PDA

View Full Version : wide open Mac networking

sodamnregistered2
Sep 22, 2002, 04:45 PM
I'm trying to get wide open Mac networking.

We are a 2 man office, and Mac to Mac networking seems to sukk azz.

I don't want to use Public folders, I want to put whatever wherever whenver.

Security be damned, I want to move my files around on my internal network with out Fascist Apple making jump hoops.

Is this possible?

thanks...

sodamnregistered2
Sep 22, 2002, 04:53 PM
This might do the trick, we'll see.

sharepoints (http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/)

sodamnregistered2
Sep 22, 2002, 05:04 PM
restarting "AppleFileServer" in Sharepoints went a long way towards fixing my inability to even log into my computers from another computer.

I was getting bad user bas password errors, even though user and password were supposedly good.

Where is the OSX 10.2.1 equivilent to restarting AFS, short of a reboot?

piracy
Sep 22, 2002, 07:02 PM
"Fascist Apple"? "Jumping through hoops"? Being a little melodramatic, aren't we? Macs, and Apple networking technologies such as AppleShare, AppleShare IP, the slowly-being-phased-out AppleTalk, and its functional replacement, Rendezvous, are generally regarded in computing and IT circles to be among the best and easiest of any available option! So, not sure what you're referring to here...

Anyway, you have a few options. You've probably noticed that admin users have access to the whole disk. So one option is to connect from one machine to the other as an admin user on that machine, thereby giving you complete access to the disk. In other words, you'll each create a remote admin user account on each other's machines for you to connect to. The only thing you *won't* have access to is each other's home directories. And for good reason! - this is hardly "fascist". Another option you've discovered is SharePoints, which lets you manipulate the AFP sharepoints on the disk. You could then, say, give complete access to each other's home directories (with some modification), or other areas of the disk, etc., as you see fit.

I'll take a wild guess, though, that you're going after things being more automated; i.e., essentially being "always connected" to each other's machines, and able to put things pretty much anywhere, without ever having to go through the motions of actually connecting to the other machine, entering passwords, etc. For this, you may consider NFS exporting and mounting. The mounts here basically "just happen", as long as the other machine is turned on and not asleep, and it can be secure. You could export, say, the whole disk of one machine to the other - and only the other - and vice versa. The mounts are then accessible just as if they're local disks. I'd recommend using NFSManager (http://www.bresink.de/osx/NFSManager.html) if you plan on looking into this.

There are also ways of automatic AppleShare connectivity as well; for example, you could have the remote machine always mount upon login or startup; have aliases on your desktop to the other machine for easy access... Not sure exactly how easy you want it, but I would have to say that Mac networking doesn't "suck azz"; rather, quite the opposite.

As for your bad user/pass troubles: again, not sure what your problem is. If that's really the user's password, and file sharing is turned on, you can connect, period, unless you've royally f*cked something up on your machines (which, from your initial tirade, I wouldn't be surprised if you did). You do not need to restart Apple File Services for password changes to take effect, and the "equivalent of restarting Apple File Services" is, well, restarting Apple File Services. But since you've done a horrid job of actually describing your problem, I can't really answer your questions any further.

sodamnregistered2
Sep 22, 2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks, nice reply.

I have a bad habit of posting here after messing with stuff that does not work. I also ate me some food, so that's good for the ol' nerves.

I was just mad because I had valid users with admin privileges and I could not even log-in, much less have free reign.

I toggled AFS and could log-in, so I felt like I wasted a lot of time and I'm not sure where the problem is.

The systems are pretty fresh, unmolested installs.

I'm just out of synch. I don't use home directories for anything, and I'm not likely to start using them anytime soon and this whole AFS thing seems rooted in home directories, and if I move something to one machine then often I won't have permission to manipulate as i see fit.

I use w2k and SuSE linux as well. I guess I just wish I could un-UNIX the multiuser aspect on OSX since don't want to use it, and thusly it mostly gets in the way of my workflow to have to dork with permissions and stuff like that.

I go between computers alot. My SuSE server running netalk gives me less grief (well, type-50 errors aside). Users and groups don't seem to act as unified in OSX.

I'll look into some of your suggestions, thanks. HOPEFULLY others will find utility in all this as well.

sodamnregistered2
Sep 22, 2002, 07:46 PM
For whatever reason restarting AFS fixed everything. I did not and do not expect it to need such restarting, so I was trying to fix I a problem I didn't even really have.

That'll getcha' everytime.

Users with Admin privileges seem to be working again, and that's all I ever wanted, all I ever needed, was files by my side.