the other thing to check are your fonts. 90% of the word startup crashes I've seen are because of fonts. There is an easy way to check this: remove all non-apple fonts from all three font folders (root, user, OS 9) and see if it starts. Odds are it will. Then start adding your fonts a few at a time.

edddeduck
Dec 19, 2001, 06:57 PM
If you have toast installed it will crash out office apps remove a file called toast VCD support or something of that ilk from the quicktime folder in the library. This could be it macfixit will have more on this subject.

Cheers Edd

t_hah
Dec 20, 2001, 04:37 AM
I do not have Toast, I tried to remove the Fonts...no luck. Word would not start, just crashes while launching.
Very odd. I wish I could figure this out...it is kicking my butt.
Any other ideas?

t

edddeduck
Dec 20, 2001, 09:25 AM
Try and open a word document not the application that worked for me as a get around for the crash at booting bug for my machine.

Once Word is open turn of the big selection box thing that appears when the app boots (in prefs) thats what causes the crash.

Cheers Edd